Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Barryfl and TANrb please read the last few posts by team colibri and NoCal. It doesn't matter if you agree or think you should be able to update without a hard reset. those who have success with their equipment and give advice on this board have been discussing this for several years. If some of you are able to update without hard reset then great. Barryfl it should only take one hard reset if you do it correctly as NoCal and Team colibri have discussed above. Barryfl it sounds like you did hard reset without checking your data sources

2. Banned
    I'm just waiting for it to come over wifi....................

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by z520brewer View Post
    Barryfl and TANrb please read the last few posts by team colibri and NoCal. It doesn't matter if you agree or think you should be able to update without a hard reset. those who have success with their equipment and give advice on this board have been discussing this for several years. If some of you are able to update without hard reset then great. Barryfl it should only take one hard reset if you do it correctly as NoCal and Team colibri have discussed above. Barryfl it sounds like you did hard reset without checking your data sources
    My SS3D has gone back to Lowrance under warranty. I spent over an hour on the phone with a tech rep (not the service rep that answers the phone) walking through all of the data source settings on both Carbons. Even if I had hard reset one Carbon too soon, it should not have affected the other. To summarize my issue, neither Carbon would recognize the SS3D as a date source after updating SS3D to 20... although all SS3D lights (power, ethernet 1 and 2, and both transducers) on the SS3D were green, as they should be. My Carbons were talking to each other through ethernet, as well. We went through shutting down everything, disconnecting one Carbon, then the other, etc, etc, etc...

I truly appreciate all of the help here and apologize if I was short with some.

FWIW, per the tech rep, Lowrance consumers units (MFDs, SS3D, SonicHub, LSS, etc...) are all suppose to be "plug and play", thus the auto configure feature. And, he also said the updates should work without having to hard reset any unit. Yes, I know, it seems to correct some issues but the soft and hard reset features were built in to "zero" the units prior to resale much like phone factory reset.

I'll update this thread when my unit comes back from Lowrance (or they send me another one). It was received in San Diego, yesterday, but I expect COVIDS will delay return.

4. Member
    Looking forward to hearing what they say.
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    Looking forward to hearing what they say.
    More info … the rep said this is a recurring issue with every new product rollout and subsequent software updates. He didn't exactly say it but hinted that Lowrance is trying to use a "one size fits all" approach to software for profits sake rather than have multiple software versions dependent on what a person actually has installed. i.e., I don't have a Ghost and the new software was 99% Ghost related. I probably shouldn't have updated because I didn't really gain anything but I was hoping that down and side scan had improved over the 19 versions. Point being, Lowrance could do a better job of telling consumers if they don't have certain features, no need to upgrade.

I do know this, when I get my unit back, I'm going back to the 18.3 software and leaving well enough alone. I've already rolled the Carbons back to 18...123.
    Last edited by BarryFL; 03-25-2020 at 10:39 AM.

6. Member
    Trying to do a basic software update and when I put in my sd card, the file only downloads with the internet explorer symbol. I've tried just to copy and paste the download link also and it doesn't work so basically I'm asking how to do a simple download.

7. Member
    First, use Chrome. Second, that's about it. Open with Chrome, hit download and follow the instructions. You should with a file on your card that ends in .upd

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    First, use Chrome. Second, that's about it. Open with Chrome, hit download and follow the instructions. You should with a file on your card that ends in .upd

NoCAL
    I'm using chrome, but internet explorer opens the download I guess..... But when I put it on my sd card the symbol next to it is the internet explorer symbol

9. Member
    Maybe you copied the temporary file that is created before finished downloading to the SD card.
    Maybe you have the .upd file extension associated with IE.
    Both possible reasons it might have the IE icon?

What is the file name and extension?
    What is the size of the file?

