Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
  1. Banned
    Please explain how a software upgrade requires swapping cables and MFDs to work correctly. That's the post I took exception to and then you jumped in. Nothing personal but swap cables and MFDs, really?

2. Member
    You guys that are having problems need to do a hard reset. This has been discussed multiple times on this forum. Coming from the computer industry this is normal. Updating without resetting the product is just asking for problems. Doesn't matter what brand either.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by z520brewer View Post
    You guys that are having problems need to do a hard reset. This has been discussed multiple times on this forum. Coming from the computer industry this is normal. Updating without resetting the product is just asking for problems. Doesn't matter what brand either.
    How many times do you suggest because 3 hasn't worked?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryFL View Post
    Please explain how a software upgrade requires swapping cables and MFDs to work correctly. That's the post I took exception to and then you jumped in. Nothing personal but swap cables and MFDs, really?
    The old computer axiom that the last change broke something has be proven wrong many times. Sure prioritise troubleshooting, but never rule anything out.

5. Member
    We help other Lowrance owners with there units and majority of the time the problem is "operator error" or not reading the manual. Thanks Marc & NoCal you both have been always helpful and correct with operator questions.

6. Banned
    Update: SS3D unit has been RA'd back to Lowrance, no charge, under warranty. Not once did the tech on the phone, for over an hour going through settings, ever suggest switching cables, MFDs, etc...

Some of you are doing more harm than good with your suggestions. Tech just laughed, when I told him, atbout some of the advice I got here.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryFL View Post

Some of you are doing more harm than good with your suggestions. Tech just laughed, when I told him, atbout some of the advice I got here.
    Then don't ask or post your issues here. It is pretty simple.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by z520brewer View Post
    I'll disagree with this (I work in software development). A restart/reboot is normal - a reset is not. When was the last time you had to format your hard drive after installing any kind of an update to the operating system?

I shouldn't have to reset my unit and re-configure every single thing to make an update work right.
    2023 Puma STS

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TNReb View Post
    I'll disagree with this (I work in software development). A restart/reboot is normal - a reset is not. When was the last time you had to format your hard drive after installing any kind of an update to the operating system?

I shouldn't have to reset my unit and re-configure every single thing to make an update work right.
    I LOL when I saw the original post. I'm with you. The OP must factory reset his phone and re-enter his contacts every time Apple or Samsung update his phone because that's what he suggested here.

Still haven't got an answer to my question about how many hard resets were required if 3 didnt do the trick. :)

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNReb View Post

Agreed, didn’t have to on my Carbon.

11. Member
    There’s a huge difference in a unit reset and restoring default settings.

12. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumour2u View Post
    There shouldn't be. If they develop and test their releases the vast majority should not see problems updating.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumour2u View Post
    What do you mean by reset? Just powering off and back on? I believe pretty much everyone does that every time they use their boat.
    2023 Puma STS

14. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    I got tired of waiting on the WiFi update to show up. I updated both the Carbon and the Live to 20.0 appears to have gone with out a hitch. Hopefully I’ll get out this weekend to verify.

15. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693
    Quote Originally Posted by rudapa View Post
    I got tired of waiting on the WiFi update to show up. I updated both the Carbon and the Live to 20.0 appears to have gone with out a hitch. Hopefully I’ll get out this weekend to verify.
    I have TI2 unit

I tried to update via wifi; it went thru the entire procedure (even asked if I wnt to delete old file) yet remained on v.19 after all that..

So I downloaded to a fat32 32gb card and it all went as planned, ending up with v.20...

lesson= avoid wifi update

16. Member
    If you can, download the update through a PC to a memorycard - less sources for errors.
    Always do a hard reset after updates. Your Lowrance is not your PC, Mac, mobile phone or whatever. Save waypoints to the Link-app or memorycard before the hard reset. This is a hard reset, same on all generations HDS, Elite Ti/T2, Elite HDI, Elite CHIRP, Hook and Hook2:

Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post

Hard Reset HDS units
    (deletes stored user data such as waypoints and trails) Back up your files to a SD card first!

--turn unit OFF
    --press and hold both the ZIN and ZOUT buttons
    --press and release the LIGHT/POWER button
    --release all buttons when the USA map appears

17. Member
    I have seen some that have disconnected from everything but power and sonar prior to updating. Is that what is recommended?

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by X19DM View Post
    I have seen some that have disconnected from everything but power and sonar prior to updating. Is that what is recommended?
    No.

19. Member
    I have had Lowrance units for 30 years and must be lucky. I have never had to do a single Hard reset. I have 3 Carbons that nee updating to the newest software. Crossing my fingers I don't have to mess with a hard reset this time around!

20. Member
    Based on all the problems people are having and since I’m stuck at home I decided to investigate this further. I update my Live, Carbon, and 3D to ver 20 a week ago and haven’t had the issues others have. Also updated my Ghost. Today I did hard resets on both units. I did find that the units did not maintain my source settings for most data. My Structure and Downscan both resorted to This Unit and of course the screen was blank. I went back and redid all my Data Sources and added all overlays. Then I imported waypoints, routes, and trails. I then turned everything off and restarted in this order Carbon, 3D, Live, Ghost. There is not a single issue. All data sources were correct as I had set and saved them. So, in conclusion, I cannot replicate any of the issues described by others with new software and Live/Carbon units. I must conclude that the software update is fine and issues people are having are not related to the most recent update.

Let the flaming begin.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast