Thread: buzzbait advice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

buzzbait advice

What buzzbait is the best at being able to stay on the surface at slow speeds? And I am excluding the River2Sea one that has the whopper plopper like blades since I already tried it and didn't care for it. When the water temps hit about 60 here, you can get a good buzzbait bite but it has to be one that you can reel very slowly. I know a 1/4 oz will do the trick but I'm wanting something heavier for longer casts and casts when there is wind.

2. Banned
    Are You sold on a Buzzbait ? What if there was a bait that had the properties of a Buzzbait but You could stop the retrieve and let the bait just sit there? Where these pay off is if the fish swipe at it You can let it just sit there..

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Dami...age-DAMF3.html

here is there Buzzbait offering:

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Dami...age-DMTBN.html

3. Member
    I like a buzzbait with a flat head. It seems to help them get to the top easier and stay there at slow speeds. Prototype Lures and Culprit make a buzzbait like this. Or have you looked into a tri-wing buzzbait?

4. Member
    Slowest buzzbait and also the most weedless ever made is "Pat Floyds" buzzbait. If your lucky you might be able to find 1 on ebay. Made in Northern Indiana many years ago.. Look that it has buck tail for the skirt

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    Are You sold on a Buzzbait ? What if there was a bait that had the properties of a Buzzbait but You could stop the retrieve and let the bait just sit there? Where these pay off is if the fish swipe at it You can let it just sit there..

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Dami...age-DAMF3.html

here is there Buzzbait offering:

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Dami...age-DMTBN.html
    You still don't get the bite inducing squeal of a properly broken in buzzbait.

6. Member
    Megastrike Cavitron
    2006 Stratos 294 Pro XL.2005 Yamaha 200 VMAX 3.1L. 8" Hydro Dynamics Rapid Jack. Ultrex 112 I-Plot link. 2 Helix 10 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N.

Revenge Baits buzzbaits impressed me this past season. They stay on top easily at low speed. I throw a lot of buzzbaits, and have culled more than I like to admit.
    https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Reve...age-RBWBB.html
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

8. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    For slow retrieves a 3 blade helps me. Whatever you do Don’t remove the skirt and put a paddletail swimbait on it! It doesn’t work!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    For slow retrieves a 3 blade helps me. Whatever you do Don’t remove the skirt and put a paddletail swimbait on it! It doesn’t work!
    Yep, a 3 or 4 blade buzzbait. Bill Norman and Strike King each used to make one. The Norman had a metal blade and the Strike King had a clear plastic blade.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    Yep, hasn't worked for me with 40+ years of adding a swimbait body. Back then the only one available was the little fishie.

11. Member
    Strike King still makes their tri-wing buzzbait with metal blades though I believe the heaviest model is 5/16

12. Banned
    Or you could roll with a double propped version like Hart or Blue Fox

13. Member
    Hard to beat the original Lunker Lure in most all situations
    Comanche20 (Don)
    2008 Ranger Z 20, 225 RUDE
    Ultrex 45/36/112
    2 Birds
    2020 F150 LIMITED Eco Boost

14. Member
    You can fish my Double Blade pretty slow , Only make 1/2 ounce .
    Catching fish all over the country.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Commanche20 View Post
    I doubt you need to go any slower than a Lunker lure will.

16. Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I have a few of the cavitron buzzbaits and they do a decent job. I've looked at the air frogs before, but I'm really looking for a buzzbait (I have plenty of rage toads, rage shads, and ribbits) and I'd have a hard time swallowing the $8 price for 3 soft plastic frogs. I've thought about trying to find a 3 or 4 blade buzzbait with the plastic blades since I would think the plastic would weigh less and have more buoyancy than metal blades. I've also heard that a dual blade buzzbait allows for slower retrieves, but I haven't tried one for so long that I forget if that was my experience with them. Thanks again!

17. Member
    Accent High Rider B2, I use them (1/4 oz.) when I need a slow retrieve speed.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Minnesota97 View Post
    Accent High Rider B2, I use them (1/4 oz.) when I need a slow retrieve speed.
    Thanks! I'll definitely give this one a look (in the 3/8 oz size or 1/2 oz size)

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Commanche20 View Post
    Absolutely!!

20. Member
    The Lunker Lure Flat Shad buzzbait will also get looked at. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast