G loomis CRB Deep Flex rod CBR906 verses CBR896

Im looking for the stats page G loomis had on the older CBR deep flex crank bait rods. Im talking about the cinnamon colored rods. Maybe someone here could help with my question. Im trying to compare the CBR906 to what I believe is the CRB896.
    Are they the same rod with the CBR896 having a longer handle/butt? Both being 7'5" - 7'6", 10 - 20lb, 3/8 - 1oz ?
    Thanks for your help,
    Jack

2. Member
    Here's what I found. CBR906 is 7'6", 10-20, 3/8-1 oz. M/H - CBR896 is 7'5", 12-25, 1/2-1oz. H. Similar rod, but what about the handle/butt length. I believe the CBR896 has a longer handle, anyone know?
    Thanks again

3. Moderator
    The 906 is a "regular" CBR and the 896 was the "deep-flex." The 906 was a nice rod that excelled with apps like lipless CBs around grass and billed crankbaits up to around a Strike King 5XD-ish. I always thought it was a little overpowered by larger baits like a Fat Free 7 or DD-22. The Deep Flex (896), even with essentially the same ratings on lure weight and line, was (in my opinion) mushy and too slow/soft. They seemed to fish multiple powers below their label rating. Everyone that I personally knew (and I pile of folks from this board) did not like and had to use for the "noodlie" deep flex series of crankbait rods. YMMV, but I was never a fan of the Deep Flex and have been through, love, and still use, a bunch of the CBRs
    Steve

4. Member
    Thanks for the input Steve, really appreciate it!

5. Member
    i agree with steve i tried the deep flex and it just loads too much its hard to set the hook with that rod. you almost need the nano finessee trebles on every bait to get a good hook into a fish.

6. Member
    Thanks again guys for the input.

IMX PRO CBR fellas....
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

I've got a cbr896 and a cbr845. I used to have a cbr864. The 896 does have a longer handle. I can measure it if you want.
    As Steve said, it seems to fish several powers lower than rated. I like it for 3/8 to 5/8 oz crankbaits. Not ideal for 1 oz baits for sure, but I've done it.
    I believe they were meant to fish like a glass rod without the weight. I often fish cranks with 20lb braid, so pinning a fish isn't an issue and the action keeps them pinned well.

9. Member
    Thanks Casey. I have an 845 and think its a great rod. Always wished it had a little longer handle which is what got me thinking about the 896. 3/8s is about it for me, sometimes a 1/2oz.

10. Member

I’m Interested in buying 845

Quote Originally Posted by eyra_kid View Post
    I've got a cbr896 and a cbr845. I used to have a cbr864. The 896 does have a longer handle. I can measure it if you want.
    As Steve said, it seems to fish several powers lower than rated. I like it for 3/8 to 5/8 oz crankbaits. Not ideal for 1 oz baits for sure, but I've done it.
    I believe they were meant to fish like a glass rod without the weight. I often fish cranks with 20lb braid, so pinning a fish isn't an issue and the action keeps them pinned well.

would either of you all be interested in selling a cbr 845 my favorite rod and I can’t find one .. I would pay top dollar

11. Member
    Would either of you all be interested in selling a cbr 845?? Would pay top dollar thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xrbxfamine View Post
    Would either of you all be interested in selling a cbr 845?? Would pay top dollar thanks
    Just buy an IMX Pro CBR 845, as reelex mentioned.