Medicare Part B for military retirees

I am a licensed insurance agent in TN and KY, I've passed the Americas Health Care Programs (AHIP) test the past two years. Everyone selling Medicare or Medicaid products must pass this test annually. I've attended Humana's Veteran Insurance Seminar. As far as I know this is good info.

So, my wife and I went to Fort Campbell last week to get her a new ID card. I got a new card while I was there since mine was delaminated. They guys there took "indefinitelyf" off mine an added an expiration date the month before I turn 65. When I asked why they told me "when you sign up for Part B come back and we will issue you an indefinitely card." Part B is 144.60 a month this year. We shouldn't have to worry about Part A since we all worked at least 7.5 years. Our Veterans Affairs eligibility covers the drug plan or "Part D."

As of April 2019 Blanchfield Hospital isn't taking any more new 65 year old patients. You can still get your prescriptions there. Once you get your indefinitely card after applying for Part B at the local Social Security Office then you can apply for Tri-Care for Life. The guy there says it's a mess with people not applying for Part B when eligible then finding out they have a fine for the rest of their lives.

From what I can gather we are getting equal to a Medicare "G Plan" with Tri-Care for Life. No more 600.00 a year Tri-Care Prime after you turn 65. You'll either use docs that take Medicare, your local Veterans Affairs, or employer based plans that are accepted by Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS.)

I can't tell you how many medically retired vets I've met that are not paying Part B or D. They run into big problems when the local installation or VA won't see them. The penalties are for the rest of your life. Go see Social Security when you're eligible for Medicare. A "G Plan' runs another couple hundred dollars a month depending on where you live and your age. We still get that benefit for our service.

Thanks. I work for USSOCOM's Warrior Care Program and we tell transitioning Service Members the same thing. You didn't mention how long ago your retired, but I'm guessing it's been a few years. All the Retiree ID cards issued at Fort Bragg have an expiration date for the month prior to age 65. I'm not sure when they started doing that. I retired in 2013 and my ID has an expiration date on it. It pays to keep that mark on the wall too, Tricare for retirees about $600 a year. Medicare about $150 a month...300% increase!
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

3. Member
    I fished my 20 years in 1999. Time flies.

I hope I get to keep good dental after 65. I currently pay about 77.00 a month for one of the excellent federal plans. Medicare doesn't do much with dental.

I just told my wife the other day...I'm almost to the point I can mail my teeth in for their cleaning.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

5. Member
    I have to deal with that crap next year. I checked with some folks at Fort Leonard Wood hospital and they said I wouldn't see any difference in care at the hospital for me or my wife after we start medicare. I hope they are right.

How does all this affect you if you retired and currently get seen at the VA with a 60% disability rating? I just turned 63 have about a year and half to go. Any good websites explain all this? Thanks for the info!!

I have a ppt presentation. Give me a day or two to turn it into a pdf and I'll attach it.
    2016 Nitro Z21

This is a little dated. I'll see if I can track down a "newer" version, but the information is still valid.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2016 Nitro Z21

9. Member
    Thanks, that explains almost directly like Humana did when I took their course for veterans.

10. Member
    I was on tri-care standard till I turned 65, started paying for Part B, and hope that tri-care for life takes over if I ever need medical attention. Last time I tried to enter a base the guard had never seen a card like mine, and it's only 26 years old.

Thank You!