Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by sabbott1958 View Post
    I have stopped listening to the Lowrance snake oil claims. Over and over they promote and promise this new tech that’s going to best the Garmin Livescope system. The problem is it’s all just talk.
    I have been a Lowrance customer for 25 years. I have 3 HDS Carbons, two 12s and a 16. I also bought the Ghost (I do love the trolling motor) but when I bought it I was told I could also buy the new 3-1 nose cone transducer. This nose cone installs by removing one Allen bolt, removing the existing nose cone, then replacing it with the 3 in 1 nose cone that has structure and side scan built into the nose cone. Looked great in the ads. Finally can have structure and side scan on the trolling motor without strapping a skimmer that’s not supposed to be there.
    But..... I found out, true to Lowrance form, it’s just not available yet!!!
    Anyway, enough Lowrance loyalty for me. I bought a Garmin 126 and Livescope system yesterday. To heck with Lowrance.
    Please report back with your findings.. And thanks for your honesty!
    Basscat P4

depends on what garmin is willing to give them.

3. Member
    I’m right there with you just picked up a Garmin from BPS with Livescope can’t wait to try it out. Lowrance needs to get it together if they want my money anymore.

4. Member
    Depending on how you use new technology, and what you want from it, can determine how useful it is. A friend of mine added LiveScope to his previously all Lowrance system just because he wanted a competitive advantage for tournaments. It has not helped him, and I would argue it has hurt him for tournament success by his results. Now this could be that he hasn't made the necessary adjustments so I am not disparaging the technology; just making an observation.

He clearly has improved his crappie success, but his bass success has declined. I suspect the range is one reason, as he is fishing closer to his targets in order to see them, and maybe they are also now aware of his presence and are spooked. Having fished with him and his LiveScope, there is no doubt his system has the "cool" factor, and it is neat to see the fish swim. We typically fish deep water so shallow situations would be different, but I often catch more bass from the back of his boat than he catches using his LiveScope because I cast much farther to unseen targets, and likely to bass that don't know we are there. IMHO he tends to sit on bass he sees too long, with little to show for it.

Conversely, my LiveSight shows me fish also. Not as pretty as his LiveScope does, but I see more fish, and further away. I don't see the close-in detail he gets at all; no comparison. If I was fishing crappie and other panfish, his does a better job. But as a bass angler and also saltwater angler, my LiveSight is very useful and hopefully one day it can provide even more range. I do believe long range and fine detail are hard to obtain in affordable units. Personally because bass are such effective predators, I'll take range over detail any day of the week. Of course the ability to switch to long range (at the expense of detail) and back to close range with detail would be a welcomed addition.

As some have heard me say before, I also liked my SpotLightScan, and miss having it. At first I hated it, and realized that the problem I was having was my ability to control the scanning with my trolling motor. Once I adjusted my steering cable tension properly, and added a TrollPerfect, and learned how fast to scan, it became a valuable tool. Unfortunately the complaints hurt the sales before we learned how to make adjustments, so Lowrance dropped it instead of improving it. Now the developer is doing it for the competition. It is all good in the end, as competition affects business models, and keeps ensuring manufacturers have to innovate to stay relevant.
    Last edited by Marc Marcantonio; 03-21-2020 at 07:15 PM.
    ciao,
    Marc

5. Member
    Informative post, Marc

One of the best post on that forum!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Marcantonio View Post
    Depending on how you use new technology, and what you want from it, can determine how useful it is. A friend of mine added LiveScope to his previously all Lowrance system just because he wanted a competitive advantage for tournaments. It has not helped him, and I would argue it has hurt him for tournament success by his results. Now this could be that he hasn't made the necessary adjustments so I am not disparaging the technology; just making an observation.

He clearly has improved his crappie success, but his bass success has declined. I suspect the range is one reason, as he is fishing closer to his targets in order to see them, and maybe they are also now aware of his presence and are spooked. Having fished with him and his LiveScope, there is no doubt his system has the "cool" factor, and it is neat to see the fish swim. We typically fish deep water so shallow situations would be different, but I often catch more bass from the back of his boat than he catches using his LiveScope because I cast much farther to unseen targets, and likely to bass that don't know we are there. IMHO he tends to sit on bass he sees too long, with little to show for it.

Conversely, my LiveSight shows me fish also. Not as pretty as his LiveScope does, but I see more fish, and further away. I don't see the close-in detail he gets at all; no comparison. If I was fishing crappie and other panfish, his does a better job. But as a bass angler and also saltwater angler, my LiveSight is very useful and hopefully one day it can provide even more range. I do believe long range and fine detail are hard to obtain in affordable units. Personally because bass are such effective predators, I'll take range over detail any day of the week. Of course the ability to switch to long range (at the expense of detail) and back to close range with detail would be a welcomed addition.

