Bobby8

Gen 2 Talon will only work once fuse is pulled/reinserted

Launched boat today. Deployed both talons. They are not synced. Left Talon would not come up. Tried both of my left side controls. No lights, no movement, no sounds of attempted movement. Pulled the 30 amp fuse, checked and reinserted. No change. Pulled and reinserted fuse again and control worked, Talon stowed. Fished and went home without using left side Talon.

At at home left side Talon extended and retracted on first try both ways. On second try Talon extended but when up was depressed, no lights, no sounds, no movement. Twice tried pulling/ reinserting fuse with power off. After putting power on nothing both times. On the third attempt I did not kill power. When reinserting fuse saw a blue arc. Tried control again, it worked and Talon stowed.

Is there such a thing as a weak fuse? Thinking about trying fuse from the right side in the morning. Looked at old posts and Talon troubleshooting guide but found no help.

Sorry this was long. Any help will be appreciated. Bobby

2. Bobby8
    Found the ground wire from shutoff switch to battery was loose-good to go.

Glad you got her fixed up. Its a good thing to post the fixes when they happen to help others out. I thought you might have been a military person. They usually say "good to go".
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby8 View Post
    Found the ground wire from shutoff switch to battery was loose-good to go.
    This has nothing to do with the situation you experienced but I have to ask...When you say shutoff switch can you be more specific in what type switch it is. Also do you have a way to disconnect power on the positive side of the wiring before the power reaches the unit.

Reason I ask about the switch is to ensure you have a switch that has sufficient amp rating to carry the load. Reason I ask if you have a way to cut power on the positive side is because you can break a DC electrical loop by removing ground, but its highly recommended to break the positive side of the loop before power enters the device. Again this had zero to do with your particular situation but I just want to ensure you have the best option to protect your equipment

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    This has nothing to do with the situation you experienced but I have to ask...When you say shutoff switch can you be more specific in what type switch it is. Also do you have a way to disconnect power on the positive side of the wiring before the power reaches the unit.

Reason I ask about the switch is to ensure you have a switch that has sufficient amp rating to carry the load. Reason I ask if you have a way to cut power on the positive side is because you can break a DC electrical loop by removing ground, but its highly recommended to break the positive side of the loop before power enters the device. Again this had zero to do with your particular situation but I just want to ensure you have the best option to protect your equipment
    I agree with what you said on the Negative cut off. That is one of the reasons I recommend in the case of the Talon or power pole to connect the power to the main power disconnect that is on the boat. I do not feel a switch will work on either, because of the amp rating. It will shut the power off and on fine, but will it handle the amps when it is running. Older boats are a different story and what they had was either fuses or can breakers, which in my opinion is not good for modern electronics.