Thread: S&W 686+ 3"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Did pickup a sweet little s&w 38-1 last week. Shoots great and has a smooth action. Can't beat a vintage Smith.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetti462 View Post
    Did pickup a sweet little s&w 38-1 last week. Shoots great and has a smooth action. Can't beat a vintage Smith.
    That is my carry gun. Mine is a transitional model with matte chrome finish. IMO the bodyguard models are the best snubbies out there.

It means I can buy one. Actually the gun is exactly as the one you can buy. Taxachusetts just has these laws to make it hard for manufacturers to sell their guns here. Yes, a 10 lb trigger is "required" by Mass law but this is not true. The Sig 238, 938, 365 do not have 10 lb triggers. If they don't have a 10lb trigger, it usually has 3 safeties. It's confusing.
    Each Mfg has to send their firearm to the State approved testing facility for approval. This cost, for what I've heard, anywhere from $1500 to 10K for approval. And that is for each model!
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    It means I can buy one. Actually the gun is exactly as the one you can buy. Taxachusetts just has these laws to make it hard for manufacturers to sell their guns here. Yes, a 10 lb trigger is "required" by Mass law but this is not true. The Sig 238, 938, 365 do not have 10 lb triggers. If they don't have a 10lb trigger, it usually has 3 safeties. It's confusing.
    Each Mfg has to send their firearm to the State approved testing facility for approval. This cost, for what I've heard, anywhere from $1500 to 10K for approval. And that is for each model!
    Sounds to me like the citizens need to gather up the state lawmakers and throw them in the Boston harbor. To think the early colonists protested the king for his BS and to see the state now with laws like that. What a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by yetti462 View Post
    Sounds to me like the citizens need to gather up the state lawmakers and throw them in the Boston harbor. To think the early colonists protested the king for his BS and to see the state now with laws like that. What a shame.
    The laws are so screwed up here it's ridiculous. Let's take Glocks, for instance. An FFL in Mass cannot sell me a Glock, but A private citizen, like myself, can purchase a Glock frame because in Mass, it is not a gun. So, you can buy a frame from an FFL (if they will do it, some won't) and a 4473 is done, then you buy a complete slide for it, then you register it as a gun on the Mass Gun Portal known as an E-FA-10. If a LEO owns a Glock, they can sell it to any private citizen. Oh ,if the Glock is pre- ban, before 1994, then FFL's can sell them because they are pre-ban and you can also own 17 rd mags for it as long as they are pre-ban. The AG banned "assault rifles" here a few years ago. Basically no AR's, but you can buy a Ruger carbine that holds a 30 rd mag which is not an assault rifle because it does not look like an AR?
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

6. Member
    Well, I traded my Kimber K6S DCR in on a S&W 686 Plus Deluxe 3” barrel .357 magnum today. It caught my eye last couple times I was in the local gun shop. Did a lot of research on the 686 Plus, figured it would suit my use better than the 2 inch Kimber.

The Kimber while beautiful was a handful to shoot with magnum loads, the kick was pretty hard. The 686 should be much easier to shoot, plus it’s both DA/SA. And with the Kimber I couldn’t get a full 4 finger purchase on the grips, whereas the 686 gives you a full purchase to help control the recoil.

^^^Good Trade!

8. Member
    Saw the S&W 329PD recently and it definitely has my attention. Costs a pretty penny but a .44 that weighs 25 ounces would be easy to carry
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

9. Moderator
    Nothing wrong with any of the SW wheel guns. I have a Ruger GP100 Match Champion and it’s possibly my favorite gun.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    Well, I traded my Kimber K6S DCR in on a S&W 686 Plus Deluxe 3” barrel .357 magnum today. It caught my eye last couple times I was in the local gun shop. Did a lot of research on the 686 Plus, figured it would suit my use better than the 2 inch Kimber.

The Kimber while beautiful was a handful to shoot with magnum loads, the kick was pretty hard. The 686 should be much easier to shoot, plus it’s both DA/SA. And with the Kimber I couldn’t get a full 4 finger purchase on the grips, whereas the 686 gives you a full purchase to help control the recoil.
    Have you shot the 3" yet? If so what are you impressions on the barrel length? I was finally able to handle a 4" a couple weeks ago and loved it but it was out of state so I couldn't buy. Still torn 3-4 but now leaning toward the 4". LGS said about $730 from his distributor.

11. Member
    Haven’t had a chance to get out shooting yet. It feels very good & balanced in the hand. I’ve only got about 150 rounds of.357, & am almost afraid to go shoot it, since I can’t replace it right now due to ammo shortage.

The 4 inch should be a sweet gun also.

Heck I’m contemplating a 6 inch S&W .22 magnum, model # 648, found one I liked pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    Haven’t had a chance to get out shooting yet. It feels very good & balanced in the hand. I’ve only got about 150 rounds of.357, & am almost afraid to go shoot it, since I can’t replace it right now due to ammo shortage.

The 4 inch should be a sweet gun also.

Heck I’m contemplating a 6 inch S&W .22 magnum, model # 648, found one I liked pretty good
    The 648 is a sweet pistol. I highly recommend picking the one you found up. They're hard to fome by. The one you located a pre-lock?

13. Member
    Nah, it’s a new model. I’ve been watching a couple of YouTube video reviews and folks really give it some praise. The .22wmr from a 6 inch barrel should be pretty potent. It has an 8 round cylinder, I think the earlier 648 had 6 shot cylinders.

The local gun shop owner said he’d rather have .22wmr than .38 special in terms of performance.

S&W re-released the 648 last year. here is a short video.

Last edited by spinningreel; 08-26-2020 at 07:06 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12