Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2020 Z18 150 or 175?

Aside from my guessing the 150 would be "lighter" how important would it be to get the 175 over the 150 with purchase? Not completely obsessed in anyway with speed.. (my boat had a 25HP on it for 10 yrs) of course 60 would be great but I am sure the 150 would be pretty close.

Just looking for some opinions.. as I am thinking of putting the money into tandem trailer and or some other upgrades instead?

Thanks all

2. Dogfish_Jones
    If you are looking for resale value get the 175. If you are not planning on selling it and speed isn't your "thing", get the 150. A 150 will get you around 60 mph which is plenty fast.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones View Post
    If you are looking for resale value get the 175. If you are not planning on selling it and speed isn't your "thing", get the 150. A 150 will get you around 60 mph which is plenty fast.
    +1

Personally I would rather have the tandem trailer than the extra 25HP.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

4. Member
    I really like the new 175.. not so much for top speed but holding at speed it is very good and punches up on pad very quickly.
    2019 z18 175 ProXs 4 stroke, DC, 10 Ft Power Pole Blades, Relion lithium batteries, Ghost trolling motor, Lowrance Live's, SS structure, Airmar TM150, Vessel View Link, PowerPole Charge.

5. Member
    Thanks all, Its certainly a tough choice i will be forced to make .. Ammdrew I see you have basically great options on your boat that I am contemplating. I currently have 2 12' talons on my current boat but its too heavy, from what I see the 12' talons on a Nitro Z18 should be no issue but how are the Poles? And how do you like the GHOST? I am hesitant to buy a "year one" product but all my graphs are HDS Carbons and I love Lowrance

6. Member
    talons should be no issue, I had swapped 2 -12 talons for 10 ft poles looking for a little speed in my z7.. end result was the same so just use the one you like. Ghost has been excellent.. my ultrex's were excellent also..
    2019 z18 175 ProXs 4 stroke, DC, 10 Ft Power Pole Blades, Relion lithium batteries, Ghost trolling motor, Lowrance Live's, SS structure, Airmar TM150, Vessel View Link, PowerPole Charge.

7. Member
    Thanks, Does the GHOST "follow a trail" as well like the current motor guides can? also, is the mount able to "scissor up" to temporarily move out of the way during launching at pitched ramps? Thanks also, Down imaging is possible by default correct? When they say active imaging they are not referring to "live sight"?

8. Member
    Just coming from a single to tandem axle, makes a huge difference in ride. If you don’t have to horse your trailer into a spot by hand I would really recommend the tandem axle.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

I pondered this same question when I ordered mine. In the end, I’m extremely happy with my choice and you cannot believe the fuel economy with the 175, love it! In fact, I do not regret a single detail of my purchase.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

10. Member
    had a z7 since 2011 it was offered with a 150 . later with 150 and 175, later still 150 175 and 200 later still 150 and 175 only .if i ever need a new motor i would go for the max the hull is approved for , in my case 200 hp not sure what the max hp is on the Z18

11. Dogfish_Jones
    175 is max on a Z18

12. Member
    I have a 2009 Z7, that I believe is similar in size and weight to the Z18. I highly recommend getting the 175. The hole shot was terrible on my Z7, as it came from the factory (no jack plate, no talons, 150 hp EFI). Top speed on a good day is 58-60 mph gps. I later put on a 6” manual jack plate, and the hole shot is better, speed the same. I have been wanting to install talons or power poles, but I’m not sure I have enough motor. I made a big mistake not going with a 175, as I have been living with marginal performance for ten years now.

13. Member
    Go with 175hp, my 2013 Z7 is rated for 150 and I had to put a 6" hydraulic plate and 4 blade prop to get the best performance. Prior to JP and 4 blade prop, I had minimal bow lift. If my Nitro would have been rated for 175, that's what I would have got.

14. Member
    I would go w/ the 175. It will help your hole shot and resale.

15. Banned
    Get a Z-19 it come standard with a 200.

I would also offer this tip, if you do not get the 175, you will inevitably probably end up up regretting your decision. Even if you're like me and speed is not the number one top priority, you will probably end up one day telling yourself that you should have gotten the 175. I ordered mine with it and have never had a single regret with any part of my purchase. Good luck with your decision.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

17. Member
    I went with the 175, seldom run WOT,but if I need it if storm blows up it is nice to have. Just my opinion

18. Member
    My 2017 z18 has 150 pro Xs. Half fuel and just me I top at 62. Usually run around 50-51 cruising
    Native Titan 10.5 Kayak

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ike12 View Post
    Aside from my guessing the 150 would be "lighter" how important would it be to get the 175 over the 150 with purchase? Not completely obsessed in anyway with speed.. (my boat had a 25HP on it for 10 yrs) of course 60 would be great but I am sure the 150 would be pretty close.

Just looking for some opinions.. as I am thinking of putting the money into tandem trailer and or some other upgrades instead?

Thanks all
    i literally just bought a new Z19. Couple things. If I had it to do over I’d do a few things different. I’d get a hydraulic jack plate for one. And power poles. That being said. I have the dual axle also. From what a lot of people who work at marine dealers have told me is to ALWAYS max the HP for the boat. I made sure I got the 200 on mine. I’d get the 175 for an 18 if I were you. Also I got the tandem trailer this time. I had a single on my 18’ skeeter. Was sloppy riding with. The tandem makes it smooth. You forget it’s even behind you. I also had them add jumpstart. They are cheap insurance in case your graphs or anything killed your cranking battery you just flip a switch and turn the key and it will jump off your trolling battery. Then flip it back and you are off. The last thing and most important! I yanked that little 45” 80lb fortrex off and had them install a 52” 112lb Ultrex. It’s an absolute game changer. You will never go back once you have one. Either that or the ghost. Fishing in the wind used to make me so mad I leave the lake sometimes. I am all about fishing offshore away from the rest of the bank pounders. No more issues with the Ultrex. Pull up to your way point and hit the button and you are locked in. Also if I decide I want to fish shallow and go down the bank slowly, you can hit the “N” button and whatever you point that trolling motor at initially it will take you there and you can point it right down the shore and you can control the speed at which you go as slow or fast as you want. Plus you have the remote hanging around your neck all day to control it otherwise. I’m literally never touching the pedal all day. Ultrex is hands-down the most important uograde I put on my boat. I am so glad I did it. I added a dual console as well. Which is great for the glove box and my non boater when I run in the cold and rain. If you haven’t already decided to get an Ultrex, get it. I promise you there are no negatives to it.
    Last edited by Khowcroft81; 04-13-2020 at 07:46 PM.

Have spoken with a guy that fishes my local lake and he has a 2019 z18 with a 175 and a jp and he is pleased with it and said he was glad he waited to get the 175 on it. He carries alot of gear and said the v6 has a strong holeshot. I believe the 175 is only 15 lbs heavier than the 150 as well. Not the same brand but i have the same size boat with a 200 on it and if you run heavy and want poles dont get the 150.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast