Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    Most all the rsetrictions are exempt for foodservice and trucking related to foodservice.
    I just called my dispatcher and I will be given a letter of exemption when I come in for my next load, basically the same as when they implement curfews after a hurricane.

2. Member
    It's a pandemic and it's spread around the world. The number will continue to climb, mostly due to increased testing. Its been in the population, it just hasn't been tested for it. In this country, New York has been the most aggressive in testing. That's why almost half of all US cases are from New York. If Texas, Washington, California and/or Florida tested as aggressively, there numbers would be similar to New York's. Chances are, you've already been around it. Barring any more significant mutations, which is a big if, 98% of people that contract it, will survive, but it doesn't follow linearly across all age groups and comorbidities. For me personally, as an RNFA, I've been involved in the care of two confirmed cases and who knows how many unknown cases and I'll treat more. It's just a matter of time. No, it's not like the flu. The flu is much more well known and there are known treatments for it. The CFR and the R-naught values are not known for sure at this time. In epidemiology, you only get the best stats ex post facto. At this second, it is very safe to say the R-naught value is most definitely greater than one and it is strongly suspected to be greater than seasonal flu. As to the CFR, that isn't known either, but the statistics very from 1-3%. That is much higher than the seasonal flu. Again, we won't know what the real numbers are until its over. The biggest public health danger is overloading the hospital capacity. There will also be increased morbidity and mortality from things totally unrelated to the virus. You could have an MI, MVA, and a whole host of other ailments but you might not get the appropriate, responsive care needed to save you life, because the system is swamped with virus patients. For now, stay away from idiots with quack remedies (and there are a host of them out there. I get asked about several every day) follow actual authorities recommendations, and wash your hands, social distance to the extent possible. Other than that, if possible, go fishing.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by white gambler View Post
    I spoke to a Doctor here in our town (large medical community) that practices at the hospital. I asked him exactly what you described as we had it come through here like that a couple months ago. He said it was entirely possible for the "flu like symptoms" of the sick people that tested negative for the flu to have had covid-19.
    I attended an international trade show in Atlanta the last week of January. I became sick with a dry cough for 2 days, the first week of February on our fishing trip. I ran a fever for 4 nights and developed a severe upper respiratory infection. I was prescribed prednisone, albuterol and Z pack. I have never had an upper respiratory infection like this. I have also had the flu, and this was much different. I have some serious suspicions that Covid 19 might have been it. Half of our group developed similar symptoms a few days after we got home, with upper respiratory issues. All of the pieces of the puzzle came together this weekend. I started making calls, and others had similar suspicions. I am by no means saying this was 100% Covid 19, but very well could have been.

4. The dude abides
    Quote Originally Posted by Big C View Post
    It's a pandemic and it's spread around the world. The number will continue to climb, mostly due to increased testing. Its been in the population, it just hasn't been tested for it. In this country, New York has been the most aggressive in testing. That's why almost half of all US cases are from New York. If Texas, Washington, California and/or Florida tested as aggressively, there numbers would be similar to New York's. Chances are, you've already been around it. Barring any more significant mutations, which is a big if, 98% of people that contract it, will survive, but it doesn't follow linearly across all age groups and comorbidities. For me personally, as an RNFA, I've been involved in the care of two confirmed cases and who knows how many unknown cases and I'll treat more. It's just a matter of time. No, it's not like the flu. The flu is much more well known and there are known treatments for it. The CFR and the R-naught values are not known for sure at this time. In epidemiology, you only get the best stats ex post facto. At this second, it is very safe to say the R-naught value is most definitely greater than one and it is strongly suspected to be greater than seasonal flu. As to the CFR, that isn't known either, but the statistics very from 1-3%. That is much higher than the seasonal flu. Again, we won't know what the real numbers are until its over. The biggest public health danger is overloading the hospital capacity. There will also be increased morbidity and mortality from things totally unrelated to the virus. You could have an MI, MVA, and a whole host of other ailments but you might not get the appropriate, responsive care needed to save you life, because the system is swamped with virus patients. For now, stay away from idiots with quack remedies (and there are a host of them out there. I get asked about several every day) follow actual authorities recommendations, and wash your hands, social distance to the extent possible. Other than that, if possible, go fishing.
    some information that would help

R-naught : https://vitals.lifehacker.com/what-i...ter-1841264885
    comorbity: https://medical-dictionary.thefreedi.../Comorbidities
    CFR : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Case_fatality_rate
    Stay calm...Be brave...Wait for the signs
    Always be yourself unless you can be BATMAN!
    Then always be BATMAN!

