Yamaha OX66 PBS Oil Transfer Problems for Skeeter - Troubleshooting Advice

2001 VMAX 225 HP. The remote oil tank only pumps to the outboard main oil tank using the manual emergency switch (with main key switch on; engine tilt down). Continuity checks out on both the remote tank single float oil level sensor and the main tank double float (3 switch) oil level sensor. The 2002 Skeeter bass boat is unusual in that it only has a single red oil warning lamp (not the 3 LEDs on the digital tachometer on my other boat with OX66s). I have disconnected the oil feed tube at the remote tank to visually verify flow/no flow conditions. With the engine idling and tilted down with the remote oil tank ¾ full and the outboard main oil tank full to the upper arrow, I began draining the outboard oil tank into a container. As the oil level drops to the lower arrow on the outboard tank, the remote oil tank pump does not cut on automatically, as required. It will only pump using the emergency switch. Does this scenario sound familiar to anyone? Any troubleshooting advice is greatly appreciated. I fear the problem is in the Precision Blend System (PBS) control unit within the CDI unit. I hope not $$$$. I just bought this boat used (Winter- lake frozen at the time) and didn’t notice the oil transfer problem while running it on the garden hose. No wonder I got such a good price! ARGHHHHH. Regard, Jim

2. Member
    Had this issue on two different Yamahas.

Is the trim gauge working? If not it wont pump. When trimmed up no oil will flow from the reservoir to the onboard tank. The dealer couldn’t figure this one out. After lots of money and the Internet I figured it out 6 weeks later.

Other thing to check is the wires that control the onboard pump from the engine to where they enter the boat. Tilting the engine puts strain on those. I had one that broke inside the insulation. Figured it out by wiggling that wire. Soldered in a new section of wire and all was well. I posted on this. I’ll try to find the post. Been a while. It would work intermittently.

3. Member
    Great information! Thanks for reply. Tilt gauge is inoperable. I had forgotten about that interlock I read about. My other OX66s don’t use it in favor of the engine running interlock. I will get a new gauge as the next step, as well as check continuity in each wire of the harness. Grateful for the advice and path forward!

4. Member
    Interesting info and thanks for sharing! I have a 2003 VX200TLRB ox66, anyone know if this outboard uses the tilt gauge for this as well?
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

5. Member
    The trim gauge issue was a Pro V 150 with the Yamaha LED gauges. Assumed it was the same with the OX66.

The wire in the harness was my 2003 OX66. Used pins and a voltage meter to locate the break, and some wiggling of the appropriate wires.

6. Member
    PROBLEM ISOLATED - Turns out the wiring harness connector clip at the top of the remote oil tank in the bilge is the problem. Although continuity existed between every wire in every clip in the wiring harness, I found that manipulating the clip by hand while the engine was running during the oil demand cycle turned the oil transfer pump on/off when the clip was rotated into different orientations. This intermittent connectivity means the male and female pins do not consistently contact, or there is an open at the pins. Cleaning the contacts with electronic antioxidant spray did not help. I will look to see if a replacement plug is available. Thanks for all your assistance!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyTilt View Post
    PROBLEM ISOLATED - Turns out the wiring harness connector clip at the top of the remote oil tank in the bilge is the problem. Although continuity existed between every wire in every clip in the wiring harness, I found that manipulating the clip by hand while the engine was running during the oil demand cycle turned the oil transfer pump on/off when the clip was rotated into different orientations. This intermittent connectivity means the male and female pins do not consistently contact, or there is an open at the pins. Cleaning the contacts with electronic antioxidant spray did not help. I will look to see if a replacement plug is available. Thanks for all your assistance!
    Thanks for sharing you find! Be sure to put some dielectric grease on the contacts when putting it back together.
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

8. Member
    I really don't think so lol. My trim gauge was out all last year and I ran the snot out of my motor.

9. Member
    All Yams are created equally. It is just that some are more equalier than others.

Some Yams use a mercury switch to stop the oil transfer, some Yams use a trim sender to stop the flow of oil and some Yams use the CDI or ECU.

While the inner web can be useful in providing information, at times the information can be misleading.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OverTimeAgain View Post
    I really don't think so lol. My trim gauge was out all last year and I ran the snot out of my motor.
    Was it the trim sender or the gauge? Mine was the sender and as with above it was on a late-1990's 150 Pro V. Couldn't figure it out. I could fill the onboard tank with the manual switch, but no oil would pump from the onboard tank on its own. Took it to the dealer. Based on dealer recommendations got a used CDI, same result. Replaced the float in the on-board tank. Same result. Got the trim working, based on a response from this site, and problem solved. This was with the Yamaha OEM digital gauges. I am assuming they didn't re-design the entire oil control system when they went from the the Pro V to the OX66. Maybe there is someone out there with knowledge of exactly how the electrical on the onboard pump interacts with the rest of the engine will chime in. Yam911 please share your wisdom on how the Yamaha 2 stroke oil pump system works, since this is not an uncommon problem with these engines. I'm not an electrical engineer, but if you can read the electrical diagram in the repair manual it will shed some light on how the pump interacts with the trim. With the engine tilted up I would think you wouldn't want the onboard tank to pump oil to the tank on the engine. If your trim is constantly reading full tilt, and sending that message to the computer, it makes sense it wouldn't pump oil to the onboard tank.
    Last edited by Amistad Tackle; 03-19-2020 at 10:13 AM.

11. Member
    In general (nothing is absolute with Yamaha's) here is the situation:

- 1984 ~ ’89 V6’s and all V4’s use a mercury switch in the control unit to prevent oil from transferring when the engine is tilted.

- 1990 ~ ’95 V6’s use the trim sender to stop the transfer when the engine is tilted.

- 1996 and up V6’s require the engine to be running to transfer oil.

12. Member
    Another key point is that for any of the automatic oil transfer systems to function, the remote oil tank must have oil in it. If and when the remote oil tank gets low the automatic system will stop, leaving some oil in the tank. That can be transferred to the main tank using the toggle switch. This is the clue to the user that he best be adding some oil to the tank or heading home if he does not have oil with him.

Now if there is a problem between the motor and the remote oil tank, which causes the CDI/ECU to think that the remote tank is low on oil, guess what? The automatic transfer system will not work. It is doing just what it is supposed to be doing.

13. Member
    Thanks for the explanation. Good information. This is one of the reasons this site is such an excellent resource. I've kept my motors running, and me fishing, with very few trips to a mechanic over the years thanks to BBC. I sold the Skeeter I had with the Pro V 150 in 2001 or 2002. I've had an OX66 since that time. The Pro V I had must have been in the 1990-95 range. It was a used boat when I bought it.

14. Member
    Yes THANKS for the info! As a new ox66 owner and Yamaha in general I really appreciate the info!
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66