As some have heard me say before, I also liked my SpotLightScan, and miss having it. At first I hated it, and realized that the problem I was having was my ability to control the scanning with my trolling motor. Once I adjusted my steering cable tension properly, and added a TrollTamer, and learned how fast to scan, it became a valuable tool. Unfortunately the complaints hurt the sales before we learned how to make adjustments, so Lowrance dropped it instead of improving it. Now the developer is doing it for the competition. It is all good in the end, as competition affects business models, and keeps ensuring manufacturers have to innovate to stay relevant.
    Thank you!
    Basscat P4

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRC18D View Post
    Sounds like he was in there just over a year and a half. It’s not surprising, they have had problems with upper management for a while now. People were fed up with it and decided it was time for a change. Good news for us hopefully.
    Not sure what you guys are talking about: This was the end of June 2019. Are you saying Frostad is out or is somebody full of it>
    Egersund, Norway – Navico, parent company to the Lowrance®, Simrad®, B&G® and C-MAP® brands announced today that its board of directors has appointed Knut Frostad as President and Chief Executive Officer – assuming the role of outgoing chief executive, Leif Ottosson.
    “We thank Leif Ottosson for leading ten years of transformation and growth in Navico,” said Hugo Maurstad, chairman of the board of Navico. “Under his management, revenues have doubled, and we have seen a manyfold increase in earnings as well as significant improvements to our supply chain and R&D programs.”
    “Knut Frostad has been on Navico’s board for 14 years and brings solid experience in the industry and understanding of our business as former CEO of the Volvo Ocean Race, as well as director and advisor to several international companies. I can think of no one better to take over and lead Navico into a new era,” continued Maurstad.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by InternationalMarine Brian View Post
    depends on what garmin is willing to give them.
    Let's be clear on this one. It's not what Garmin is willing to do, it's what the law suit settlement says that they WILL do following Garmin's infringement on Lowrance and HB patents.

10. Member
    Would be interesting to see if Garmin has improved on Livescope releases it then gives lowrance the old version To abide by the lawsuit. It’s already happened once I wonder if they would do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    Let's be clear on this one. It's not what Garmin is willing to do, it's what the law suit settlement says that they WILL do following Garmin's infringement on Lowrance and HB patents.
    exactly...what garmin was willing to give them. the courts didnt decide that...garmin and lowrance did. that's why you got the 1st gen product.

12. Member
    I am one of the guys that has 3 12's and added the livescope to my setup. Life is too short to wait. I also got the 1st generation Ultrex. Both of these tools make my fishing so much more fun!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    Not sure what you guys are talking about: This was the end of June 2019. Are you saying Frostad is out or is somebody full of it>
    Egersund, Norway – Navico, parent company to the Lowrance®, Simrad®, B&G® and C-MAP® brands announced today that its board of directors has appointed Knut Frostad as President and Chief Executive Officer – assuming the role of outgoing chief executive, Leif Ottosson.
    “We thank Leif Ottosson for leading ten years of transformation and growth in Navico,” said Hugo Maurstad, chairman of the board of Navico. “Under his management, revenues have doubled, and we have seen a manyfold increase in earnings as well as significant improvements to our supply chain and R&D programs.”
    “Knut Frostad has been on Navico’s board for 14 years and brings solid experience in the industry and understanding of our business as former CEO of the Volvo Ocean Race, as well as director and advisor to several international companies. I can think of no one better to take over and lead Navico into a new era,” continued Maurstad.
    Knut Frostad is still Navico CEO and president.

14. Member
    Well they better hurry up or I’m switching everything to Garmin in the next few months. I’ve been Lowrance for 20 years and I’ve about had it.

15. Member
    LiveSight would have been a HUGE success if it was a free software upgrade.

16. Member
    Yea but that will never happen. Lowrance doesn’t seem to have the right mindset nor hardware to make that possible. You can only make so many software changes. The hardware has to be updated to see significant results. Which means they’ll want you to buy a new graph to go with a new transducer. Just seems to be the cycle at lowrance.

17. Member
    great post...dont feel so bad about upgrading my old Gen2 T to Live units

I had my LiveSight out last week walleye fishing and easily saw fish out past 100 feet. I don't remember seeing this before the new update. The water column was very clear and the fish showed up easily. This was in the forward mode and I used it while slow trolling. Please remember that these images are more like little blobs moving around but its not hard to figure out what they are. So far the 20.0 seems to have improved it.

Right now Garmin has big problems with livescope. The new Perspective update Ruined the Forward view that was so great. So now they have a newer update to fix the last update. New one is bad too. At this point I dont care about Perspective and just want it back the way it was.

Interesting information. I made the decision to go Lowrance a week ago because my boat dealer is a Lowrance dealer. I have had issues with Garmin avionics so I was happy to have an alternate choice. Be interesting how it plays out long term.
    Ranger R81
    Lowrance HDS Live 9”
    Lowrance HDS Live 12”
    Active Target 2 on Seelite Pole
    Lowrance Ghost
    Mercury 175

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12