Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Prop sold won't work for guy need opinion

I sold a guy a raker 2 that I can't use. Never used or tried cause I sold that boat. I sold the prop to a guy. He tried it says his boat won't plain out and work for him. Think he's hinting now he wants his money back. How should I handle this

2. Member
    He should have known what he was buying, but I would take it back, just my 2 pennies.

3. Member
    I've bought props and guys have sold me evenrude props knowing I hav3 a Yamaha. I didn't go after the guy. I didn't lie it's exactly what I said. He has exact prop but different results. I Think he should send it to get worked. But just don't feel like it's my problem. I wish I could test props and if they don't work give em back

It's best to discuss this before the sale.... I dont think it's on you to take it back. But I have taken props back depending how the buyer approaches me.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

5. Member
    21xdc he's blowing out and says it's not getting up. He needs to close plugs says raker can't plug vents

Some Rakers have adjustable venting.... Older ones dont. Mark may be able to drill PVS holes in that prop and he can use plugs to adjust.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

7. Member
    But since I sold him what I said it was. Told him idk prev history never ran it.. this isn't my problem correct

Quote Originally Posted by Jrjbass View Post
    But since I sold him what I said it was. Told him idk prev history never ran it.. this isn't my problem correct
    That is a moral choice for you to make.... Nobody else can make that for you. You should sleep on it and live with your choice.

9. Member
    I have been on both sides of this issue. I kept the prop that wasn't what I hoped for but was exactly what I purchased. I sold 2 different props that didn't work for the buyers. Both were accurately described prior to the sale. I took one back and not the other, mostly because of the attitude of the buyer. I was comfortable with both those decisions.

10. Banned
    Tell him to enjoy his new prop

11. Member
    He can always resell. You sold it as new/unused. It's not now and you couldn't sell it as such.

If I'd sold it as used and wouldn't take a hit on it I'd take it back. But if I sold as new, it's not able to be returned in the same condition. Now if he couldn't get it to fit and never ran it, different story.

Surprised he would call and complain......I've bought and sold used props online---- many did not do as I hoped they would. I never called the seller back and I've never had a buyer call me.
    If you bought the prop right ---resale it and all your out is the freight.. IMO thats the chance you take. Sounds like the man got exactly what you advertised. Not your fault it didn't work on his setup..

13. Member
    Bought a prop here for $200 and pics did not show it needed to be worked. Took it to prop shop and got it worked back to stock for $150, so now I am in it for $350. Never ran it and sold the boat it was for so at best I am hoping to get $250 for it.

Moral of the story is that I did not expect seller to take it back since I bought it used.

Sometimes you are the windshield and sometimes you are the bug.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

If you clearly stated and it is as described and your not a prop dealer its on him to understand what he is buying.

Part of buying second hand items. That is the chance you take as a buyer. Its your responsibly as a buyer to be knowledgeable about your purchase.

That is the way private sales work in most cases. Sorry it didn't work for you guess you can have it worked of sell it. Or buy it from a retailer who excepts returns.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

Years and years ago I helped a friend part out a car. Some guy heard I had 2 doors available. His was a 73 doors came off a 71 same model. He asked would they work? I told him they look similar but I don't know but a junk yard has a book that will tell you if they will.

Few days go by he says he wants them. Comes and gets them. Two weeks go by he contacts me and says they won't fit. I asked him did you do as I suggested and check fitment. No.

Sorry I can't help you. It was your responsibility to check fitment I told I did not know.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    Bought a prop here for $200 and pics did not show it needed to be worked. Took it to prop shop and got it worked back to stock for $150, so now I am in it for $350. Never ran it and sold the boat it was for so at best I am hoping to get $250 for it.

Moral of the story is that I did not expect seller to take it back since I bought it used.

Sometimes you are the windshield and sometimes you are the bug.
    Learned that also.... Ask if it's been worked before purchase

If you made a mistake in the ad or said it will work on his boat then you should take it back. If not, then it is his problem.

I once sold a prop on here that I bought used. The prior owner said it was worked (not repaired) by Delaware Prop (IIRC). The guy who bought it from me said that DP marks their worked props a certain way. This one was not marked that way. I immediately offered to refund his money and would pay for shipping back to me. He decided to keep the prop.

I have also sold a 24P Trophy Plus a guy wanted for his 115 Mercury Optimax on an 18’ Boat. His buddy told him that was the prop he needed. I told him it probably would not work as it is way too much prop. He still wanted it and I sold it to him. A week later he complained that it did not work and wanted his money back. I just said, I cannot do that.

In the end, it is up to you and your own personal gut feeling. Do not do it just out of guilt.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

18. Member
    I have sold a lot of props on this board. I had one guy that said it did not work on his rig and the pitch was out of whack. I had him pay shipping back to me.

19. Member
    If your going to buy Props online, you should at least know your set up. Most Marina's will loan props with a credit card full amount hold. Try the prop, if it works, look for same prop on line and buy a used or new cheaper. I bought a 26P Trophy recently, Ran great, if it didn't I would have sold it to someone else for what I paid for it. Wheel and Deal. Lots of times people buying a prop may have what you need, you can negotiate trades.. ect.. Got to learn to Buy/Sell and not loose money. I sold a guy a Power Tech a while back, while it did not run his boat as he planned he did not ask to return it. You can always use a prop for trade/resell. Keep an open mind. But it all needs to be informed at the beginning of the transaction as to if its not correct for your boat, can you return it... ect.....

2016 Phoenix 921 ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by DiawaKid View Post
    If your going to buy Props online, you should at least know your set up. Most Marina's will loan props with a credit card full amount hold. Try the prop, if it works, look for same prop on line and buy a used or new cheaper. I bought a 26P Trophy recently, Ran great, if it didn't I would have sold it to someone else for what I paid for it. Wheel and Deal. Lots of times people buying a prop may have what you need, you can negotiate trades.. ect.. Got to learn to Buy/Sell and not loose money. I sold a guy a Power Tech a while back, while it did not run his boat as he planned he did not ask to return it. You can always use a prop for trade/resell. Keep an open mind. But it all needs to be informed at the beginning of the transaction as to if its not correct for your boat, can you return it... ect.....
    That's a chikenshit thing to do to someone offering a great service in helping you get the correct prop
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast