Champion 210 setup ?

Serial # 2B733457 250 Pro XS 4 stroke . 10" Atlas hydraulic jackplate. Max rpm 5500. Champion 210 bassboat. Taking the boat back to the dealer because I think the motor is too deep. It is mounted in the top hole. As best I can tell my prop to pad is the difference between pad 17.50 & prop shaft 10.75" which equals 6.75". I think my jackplate has a range of 6". It appears that each jackplate mounting hole results in a .75" change. I've been told by many that my prop to pad starting point should be 3.5" and then go from there.

With all that said I'm a little uncertain on where the motor should be mounted. If my above measurements/assumptions are correct mounting the motor to the highest (bottom hole ) would result in a prop to pad measurement of 3.75" With 6" of range upward on the jackplate the top end of that range would not be helpful.

It's kinda confusing and difficult to describe on here but it would appear that the top and bottom mount holes are eliminated as options. That would leave 3 options

Second hole from the top = 6.0" ptp
    Third hole from the top = 5.25" ptp
    Fourth hole from the top = 4.50" ptp

I kind think the Third hole from the top makes the most sense but wanted to check here for some feedback.

When I take the boat in for this adjustment should I also request that the dealer install new mount bolts and refrain from reusing the same bolts ?

I plan to drop from a 25 pitch to a 24 or maybe even a 23 to pull up the rpms but I want to get the motor height adjustment in the ballpark first.

I hope you can understand this and offer some feedback on which hole to mount the motor and whether or not to reuse the existing motor mount bolts or use new ones.
    Thanks
    Steve
    GETFISHED !!!

2. Pat Goff
    The boat will tell you where it wants the motor at.
    Too Low:
    Low rpms
    Flat/no roostertail.
    Steering is numb.
    Boat is loose and light, doesn't want to track straight.
    Too High:
    High roostertail (over motor cowling)
    Stiff steering
    Runs flat, no lift.
    Rpms higher than speed (prop slip)

So what's it saying?
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

3. Member
    Too Low:
    Low rpms = 5500
    Flat/no roostertail.= not sure as I didn't look behind me
    Steering is numb.= = what does this mean ?
    Boat is loose and light, doesn't want to track straight. = I have some of this but it seems like it is lifted up pretty good
    Too High:
    High roostertail (over motor cowling) = Don't know
    Stiff steering = no
    Runs flat, no lift. = seems to lift well
    Rpms higher than speed (prop slip) = 5500 by myself full fuel (50 gals. ) 68.3 gps

So what's it saying? What does that tell you ?
    GETFISHED !!!

4. Member
    In what position is your jackplate for the measurements you noted above for 2nd, 3rd and 4th holes?

5. Member
    All measurements were taken with the jackplate in the lowest position. Sorry I forgot to mention that.
    GETFISHED !!!

6. Member
    Raise to 3.5 inches prop to pad and see what you get.

7. Pat Goff
    Setup rule #1
    Take it too far and bring it back. If your symptoms say low then with your full load start coming up 1/4” at a time until you lose lift,speed or water pressure. Then back a click and you’re set.
    Doing it right takes time and effort but there isn’t a shortcut.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

8. Member
    You serious Pat ? I've already pretty much determined that the top and bottom hole are not the correct ones. Have you read my entire post ? I'm trying to get the motor mounted in the right hole so I have the best use of the 6" range my plate allows for. That leaves me with hole #2,3, or 4. Making that decision will then let me do the 1/4" at a time with the jackplate. Your response doesn't really address my primary question. Thanks for responding though.
    GETFISHED !!!

9. Member
    Put your jackplate in the dead center/neutral position where your maximum range of movement is 50% up and down (3” either way per your declared 6” range of travel). Then determine if your motor mounting needs to move up a hole or two. With 10” setback your sweet spot is likely 3.25” or higher prop to pad. Don’t mount the motor to achieve the right height let the jackplate do what is supposed to do.

10. Member
    Most are mounted in the second hole down from the top on the motor bracket and that usually gives you 3.5" under pad when it's in the middle of travel so you would have 3" up and 3" down. If you can run higher most of the time mount it in the third hole down so it will be at 2.75" under pad when it's in the middle. It all depends on where the boat and motor will run when you have it loaded up ready to fish like you normally do. It sounds like your trying to mount it at 3.5" under when it's all the way up. One other thing you have a hydraulic jack plate so don't worry about raising it 1/4" at a time just raise or lower it while you are on the move to the point where it runs the best at the time loaded heavy or light.

11. Member
    Buccaneer and mdtritn21 thank you for the feedback. It will help me focus a bit more on what needs to be adjusted. Taking it in on Thursday to adjust the motor and I just want to understand my objective when I am at the shop. I will be in the garage tomorrow morning to do some more measuring. Pretty sure the jackplate has 6" but will verify. For this particular boat /setup I don't think it will really ever need to go above 2" ptp as I think it will reduce performance or water pressure and or affect the steering. But I don't know that for a fact. It is for this reason I was sort of considering mounting the motor in the following way. > Assuming the 6" range of the plate is correct I would set the plate to have 2" down travel and 4" up travel. From this position I would try to mount the motor that would result in as close as possible to the 3.5" . Doing that would 2" to go down and 4" to go up. Bad idea ? Should I just set it up with the jackplate in the middle as buccaneer suggested ? Maybe so. I guess I thought if I had it set at 3.5" and also had 2" I could go down that it would be plenty because that would result in 5.5" ptp and I can't imagine needing anymore deeper than that.

Setting the plate in the middle at 3" and mounting the motor to achieve a 3.5"ptp may make the most sense, especially after considering what I will need or desire in rough water.

Right now the dam thing is mounted so deep that I can't even measure it without putting the floor jack under it with jackstands to get it up enough to measure the motor. What a PITA. The boat is performing fabulous in mid range, very well in top end but I think there is a bit more but just can't get the motor up to find it. The holeshot is OK but it has a much more pronounced nose up that is kind of unnerving. . Dropping my prop pitch from a 25 to a 24 or even a 23 will probably help that.

thanks for the feedback guys.
    GETFISHED !!!

12. Member
    UPDATE : I went out to the boat and remeasured. Here's the results

The jackplate has 5" of travel range

Jackplate all the way down = ptp 7.25"
    Jackplate centered = ptp 5.0"

Motor is mounted in the top hole ( deepest ) Each subsequent mount hole changes the motor depth by .75"

Given the above the second hole from the top would produce a ptp measurement of 4.25" with the jackplate centered and would allow a hydraulic jackplate adjustment of 2.5" up or down.
    The third hole from the top would produce a ptp measurement of 3.50" with the jackplate centered and would allow the same 2.5" of up or down hydraulic jackplate adjustment.
    The fourth hole from the top results in 2.75" ptp and I think that may be too high. However with the jackplate all the way down the ptp would be 5.25" so maybe it would still be an option.

What do you think which mount hole I should use ?

Should I also request new mount bolts ?
    GETFISHED !!!

If it were mine: You know your PTP should be around 3.5". So I would want the motor bolted in what ever position gives me that and allows the jack plate to be in its most neutral position. Not high or low when in the 3.5 area. That would keep any stress to a minimum.

I would feel better with new bolts.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!