Anyone a wiz on guide spacing

Looking at a 7'4'' rod and putting size 4 , 4.5 , 5, and 5.5 on it 9 guides not including the tip, anyone have any rough measurements to get me started

Where/how did you arrive at those guide sizes and the number of guides?

3. Member
    Wanted to go small guides and tried to count the number on a kvd cranking rod

I'm not a fan of guides that size. Larger guide rings = less friction = less wear and more speed. Perhaps one of the guys that have used that configuration will help with the spacing.

5. Member
    With those size guides on that length of a rod, I seriously doubt you'll get by with just 9 guides. And you really need to let the blank tell you how many guides you need. Not how many guides some factory rod has on it.

Place your butt guide and let static load place the remaining guides.

6. Member
    Blank will dictate the guides and layout, if a casting rod the layout is not as crucial with the running guides. Do some testing.

7. Member
    Google static load test. That will show you how to let the blank tell you how many guides and where to put em. The size guides are entirely up to you, where to put em is up to the blank.

8. Member
    I totally agree with bamacj, let the blank dictate where to place the guides. The static method of guide placement and spacing is by far most accurate. As far as the size it is what you want to install. I have 10 different custom rods some with the smallest Micro micro wave guides and they all cast great. I've not seen where any of the micro-microwave guides have hindered casting.

9. Member
    I dont' think you'll get away with 9 guides, probably will need at least 10 if not 11. Smallest I ever go on runners are 5's though. Tip is always 0.5 bigger than the runners.

What's the power and action? Static testing is great and works well but I will tell you a recipe that will give you a good train probably 80% of the time with no adjustments for anything MF up through HF. Put on the tip, next guide 3", next 3.25", next 3.5", next 3.75", next 4"...now you go by 1/2" so the next is 4.5", next 5", next 5.5"...from here you're into the meat of the blank. Depending on the power and length I might go 6.5, 7.5 or 8, then 9". I want the stripper to be somewhere between 17 and 19" from the reel, so it kind of depends on how long a handle you've built.

On a heavier action rod you can start at 3.25" going in 1/4" increments to 4" and then half inch into the meat of the blank.

You've got a lot of leeway from the stripper to the 3rd or 4th guide.

If you don't believe me, just set one up like this and static test it. Comes out well almost every time.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    I dont' think you'll get away with 9 guides, probably will need at least 10 if not 11. Smallest I ever go on runners are 5's though. Tip is always 0.5 bigger than the runners.

What's the power and action? Static testing is great and works well but I will tell you a recipe that will give you a good train probably 80% of the time with no adjustments for anything MF up through HF. Put on the tip, next guide 3", next 3.25", next 3.5", next 3.75", next 4"...now you go by 1/2" so the next is 4.5", next 5", next 5.5"...from here you're into the meat of the blank. Depending on the power and length I might go 6.5, 7.5 or 8, then 9". I want the stripper to be somewhere between 17 and 19" from the reel, so it kind of depends on how long a handle you've built.

On a heavier action rod you can start at 3.25" going in 1/4" increments to 4" and then half inch into the meat of the blank.

You've got a lot of leeway from the stripper to the 3rd or 4th guide.

If you don't believe me, just set one up like this and static test it. Comes out well almost every time.
    Does this work on spinning rods as well? Choke to tip I have 26" on a MLF rod. Starting with 3.75 I can just add 1/4" each time and he final would be 4.75"

Allen

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Munkin View Post
    Does this work on spinning rods as well? Choke to tip I have 26" on a MLF rod. Starting with 3.75 I can just add 1/4" each time and he final would be 4.75"

Allen
    Not sure about that as I haven't tried it with a spinning build. Worth a shot though. Worst case you're just redoing 4 or 5 guides.