5. Member
    As a road driver for Fedex freight (palletized freight) I just wanted to let every body know we are functioning like normal. I think there are more tractor trailers on the road than usual the point being that manufacturing and distribution the backbone of our country is showing no signs of slowing down. Let's also remember as citizen's of the USA we live in the bread box of the world.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwish View Post
    As a road driver for Fedex freight (palletized freight) I just wanted to let every body know we are functioning like normal. I think there are more tractor trailers on the road than usual the point being that manufacturing and distribution the backbone of our country is showing no signs of slowing down. Let's also remember as citizen's of the USA we live in the bread box of the world.
    I see the smaller fed ex, ups, Amazon trucks all over now. People are getting everything delivered. It is pretty impressive, from a logistical standpoint, how quickly that goods can travel to a home or business under these types of conditions.

7. Member
    First off, I've had multiple interactions, besides the obvious.
    1. My office told us to work from home for a week. Then 2 weeks. Now we are locked out of our building indefinitely.
    1b. As a result of (1), I had to go pick up a monitor to use at home from Microcenter. I show up, and things looked odd. Decided to come back the next day because there was a line out the door. Get back at lunchtime the next day, still a line...of 1 person outside. So I walk up, they have people standing 6 feet apart, outside. Only letting 50 people in the store, 5 at a time. Denver PD officer overseeing it to make sure we comply. When they let the next group of 5 people in, they stop us at the entrance and lecture us. Stay 6' away from everyone, hand sanitizer in every aisle, carts all clorox'ed every use, etc.
    And my oldest experience...
    My son had a hockey tournament back in January that had the team staying in a hotel. By the time the last game was over and we drove home it was about 9pm on Sunday. I get home, get the car unloaded, and it hits me like a ton of bricks. I just stopped feeling well. The next day I woke up with a 103º fever, dry cough (gagging), headache, body ache. Over the next couple days, it got worse. At one point I had a steady fever for 3 days between 104-106º, rarely breaking below 103. Got tested for the flu....no flu. After about a week, my oldest catches it. I'm still miserable (but working from home) and now my kid has the same symptoms, but milder. By thursday he's better and back to school, and my fever has finally broken but I'm still weak. I lost 23lbs in that week and a half. The next week, I'm ready to go back to work and....my younger son is sick now (the one who had the tournament). Stayed home with him and again, by thursday he was ready to go back to school. Doctors had no idea what I had, but in retrospect, the symptoms were identical to this virus. So I strongly suspect the virus has already been through my house.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    I see the smaller fed ex, ups, Amazon trucks all over now. People are getting everything delivered. It is pretty impressive, from a logistical standpoint, how quickly that goods can travel to a home or business under these types of conditions.
    Yes, but everything is still out at the grocery store. We have used the Shipt delivery service the last two trips to the store. They do the walking the aisles and fighting the crowds and then bring them right into the garage. The big giant local independent chain that we shop at is always out of TP, Lysol spray, and of course bleach and hand sanitizer. But other weird stuff seems to be in short supply. The store has set a limit of one per customer on certain items. For example; only one loaf of bread...but if you get sliced bread, you can't have hot dog buns or raisin bread...but she could get bagels. I got the five bags of my favorite coffee beans (I usually get 2 or 3 at a time), but could only get one bag of M&M's....no regular carrots, just the little baby ones. The Shipt lady says they are stocking 24/7 but things go as fast as they're on the shelf. I guess we're lucky. My wife has a friend in New Jersey, who can't get any food at all.

I have solved the toilet paper shortage dilemma by installing a Tushy Bidet. My son gave it to me several years ago and I wasn't a fan of the idea at that time and never installed it. I was talking to him on the phone the other day and lamenting about we were getting down to the last 4 or 5 rolls of the "good stuff". He reminded me of the Tushy, so I installed it. I was skeptical about cold water rushing up my war wound but my wife tried it first and assured me that it was very refreshing. It is! Start slow at first and once you get accustomed to it, it's a great alternative. TP is still necessary for just a little dry off. Something to think about if you're running low.

