Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does anyone tow their boat with a 2010-2020 4Runner ?

I have a 920 Phoenix, 20.5 feet I believe, and may have to go to this set up. let me know your thoughts and experiences please. Thanks

I have an 08 it the same truck. Tows my 206 well no problems. Mountains are a little more work but you learn where to drop it out of overdrive. I can monitor tranmission temps and have installed a Hayen cooler. Trans Fluid should be changed every 60,000. Mine still looked new and no debris unlike the big three models.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

3. Member
    Rick, did you have a transmission temp guage installed ? Thanks for your reply

ANDROID DISPLAY.jpg

I use an Android head unit and Torque app to monitor trans convertor and pan temps. There should be an idiot light that comes on if you get it too hot but I've never seen it. I like the truck they hold their value and just work. Drive it right it will do whatever you need. You don't need a Kenworth to tow a bass boat.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

5. Member
    Agreed, Thank You, i have made a couple of short tows with them, and the 4runner appears to have plenty of power to do the job, but they were tows of less than 12 miles.

This is the 2nd one we've had. Waiting to see what Toyota does in 2021. If I don't like it we'll trade the Fusion in on a 2020 keep the 08 regardless .

Don't waist your time looking for a 4x2 you don't want it no traction but typical for suv get the 4x4. But the limited is nice but it has 2 flaws. Full time transfercase and 20" wheels(WTH)

BTW the mpgs are okay 17 and 23 doesn't seem to care if its in 4x4 or not.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

7. Member
    i have read that the 6th generation 4runner wont be out until 2022, could be spot on or speculation at this point. I have a 2019 and it is a 4x4 off road.

Yeah I been reading 2018,2019,2020,2021 would be update years. Toyota is pretty tight lipped on it. They have a market all alone so I can't see them screwing it up but I'll be watching!

Like the 4X4 Off Road. Are the seat covers kind of hot?

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

9. Member
    I've drug all sorts of stuff including a couple of 20' bass boats with my wife's old 2004 V8 AWD and her old 2010 Limited AWD. Best vehicles we've ever owned. You'll want to tow in 4th instead of 5th. My wife currently drives a 2016 Lexus GX. They share the same basic running gear. The Lexus is the only way to get the V8 after 2009. We both prefer the AWD version with center locking differential.

The V6 doesn't pull like my Tundra LOL, you'll hear the V6 working vs the 4.7 or 4.6L V8's.

Three vehicles with this drivetrain now. They area about as bullet proof as it gets.

I've pulled as far as 9 hours each way.

The Lexus GX is sooooooooo much more refined. Give one a look before you buy. We drove a 2019 Limited and a TRD Off road before landing on the Certified Pre-Owned Lexus for less than those two new.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mharris201 View Post
    i have read that the 6th generation 4runner wont be out until 2022, could be spot on or speculation at this point. I have a 2019 and it is a 4x4 off road.
    Not as big of a boat but had been using a 2019 T4R Off Road to pull our 150ZX Skeeter to high school tournaments with no issue. I do keep in manual mode. My wife's uncle pulled a Yamaha 230 with his FJ and he said the Toyota transmission is GTG per one of his Toyota mechanic buddies. I did just buy a Silverado to take over the towing duties since my wife didn't like me taking her baby to the fishing tournaments.

The only time I have to take mine out of o-drive is in the mountains on good incline. Other than that it doesn't want it. No problem maintaining 70

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

12. Member
    I tow a 340V with mine everywhere. I don't know that you can get a lighter glass boat though. hahah...

I notice that it is back there, but it does fine with a 17' single axle.
    1985 Ranger 340v w/ 1985 Johnson GT150 Crossflow
    2018 BassCat Pantera Classic w/ 2018 Mercury 200 ProXS

13. Member
    I have a '15 Trail Edition with a 2"lift and 275/70/17's and tow a 18' glass boat with a 150 on a single axle trailer without trailer brakes, & it tows it in od/5th with no problems. My boat probably weighs about 2600 lbs. loaded a lot lighter boat than yours. The 4Runner tow capacity is 5000 lbs. I met a guy at the ramp with a Trail Edition pulling a 20' center console Whaler with a 250 loaded for striper fishing, and he said it pulled it fine. He said he leaves a little extra distance for stopping.

14. Member
    thanks for the replies guys, Rick H, I havent owned it long enough to know if the seats get hot, but id bet these opressive Alabama summers will make them hot, heck even fabric gets hot here in the summer.

I was just wondering Mark the covers on the newer TRD model I forget what Toyota calls it but kind of remind me of the wet suit type Costco sold. They were hot. There are some aftermarket options that look nice and fit well that are cooler.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick H View Post
    I was just wondering Mark the covers on the newer TRD model I forget what Toyota calls it but kind of remind me of the wet suit type Costco sold. They were hot. There are some aftermarket options that look nice and fit well that are cooler.
    My 2015 TRD Pro had those covers, almost like Wet Okle. Indeed they were hot in the summer. I just replaced the seat covers in my current SR5 Tundra with heated and vented KatSkinz. They are a little stiffer than the Platinum covers (my son has a Platinum) but more comfortable than those covers meant to have easy clean up. The neoprene feeling seats do clean up a lot better than regular cloth.

I figured as much. Only thing I really didn't care for with the TRD Offroad. Already figured on changing them out. I would do a Limited but the full time transfer case is a deal breaker. What are they thinking!

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick H View Post
    I figured as much. Only thing I really didn't care for with the TRD Offroad. Already figured on changing them out. I would do a Limited but the full time transfer case is a deal breaker. What are they thinking!
    Both our 4-Runners, The Land Cruiser, the Lexus GX (we have a GX right now), and the Lexus LX all have fun time 4WD and are known as some of the most reliable vehicles in the world. Not sure why you wouldn't want a Torsen center locking differential? It's not like the Land Cruiser hasn't been put in about every situation known to man. If you prefer putting yours in 4WD and the off road package, you can get the "premium" that has Toyotas Soft Tek leather seats. Or, you can do like I did and get KatSkinz leather seats.

I went from this

To these heated and ventilated at a local shop.

My part time has center lock.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

20. Member
    I've never seen a part time 4WD with a center locker from the factory. All I've ever seen is on a part time 4WD a rear locker. The Torsen locker will send power to the wheel with the most grip..or you can lock in all 4 when needed. That was available with the V8's until 2009. Our 2004 was a V8 SR5. After the change in 2010 the only way to get it was the Limited, or stepping up to the Lexus GX for the V8 and full time AWD.

Either will pull a bass boat just fine. The V8's are just sooooooooo much smoother than the big 4.0 V6.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast