20xd and 21xd storage

I'm in the market for a boat and am really interested in a Bullet 20XD or 21XD. I know there is no way either will fit in my garage straight on. I really dont want to pay for a storage space and can't leave it outside due to HOA rules (really dont need/want your opinions on HOAs, it is what it is and will not change). What size garage will hold these boats angled in? I guess the engine make and size as well as jackplate will play a role but just looking for guidelines or others personal experience so I can be realistic in my expectations. Might just have to suck it up and pay storage if I find one I'm really happy with. Thanks in advance for any input!

2. Member
    Also, are some years better than others? I've looked at everything from early 2000s up to 2013 so far. They all look basically the same, just some are older than others. Any issues with the older boats? Several of the early 2000s have newer outboards, which I like as long as the hull and transom are solid. I've looked at Rangers that other than some fade seemed as solid as new from the mid 90s, is Bullet the same?

3. Member
    I have a 21xdc and fits easy in my standard double garage with swing tongue.
    9CADE3AD-30AE-48F9-895C-D384637EF58C.jpeg

4. Member
    A 20 footer with a boatmate trailer and swing tongue will fit in a 24' garage backed straight in. There is only an inch or 2 on both ends but the door closes. That's with a 14" jackplate. A 21 may fit angled but I've never tried it.

5. Member
    Thanks guys...my garage is right at 23' deep and a little over 22' wide so I might be ok. What years do you have and are still solid boats? Never really heard anything bad about them.

6. Member
    Anything 99 or newer has no wood in transom. Some 1998 models have wood. So anything in 2000’s is good

7. Member
    I'll have to re measure mine to confirm but thing my garage is 23'5" deep. It has 2 single entry car doors. My 2011 21xrd fits with a 14" hydrodynamic jack plate and 250proxs. Tandem axle trailers dont pivot when pushing it back in. I got 4 wheel dolly from harbor freight. I back it in put the dollies under and I can get whatever angle I need to make it fit. I reassured and my 21xrd fits at a angle and my garage is 22'10". I also have a jeep wrangler and a harry in the other bay so the boat dont take up all the sace
    Last edited by cn8165; 03-07-2020 at 01:39 PM. Reason: More info
    2011 21xrd
    2011 250 Pro XS

8. Member
    Thanks guys, makes me more confident this is the boat I'm going to get. I've narrowed it down to basically Bullet and Ranger, always wanted both brands. There's just something about a boat that looks fast sitting still that gets me!

If the backside of your garage is attached to living space - nevermind. My last house the HOA would allow a properly finished shed to be attached to the back of the garage. I added a 10 x 10 shed to the back of the side that did not interfere with the power feed to the house. Cut and finished passageway and insert part of transom, jack plate and engine. Could easily walk around front and back of boat with door closed and also got all those beloved yard tools out of the way. Had a friend that added just enough space needed for engine and it looked like a prefab chimney from the outside.

10. Member
    Get the Bullet, trust me

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrane35 View Post
    Anything 99 or newer has no wood in transom. Some 1998 models have wood. So anything in 2000’s is good
    Never heard this before. My 2002 20XD has wood in the transom. I just replaced a thru hull in the transom and it definitely has wood.

12. Member
    Islands - I've thought about adding a couple of feet but my garage is in the basement so it's a little tricky. If it was above ground I'd do just what your friend did.

13. Member
    Never thought about wood in the boat...I guess so many advertise "no wood" I just assumed these were too. Any issues with rot?

14. Member
    Some early Bullets had sheet metal screws holding the top cap on the transom. I had a 1990 20V that water got past those screws and I had to replace transom. Otherwise they are pretty much "Bullet proof", LOL.

15. BBC SPONSOR
    Composite transom started with the 2011 21SS. The best hulls IMO are the 07-09 21XRD, if you want a huge deck. Not a bad hull from 2000 til now but that's what I prefer
    www.bassboatelectronics.com

2008 Bullet 21XRD
    2014 Merc 250 Pro XS

Knoxville, TN

Composite can mean a variety of things. You can have a laminate plywood look in your transom but if it’s treated or saturated with something can make it be called composite. I replaced the drain plug sleeve in mine with a garboard style plug ( IMO the best move to do). I even reamed it out a little to make the fit and it looked like a synthetic plywood.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

17. Member
    Good info, now just to find one I like.