Tushy Bidet....https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B8Y327H...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

9. Member

Yep. Those would all be good numbers to have. Having an accurate R-naught, Case Fatality Ratio and, I guess, comorbidities in death (which is fairly well known). Unfortuantely, the first two are not known with any degree of certainty at this time.

Just lost a friend and former co worker, 68 bad diabetes. Sweet person.
    Bad spellers of the world untie!

Quote Originally Posted by vaw121 View Post
    Just lost a friend and former co worker, 68 bad diabetes. Sweet person.
    So sorry to hear this. My condolences go out to you.

12. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    If it hasnt affected your area its not far off..not trying to scare people just inform first hand from someone in NY. My fishing buddy has it. ( in quarintine currently) His friend (coworker) has it ( in hospital currently)and his wife 53 no health issues just died a few days ago from it. Its not just the elderly who are dying. Were not even near the city were in a very rural part of NY about 3 hours away.

13. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Found out today my new manager at work has it, been sick since sunday. So far sore throat, mild fever and an odd feeling of arthritis type pain in her hands. She is only in her early 30s and healthy so should be okay.

She is not looking forward to being isolated to her apartment though, small studio in the middle of dc.....
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

Took my wife to NYC from December 28 through January 3, for new Year's eve and because she's never been there. Three years ago she had an emergency surgery for quadruple bypass.
    We went to several places in Manhattan and attended the News Years Eve gala above NBC studios.
    Upon returning, she developed a severe dry cough, fever, and malaise. The cough continued for 2 weeks or more. Then I got it, a milder case, for about a week.
    My opinion, just my opinion, this has been all over the US for 6 months.

15. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    Georgia governor Brian Kemp shut schools down for the remainder of this school year. He issued statewide shelter in place effective starting Friday, April 3rd. Essential travel only.

The models of death rate and infection rate are incomplete and could be way, way over stated.
    The models leave out completely the one major component, and that is who has already had this and recovered or were never sick. Using an antibody test, the part of the model could be factored in that is now missing from these gloom and doom models.
    If 80% of the US population has already been exposed or recovered from Covid-19, then this strain is no more deadly than the flu, regardless of whether its novel or not. Why are we using ANY model without first finding out who has already had this?
    This is huge.

Quote Originally Posted by sabbott1958 View Post
    The models of death rate and infection rate are incomplete and could be way, way over stated.
    The models leave out completely the one major component, and that is who has already had this and recovered or were never sick. Using an antibody test, the part of the model could be factored in that is now missing from these gloom and doom models.
    If 80% of the US population has already been exposed or recovered from Covid-19, then this strain is no more deadly than the flu, regardless of whether its novel or not. Why are we using ANY model without first finding out who has already had this?
    This is huge.
    You must have read Dr. Jay Bhattacharya's article in the WSJ or saw his facebook interview on uncommon knowledge. He had some good points, mainly that NO ONE knows for sure how this is going to go here, and he was honest enough to include himself in not knowing.
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

Quote Originally Posted by sdbrison View Post
    You must have read Dr. Jay Bhattacharya's article in the WSJ or saw his facebook interview on uncommon knowledge. He had some good points, mainly that NO ONE knows for sure how this is going to go here, and he was honest enough to include himself in not knowing.
    Actually none of the above. It’s pretty common sense. You cannot have real scientific forecasts until the equations are complete. Like saying 1 + (?) = 100,000
    Until we know what (?) is, no conclusion is anything more than a guess.
    I submit this is far far less than we fear.

Quote Originally Posted by sabbott1958 View Post
    Actually none of the above. It’s pretty common sense. You cannot have real scientific forecasts until the equations are complete. Like saying 1 + (?) = 100,000
    Until we know what (?) is, no conclusion is anything more than a guess.
    I submit this is far far less than we fear.
    I agree with you and that is what the doctor said, everyone is guessing.
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

20. Member
    We've got three good friends who are sick with the typical symptoms, two tested negative and one tested positive. All three are feeling much better in a week.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast