Ranger to a Phoenix

anyone went from a ranger to a phoenix or road in a phoenix need your thought, going to look at a 920 this weekend

Sorry, I am no help on this one.
    Brad Whitaker
    whittyoutdoors.com --- Use code BBC5 at checkout for 5% off
    Whitty Outdoors handmade crankbaits

08 Stratos 201XL 250 HO E-tec
    05 Weld-Craft 1852 semi-v 115/80 Mercury jetdrive

3. Member
    Full disclosure, I have a Phoenix 919. My buddy has an older 520. I really like the ride of the Phoenix better. The Ranger always felt nose down to me. You will have to learn how to drive the Phoenix seeing as it is a quicker boat.

4. Member
    you had any issues and what year do you have if you have had issues

5. Member
    Ive rode in both.....a lot has to do with driver and set up honestly....pretty close to similar boats.....im a Falcon guy.....badass boat for wayyyy less money!
    2019 Falcon 215 Yamaha Sho 250, Lithiums, X2, Poles, Ultrex, Birds, Mega 360 & Livescope.

Previous-2017 Falcon 205 Evinrude G2 250HO, Lithiums, Poles, Ultrex, Birds and 360.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scum_frog View Post
    Ive rode in both.....a lot has to do with driver and set up honestly....pretty close to similar boats.....im a Falcon guy.....badass boat for wayyyy less money!
    i will have to look at a Falcon just can stomach a new boat and then end up putting a nick in it but guess its part of the game

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowater2shallow View Post
    you had any issues and what year do you have if you have had issues
    2015. No issues with the boat or motor. The trailer has had some issues. Had one part where a rivet got out and water got under the gatorhyde and rusted a spot that I had welded back together.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnpro1 View Post
    2015. No issues with the boat or motor. The trailer has had some issues. Had one part where a rivet got out and water got under the gatorhyde and rusted a spot that I had welded back together.
    how did you fix your gatorhyde

9. Member
    Sprayed some flex seal

10. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Rustoleum also makes a rust-proof paint with a textured finish. I used some to touch up a Ranger trailer and it was a perfect match. Got it at Walmart.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

11. Member
    I have been in both boats. The Phoenix will seem a lot bigger than your current boat. The front deck is large. The Phoenix seemed to be Narrow compared to the Ranger 520. The Phoenix ride was very good and dry. We went from Sandusky to Pelee in the Phoenix with no issues and it handled the tough water well. It was fast as well. But again, my opinion is the platform on the Ranger 520 is better for fishing but the Phoenix will but good as well. Compared to what you have and your size, it will feel like an aircraft carrier.

12. Member
    I went from a Z21 -> Z519C to a 920 ProXP. In my personal opinion, the Phoenix is hands down a better boat in every way. This is coming from a 2 x Ranger owner. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

13. Member
    Well went and looked at the 920 this weekend and the trailer was in good shape there was a little wiggle in the folding tongue but i figure that was normal, the boat as a whole was so so was a three small horizontal stress cracks in the top cap on the passenger side and four scratches but what i really did not like was the bottom looked like it had been sanded and i can not figure out why and the scratches that looked to be in it i could not feel with my finger nail and the dealer could not tell me what state the boat was from just that it was bought at auction, might call a close Pheonix dealer and see what cost would be to fix the cosmetic issues

14. Member
    Well went and looked at the 920 this weekend and the trailer was in good shape there was a little wiggle in the folding tongue but i figure that was normal, the boat as a whole was so so was a three small horizontal stress cracks in the top cap on the passenger side and four scratches but what i really did not like was the bottom looked like it had been sanded and i can not figure out why and the scratches that looked to be in it i could not feel with my finger nail and the dealer could not tell me what state the boat was from just that it was bought at auction, might call a close Pheonix dealer and see what cost would be to fix the cosmetic issues
    phoenix seems to have lots of glass issues and poor quality carpet issues also. front rollers were wearing out the glass on newer boats for awhile exposing the sub layer behind the outside layer
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    phoenix seems to have lots of glass issues and poor quality carpet issues also. front rollers were wearing out the glass on newer boats for awhile exposing the sub layer behind the outside layer
    this would explain a lot of what i was seeing

16. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I’d stay away from a boat in iffy condition with no provenance, meaning that no one knows where it’s been or what has [or hasn’t] been done to it. Unless the current owner/dealer is prepared to warranty anything that appears for a while.... I know that used boats are always a gamble, but when buying from a private owner or a dealer who took a trade-in, at least they have their reputation to consider. “Bought at an auction” would be a red flag for me.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    I would say Phoenix has the same amount of glass issues as any other boat manufacturer.
    It's not poor quality carpet, they use a lighter weight carpet. It wears quicker than heavier weights, but I would not call it poor quality.
    They replaced the rollers on the new boats and it's not causing issues anymore. You can buy a Stoltz roller for older boats to fix the issue for roughly $30.

To OP - sounds like someone beat the snot out of that boat, or did not take care of it. I will say one thing about Phoenix. Their customer service is leaps and bounds above any other boats. If you end up buying a Phoenix and have issues that aren't caused by negligence they will take care of you.
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS