Question Merc 250 4S - Shift Lever - Binding

Merc 250 4 S 2B586341.

I am having an issue when taking the boat off the trailer.

While putting the shift lever in reverse, taking the boat off the trailer, the shifter feels like it is binding.

I then move the shifter forward to park the boat at the ramp and it does the same thing.

Start the boat up again when leaving the ramp the shifter seems fine for the rest of the day.

Any thoughts ???

its going to be your cable...
    sounds like its getting pinched when you have the motor in the tilt position...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

3. Member
    Thanks for the input. I don't think it's a motor tilt position issue.

When driving to beach the boat the motor is in an almost vertical position.

4. Dogfish_Jones
    Have you ran any transducer wiring up through that channel to your console? For that matter any new wiring? It well could have wrapped around your cables.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good idea to post a picture of your control. There are a couple of items that can cause the control itself to bind (especially loose screws on the back of the control handle).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Mr. Don,

Pic as requested. Sorry for the "rotation".

Pic was vertical when I copied it......
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Need to check the back of the shift handle for anything loose- and then remove the handle to check the nylon bushing (as well as the lockout-latch mechanism).

Unless the cable is damaged- or one of the keepers is loose/open inside the cowling, the problem would VERY likely be in the handle itself (the shift-demand switch inside the engine cowling is the only thing the cable is operating).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Threadjack not intended, just a quick question, and perhaps pertinent to OP for troubleshooting... I have same controls as pictured above and there are a couple of loose screws that secure the little plate on the backside of the lever itself, which are triggering slight OCD. Only way I can tighten them is to remove the lever... will the nut under the center cap (warm up button?), allow me to remove the shift/throttle lever, and is it standard thread (righty tighty lefty loosey)? I had made an attempt to remove that nut last summer but it didnt budge and thought it best to ask before applying any more torque.

Thank you.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The bolt that retains the shift handle is (standard) RH thread. Your suggestion is certainly a good one as that back cover (held with two small screws) can work loose and cause binding.

10. Member
    Have you found what the problem was/is ?
    Thanks

11. Member
    Removed the shift lever and looked for loose screws. Did not notice anything unusual and tightened everything up. Hooked up in driveway seems OK.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    May simply have been the plastic sleeve, or some odd-alignment problem.