Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Banned
    Tried fluorocarbon “ it just makes my bait sink out !... with mono or co polymer “ it suspends like it should!..

I see alot of different answers, I have always believed personal preference and confidence. For those saying clear water and braid don't mix......once a again preference and confidence. Fished on Table Rock, shallow with 50lb braid colored black with sharpie up about 10ft on the line with whopper ploppers and toads.......No issue catching em
    2018 Phoenix 919, Mercury 225 Pro XS
    2016 Triton 179TrX, Mercury 115 4s
    1995 Bass Tracker 175Pro, 40hp Force
    1985 Bass Tracker 1800 Johnson 150 (I called it the lead sled)

3. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    You equate a paused jerkbait in clear water with a top water toad or plopper?

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnute View Post
    I see alot of different answers, I have always believed personal preference and confidence. For those saying clear water and braid don't mix......once a again preference and confidence. Fished on Table Rock, shallow with 50lb braid colored black with sharpie up about 10ft on the line with whopper ploppers and toads.......No issue catching em
    Wouldn’t that be Because the line isn’t in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by rudapa View Post
    You equate a paused jerkbait in clear water with a top water toad or plopper?
    If your plopper pause/is at rest, yes, the braid is sitting on the water just as it would with a jerkbait. I have had them hit it at rest. Same as jerkbaits paused with braid

As I stated, personal preference and the confidence of what you are throwing.

I think if a fish can see braid then tbey coukd easily see the hooks and hardware on a bait.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I think if a fish can see braid then tbey coukd easily see the hooks and hardware on a bait.
    That ^^^^

8. Member
    I have tried it a few different ways. I still like a braid to floro leader on spinning i dont care what i throw, i usually throw 12-15 floro on bait casters, never really threw braid that much on a jerkbait, i have not caught very many jerkbait fish tho. I value a lot of the opinions for sure tho. Gives me some confidence that other stuff works and is ok and thati dont just suck

9. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I use braid to a fluro leader on all my spinning outfits for all my baits except a top water
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

10. Member
    I have been throwing a x rap on Dale Hollow for years. I always use spinning gear with this bait. 10 pond braid with 8 pound fluro leader

I throw it on braid to a leader on both casting setups for bigger jerkbaits and spinning setups for smaller jerkbaits. Almost always 10 lb fluoro. I used to do straight braid, but started doing the leader because the limpness of braid was resulting in the bait getting fouled up if casting in the wind (or with a bait with no / a poorly working weight transfer system) or otherwise when working it back to the boat. Once I switched I noticed that the action is also better with the leader. I'm usually NOT a believer in braid floating or fluoro sinking making any difference that's perceptible for anything that isn't topwater, but I did find that the braid seemed to make the bait dart toward the surface and blow out way more often than when paired with the leader.

The lack of stretch in braid makes it much easier for me to get the erratic action you want when fishing a jerkbait, not only due to it sending your rod action straight to the bait but also due to it making the slack you want in your line much more pronounced and allowing you to really "snap" it to get that bait to kick. I have gone to a more moderate rod than I did when fishing them on straight mono or fluoro before as braid will absolutely cause you to lose fish on those small trebles otherwise. The rod I fish jerkbaits on would be miserable to fish with straight mono or fluoro as it would absolutely wear you out to be able to get any action to it. Works great with braid though.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12