Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Line size labeling on reels

I've been doing this for a while now and it really works great. I have too many reels to keep track of what size/type line I have... hard to tell the difference between 17 and 20 lb in some cases, also I have some brand specific spooling that I need to keep track of.

I use our p-touch label maker that has the 6mm tape in it, which works perfectly on the area for a shimano reel I use. The sticker stays put, doesn't wear off, and removes easily if I change up the line. I typically use the pound test followed by the brand or model ie; 25ABRAZX (25# Abrazix Flouro). If you reduce the font size down, you could probably put a date stamp on it as well.

IMG_4338.jpg

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

2. Member
    Good idea. I write on a sticky label and put it on the reel foot. The ink useually ends up smeared and un-readable by the end of the season.I'll look into the P-touch.

3. Banned
    thanks for the tip. definitely a great idea and way to keep track

4. Member
    Next time you are near an electrical supply place, pick up one of the small books of sticky back numbers that electricians use to mark circuits. Numbers are about 1/4" square and there are enough in the book to last a lifetime.

5. Member
    I just use a felt pen.

6. Member
    I use a fine point sharpie and write it the cork near the top.
    Red Sox in 6!

7. Member
    “stays Put” and “Removes easily” seem weird to read,I’m worried I’d rub it off if it got wet.
    Red Sox in 6!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrog Phil View Post
    “stays Put” and “Removes easily” seem weird to read,I’m worried I’d rub it off if it got wet.
    I've been doing this for over two years and i've never had a label come off. When you are ready to remove it, just pry up a corner with your fingernail and it comes off. Never smears, fades, etc...

9. Member
    I just make a guess most of the time, I only use a couple types of line and can kinda see what the line size is. Would be a lot better to have everything labeled.

Looks nice and clean. Just got done doing all mine and I wrapped painters tape a couple rounds on rod blank right above the reel and used sharpie to date, and label what line is on it.

i thought about the label maker thing (I'm anal with my tackle) on the reel but never imagined it would stay stuck for any length of time. I'm surprised to hear , I'll have to give it a shot. Any particular kind of tape you use? .just wondering because the two tape cartridges I have on my Dymo LabelMaker don't stick that well. I use them to label all of my 3700s and they just don't seem very sticky. Wondering if it's the LabelMaker you are using or the kind of tape?
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

11. Member
    This is the tape used on our P-Touch:
    Brother Genuine P-touch TZE-211 Label Tape 1, 1/4" (0.23")

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Because of the position on the reel, the tape never touches your hands or anything... stays put on the reel as long as needed. It's very sticky, works great

thank you
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

13. Member
    I use different color rel grips for different lines. Works for me, but some don't like the reel grips, but after using them, reels feel funny without them. Anybody do it this way?

14. Member
    jbabin76,
    Which model number P-Touch Label maker?
    2016 Ranger Z518 - 150 HP Mercury 4-Stroke

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kailor View Post
    jbabin76,
    Which model number P-Touch Label maker?
    Brother PT-D210
    https://www.amazon.com/Brother-PTD21...4155256&sr=8-3

16. Member
    Pulls out phone... "hey siri show me note with fishing line", what can I say I'm a simple man.

17. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I use light-colored electrical tape and a sharpie. If you want to get really fancy, you can use different colors of tape for different types of line. However, I use hardly any mono and no nano, so if it looks clear, it’s fluorocarbon, and if it doesn’t, it’s braid.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Green for mono, clear for fluorocarbon, camo for braid. My rods are labeled for specific techniques (St. Croix Legend Tournament) so I just kind of know the line size.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

19. Member
    Bored right now. I made a excel spreadsheet with all my Rod make and models, Reels on them with make and model, and fishing line on them with date. Works good if there ever is an insurance claim (along with photos). Always a good reference.
    dvl2700

20. Member
    fine tip Sharpie on cloth type medical tape on foot of reel , cheap and durable

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast