Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is it worth $600 dollars more for SI on the bow?

Hey fellas,

I'm looking to switch to Helix 10's. Is it worth it to spend $600 more for the SI unit for the trolling motor?
    I know this is an opinion based question but i'd like to hear some opinions.
    Thanks

Mike

No opinion, just fact. I have been using SI at the bow with a SI transducer on the trolling motor for over 10 years. Before 360, that was my primary sonar technology. When I am at the bow fishing I want to see "over there" and "down there". Even with 360, I still use SI at the bow when searching while at the bow.
    I have been on Percy Priest a few times and it works great there.

Waters where fishing for deep suspended fish is the primary pattern, it is not a good tool, but none of the waters I fish are that type.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Another vote for yes, I'd feel lost without si on the bow.

4. Member
    Go for the SI, I got a new 21FX LE. It has a 10 Solix on the bow and a 12 at the helm.
    It came with an Ultrex and the US2 transducer. After Wayne P. told me how to turn it on,
    I realized I needed something else. I got a XTM 14 HW MSI T and installed it this last weekend.
    It shows great pictures on SI even in 2ft of water. Like somebody here told me, if your unit can
    handle the SI - DI - 2D buy it. I wanted the DI mainly for drop shotting. But having the SI ability
    is great! If you can afford it, buy it.

I have SI on the front with the transducer mounted on the TM, and I’ve caught a ton of fish that I’d never of seen without it. Lots of times I’ll see a small school off to the side a cast length or so away, and grab a drop shot or tube and toss it over and it’s game on. For me, it’s definitely worth the money.
    Triton Tr17, Yamaha 130
    Lund Pro V 1900, Optimax 200
    Smokercraft Pro Mag 182, Suzuki DF140
    Helix 9si, 10si mega
    Minnkota Talon, Terrova

6. Member
    Yea. Especially on trolling motor only lakes.
    2006 Stratos 294 Pro XL.2005 Yamaha 200 VMAX 3.1L. 8" Hydro Dynamics Rapid Jack. Ultrex 112 I-Plot link. 2 Helix 10 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N.

No. Put Your money towards a 360 compatible unit. You’ll be running over your targets before you see them. You can scan out ahead of your path. 360 does SI also.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

8. Member
    Only you can decide that. I would never be without SI on the front. If you can afford it, easy decision. If money is tight, then tougher.

You can always spend $1,500 more, or so, and get 360.

Personally, if money was tight, I would go with a smaller unit to get SI. I had a 7 Helix SI on a small boat of mine. It was very good. The 10's are better, but the 7 SI to me would be more useful than a 10 without it.

9. Member
    For what ever my 2 cents are worth.... I’ve never found SI on my TM got used. Even before 360 came out I just seem to “run them over” before seeing them. 360 is on 100% of the time TM is in the water and very useful tool. If it didn’t mean buying new head units I’d get the M360 but since I have to buy a new head unit I’m just keeping my current 360 setup and buying a garmin head unit and LiveScope to do comparison.

10. Member

Cool

I think they are but only you can decide.

I had a Lowrance Elite 5Ti Total Scan on my kayak and sold my yak so now I need to sell it.
    Last edited by BigDozer66; 03-05-2020 at 07:40 PM.
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

11. Member
    Have it on the front of my boat and like it a lot. If you have a lot of trolling motor only lakes like was mentioned in a previous post, its really nice to have.

12. Member
    What model number would you buy for a helix 12SI plus g3n with the trolling motor transducer for si

Quote Originally Posted by Foghorn01 View Post
    What model number would you buy for a helix 12SI plus g3n with the trolling motor transducer for si
    Model number for what?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

14. Member
    Is there a helix 12 model that comes with a trolling motor transducer for si, or do you just use a transom mount transducer with an adapter bracket

All the SI models come standard with a transom mount transducer. You would need to use an adaptor to mount it on the trolling motor. I'm not sure if Humminbird still does it, but the used to do an exchange.

The other option would be to buy a CHO model unit and get a trollling motor with the MSI tranducer built in.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**
    __________________________________________________ ___

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

Quote Originally Posted by Foghorn01 View Post
    Is there a helix 12 model that comes with a trolling motor transducer for si, or do you just use a transom mount transducer with an adapter bracket
    The Humminbird trolling motor adapter for the MEGA SI+ transducer is the AD MTM HW MSI. If you exchange for the trolling motor transducer model, you get the same transducer with that mount, so just save time and get the mount.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

17. Member
    Thanks

18. Member
    Consider something else, if you have SI at the console primarily, a second SI up front would be be a running spare whether you use the SI up front or not.
    I've been 2 days into a full week trip when one side of my SI went out. Having another unit to swap out to continue fishing within full sonar capability is convenient.
    Also helps for troubleshooting when the need arises.
    Console [HELIX 10MSI G3N || HELIX 10MSI G3N]
    Bow [HELIX 12 CHIRP SI GPS G2N] || RC-2] || [HELIX 10MSI G4N] || [M360 UNIVERSAL MOUNT] || [Mega Live]
    ULTERRA80/US2/IPLINK-60" BT || 2xAS ETH 5PXG || Victron IP67 12V/25A || [NoCo Genius GX2440 24V/40A]
    [X2 GROUP 31] x 3 || [Battleborn 31 lithium]
    Alumacraft Voyageur 175/Yamaha VF115LA

I started out wit 2 Helix 8 Mega SI+ G3N's, one at the bow and the other at the console. When I installed the Ultrex with MDI Transducer I went into setting and used the transom transducer for my side imaging at the bow. I've since went to the Helix 10 Mega SI+ G3N at the console and a Helix 10 Mega DI+ G3N at the bow. I ordered the Mega 360 for the side imaging for bow back in January and still haven't received it yet, but hopeful it wont be much longer. I know I could have saved some money if I had a better plan of what my final setup was going to be. I put the trolling motor on 6 months after I purchase the helix 8's, so I could have just got a CHO unit at the bow. Just something to think about what you want as your setup in the end and to get the right units that will be compatible with the current and newer accessories to come in the future. Good luck and Tight Lines.
    Veteran 82nd Airborne Division " ALL THE WAY "

20. Member
    SI on TM is +1.
    RFI battle you'll probably fight is -25.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast