Scanning for bass

How much time do you all spend scanning for bass/structure? I’m thinking this year I’m going to scan more and try to find offshore bass. I’ve never really tried it before, anyone have any tips?

thanks

2. Dogfish_Jones
    I do scan before I fish anywhere, anytime, that’s why I have graphs. I scan a lot longer after the pre-spawn and spawn. I pretty much know where they are then.
    When May comes, I start heading more off shore and finding bass after the spawn. I spend more time scanning finding spots to fish. During July, August and September, I find myself scanning as much as fishing. Here in the south, the water is usually in the 90’s and they are deep and finding them on your graphs is essential to catching fish on a somewhat regular basis.
    I’ve spent a lot of money on graphs to use them and take advantage of SI, DI and even sonar. I use my Lakemaster mapping to shorten my time in looking for areas where the fish may be lurking. I try to use every technical advantage I can to be more successful.
    Of course you can go flinging your lures everywhere but I can’t do that. Just knowing I can look at my graphs and see if there are fish there are not. Sitting and casting for any amount of time and not having any fish there will produce zero amount of fish.

3. Member
    Check out a youtuber called “fish the moment”, he has lots of informative videos on the subject.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassjam2000 View Post
    Check out a youtuber called “fish the moment”, he has lots of informative videos on the subject.

I’ll second this! I watched a couple of his electronics videos recently, showed how to tell the difference in bass, crappie, etc on your screen and how to tell if the bass were active by their position on cover/ structure. He has several others as well and does a great job of teaching. Also recommend watching the ones like “Where do fish go after the spawn”, etc. That type of video would complement the electronics videos very well.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones View Post
    I use my Lakemaster mapping to shorten my time in looking for areas where the fish may be lurking.
    What kind of areas are you looking for?

6. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by 58LesPaul View Post
    What kind of areas are you looking for?
    Depends on the time of year. Springtime, I’m looking more shallow and find any type rock structure. Rocks will heat up the water faster and bass will settle in and around those type areas.
    When the spawn is over it really becomes critical to find where they have went to. Most times they go to secondary points in creeks that are near deeper water. Summertime, I’m looking for ledges in deep water. Main area are creek beds that are near main points and in areas where deep water is near by.
    i scan to find these area and look on my graphs to see if the bass are there, if they are, I’m fishing those areas.