Not sure if you are attempting to update Live or Carbon but the file name and size for Carbon should be...
    HDS_Carbon-20.0-63.1.223-Standard-1.upd
    215,410 KB
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryFL View Post
    More info … the rep said this is a recurring issue with every new product rollout and subsequent software updates. He didn't exactly say it but hinted that Lowrance is trying to use a "one size fits all" approach to software for profits sake rather than have multiple software versions dependent on what a person actually has installed. i.e., I don't have a Ghost and the new software was 99% Ghost related. I probably shouldn't have updated because I didn't really gain anything but I was hoping that down and side scan had improved over the 19 versions. Point being, Lowrance could do a better job of telling consumers if they don't have certain features, no need to upgrade.

I do know this, when I get my unit back, I'm going back to the 18.3 software and leaving well enough alone. I've already rolled the Carbons back to 18...123.
    Update: Lowrance/NAVICO drop shipped me a new SS3D module last night. No feedback other than they couldn't repair my unit so they're sending a new/refurbished one.

WARNING: Be careful updating SS3D modules to Ver 20.

I'll update when new unit is received and installed.

11. Member
    my ss3d updated fine.
    2019 z18 175 ProXs 4 stroke, DC, 10 Ft Power Pole Blades, Relion lithium batteries, Ghost trolling motor, Lowrance Live's, SS structure, Airmar TM150, Vessel View Link, PowerPole Charge.

12. Member
    all 4 of my units, the SS3D and LiveSight transducer updated flawlessly.
    Chad Snow / Massachusetts
    2007 Ranger Reata 210 - Mercury Optimax 225 (#1B446134) - 12' Talons
    Carbon12’s @ Bow w/ AT- live 12 w/ 3D & live 7 @ Helm

13. Member
    Update: Lowrance/NAVICO drop shipped me a new SS3D module last night. No feedback other than they couldn't repair my unit so they're sending a new/refurbished one.

WARNING: Be careful updating SS3D modules to Ver 20.

I'll update when new unit is received and installed.
    Maybe was a fluke...who knows, at least they took care of you (albeit an inconvenience)
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ3 View Post
    Maybe was a fluke...who knows, at least they took care of you (albeit an inconvenience)
    Customer service and tech support has been topnotch! Silver lining to a dark cloud.

15. Banned
    Customer service and tech support has been topnotch! Silver lining to a dark cloud.
    Received a brand new SS3D Module (with Ethernet Cable, Power Cable, fuze and mouting screws) this afternoon. Mounted the module, plugged in both transducer cables, two ethernet cables and power. Turned on power to SS3D and HDS 9 Carbon at console. Before the HDS ever got to the "Accept" screen, got the SS3D enabled alert. Turned on HDS 9 Carbon at the bow, same and the alert asking if I wanted to use Navionics card in console unit. Looks like all is back right. The SS3D came with the 18.3...123 software loaded which is what I planned to use, anyway.

Thanks to all those who helped here and a great big THANK YOU to Lowrance Customer Service and Tech Support!!!

I'm leaving well enough alone and sticking with the 18.3...123 loads in all units.

16. Member
    Thanks for the update.
    ciao,
    Marc

17. Member
    great !!

18. Member
    With downtime I finally bit the bullet and updated my carbon to 20.0. Put me in the camp of having been in love with side scan but disappointed by downscan on my active imagine 2 in 1. Curious to see results but wanted to ask others if you’re seeing improved downscan now that the update has been out a while?

19. Member
    Yes, I would say definitely an improvement on both down and side scan on SS3d. After a minor reconfiguration of settings and soft reset of the unit everything works perfect. I would say just as good as v18.3 if not better on both my live and carbon units.

20. Member
    Thats fairly encouraging. Im actually jumping straight from 18.3 on my carbon. Been disappointed with downscan from the start on active imaging but love the sidescan. Downscan is like having a powerful mag light with nearly dead batteries where you just know it can do so much more but no matter what just doesnt seem to have the power to produce a good detailed image. Keep thinking its one software update away from being on par with lss-2 at least.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast