Thread: S&W 686+ 3"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

S&W 686+ 3"

Thinking of getting my first wheel gun and was looking at a 3" 686+. When looking on S&W website the SKU# comes back as MA compliant, what does that mean? Trigger? I don't see any other model besides Custom Shop or Deluxe. Just wanting a plain 686+ in 3". The have a 4" and 6" and i haven't ran those SKU#'s to see if they are designated MA compliant. Should I even worry about this?

2. Member
    The Mass AG put out a rule that trigger weight in DA pistols must be at least 10 lbs, but the standard DA trigger weight is 10 lbs so they didn't have to change anything there. For semi autos the gun comes with 10 rd magazines.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeSF View Post
    The Mass AG put out a rule that trigger weight in DA pistols must be at least 10 lbs, but the standard DA trigger weight is 10 lbs so they didn't have to change anything there. For semi autos the gun comes with 10 rd magazines.
    So basically by design the 3", 4",& 6" are all MA compliant and these are not specific MA guns like some semi autos correct?

4. Member
    My understanding is that barrel length for revolvers is not restricted by the MASS AG. I recommend you call the Massachusetts general attorney's office to get the correct and updated information. When ever I travel across state lines I always call the state police to get the right info on transporting weapons and ammo.

5. Member
    I doubt I'll be going to MA I was just concerned that there maybe something "different" about this particular model but there is not an alternative offered like for semi autos (MA vs non-MA compliant).

6. Member
    I have a taurus tracker with a 4" barrel nice gun but dammmmm loud with the ports
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

7. Member
    For the first wheel gun, Im glad to see your choosing one that will accept other ammo. If in a pinch ( like now) the 357 works well with 38s

Be warned. One s&w leads to others. I am a s&w fan, my first handgun was a 686-3 6". The 686 is a well balanced pistol, they are a joy with 38 and handle full house 357 good.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetti462 View Post
    Be warned. One s&w leads to others. I am a s&w fan, my first handgun was a 686-3 6". The 686 is a well balanced pistol, they are a joy with 38 and handle full house 357 good.
    Torn between 3" and 4". I like the square butt grip of the 4" but the 3" would give the opportunity to CC it I chose to do so.

10. Member
    Been looking at the 686 + Deluxe magnum 7 shot capacity, 3” barrel.

MidwayUSA has it for $750.

11. Member
    I don’t really know anyone who would enjoy packing an l frame except for woods type use. Now a k frame is much easier to pack and could actually be used as a carry gun imo.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I don’t really know anyone who would enjoy packing an l frame except for woods type use. Now a k frame is much easier to pack and could actually be used as a carry gun imo.
    Like a 66?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    Been looking at the 686 + Deluxe magnum 7 shot capacity, 3” barrel.

MidwayUSA has it for $750.
    Those are sweet looking with the wood grips.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    Like a 66?
    yes. 10,19,64,65,66 etc are a much better option to actually carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    Like a 66?
    I have a 4" 66 love it. I would love a 2". I was at an auction a year ago and was bidding on a mint condition 2" 66. I backed off and still kick myself in the arse for not continuing to bid. It sold for a good price, if memory serves me correct it went for $700. I do have a 3"65. It is a sweet packing 357. It's a Lady Smith model, with full house 357, she's a beotch.

16. Member
    The 66 Combat Magnum is intriguing.

17. Member
    If anyone is looking for a packing revolver check out the kimbers. I am no kimber fan but their revolvers are very nice.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    If anyone is looking for a packing revolver check out the kimbers. I am no kimber fan but their revolvers are very nice.
    Damn, just looked. Now my decision on if and what to buy has again changed.

19. Member
    I actually own a Kimber K6S DCR (Deluxe Carry revolver). 2 inch, nice rosewood grips, fiber optic front sight, concealed hammer version. Very satisfied.

Would like to get a 3" exposed hammer version.

20. Member
    Only thing I cannot find anywhere around to get my hands on a 3" or 4" or a Kimber. Going through Little Rock today i called BPS they had a 4" but when I stopped by you had to wait in line to get in as other people left to keep only a certain amount of people in the store. Their price was MSRP which I'm not paying just wanted to hold one. Don't know where I'd have to go to hold a 3" or a Kimber. Nobody seems to stock revolvers anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast