Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Z520L/ Merc 250 4s Performance

Hello everyone it's been a while I know I was able to help alot of you in the past with the merc 250 2s performance issues now in coming to you guys for help hoping anyone has found the rite prop with this combo ive tried several props would list them but I dont want to effect any suggestions of what yall have had success with but ill just say the best I've seen is 69.2mphs at 5820rpms hope to here good news lol and if you dont want to share it on here please message would be greatly appreciated and it want be put out in the street.Thanks....

2. Member
    Having great success out of the 23 fury 3 blade. 72mph at 6150 rpms with a good load in the boat.

3. Member
    Hmmmm everybody must be having the same issue....

4. Banned
    Ricky...I have a G2 but I thought that the new four strokes need to run right around 6200 to achieve maximum performance....sounds like you are a bit short on rpms...is your throttle 100%...also I think that an L is 1 or 2 slower than a C...mine runs 73 ish light and 70-72 fully loaded...

Good luck on your quest

5. Member
    Yes its at 100% via the computer and yes way short on rpms not sure what's going on at this point thanks for the info keep it coming.....

6. Member
    I found that I was running my engine to low. I have a Atlas hyd. jack plate and found by running it at 9 on gauge it's turning 6100 to 6200 and 72.5 loaded with two people and good water pressure. 2019 520L Merc 4s, 23 Fury prop. I would try raising your engine. Good Luck!

23 Fury is the correct prop. If you're sure it is getting to 100% wot then next is the height. Assuming you have an Atlas hyd jack plate, it should be @3 on the tape and 9 on the gauge, that puts ptp right at 3" below.

It won't be quite as fast as a "C" boat (just by a couple mph's) but it should still get to 6100 - 6200 rpm's.
    Last edited by RdRngR; 03-05-2020 at 02:12 PM.
    2B576211

8. Member
    Thanks for all the info guys keep it coming.Yes running hyd plate have been up and down still not getting rpms without losing mph's.I was told that some of these motors want turn fully until the 20 to 25 hour mark which I'm half way there but some turn up quicker so not sure if this is the case or not I know the 2 strokes were notorious for doing this but didn't realize these were doing the same think I was told they have these seating at a slower pace.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickybobby View Post
    Thanks for all the info guys keep it coming.Yes running hyd plate have been up and down still not getting rpms without losing mph's.I was told that some of these motors want turn fully until the 20 to 25 hour mark which I'm half way there but some turn up quicker so not sure if this is the case or not I know the 2 strokes were notorious for doing this but didn't realize these were doing the same think I was told they have these seating at a slower pace.
    I am in the same boat, no pun intended. lol. Hard to get above 6000 RPMS and tops speed has been 69. Can anyone confirm the idea of the mota not reaching full potential until 20-25 hours?

- Ken

"motor not reaching full potential until 20 - 25 hours"
    Never heard that before and definitely not what i experienced. Didn't really try during the 10 hour break in process but gets to 6100 easily (have 25 on it now).
    2B576211

11. mikesxpress
    The CMS V8 250 doesn't have a 20+ hour "potential". It's running at peak after break-in. Sounds like Assbook BS?

I've had my Merc repower on my Z21 Intracoastal since July 2018. Having been thru the propping exercise extensively on my own (I got one of 1st V8's around here in VA), a 23P Fury 3 blade taken to the shop and trued up to an actual 23P will turn 6150 rpms in the summer months. A little over 6200 when it's cooler. The box prop sucked to the point of 5800-5900 at best prior to correction. Note* The Fury doesn't need any prop butcher nonsense done to it. Just brought to a true 23P and run with all PVS holes plugged.
    This engine/gen 3 Torquemaster likes to run higher than the previous 2 stroke ProXS.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RdRngR View Post
    "motor not reaching full potential until 20 - 25 hours"
    Never heard that before and definitely not what i experienced. Didn't really try during the 10 hour break in process but gets to 6100 easily (have 25 on it now).
    This coming from long time Merc mechanic he's usually spot on and I'm hoping he's correct for my current situation lol....

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    The CMS V8 250 doesn't have a 20+ hour "potential". It's running at peak after break-in. Sounds like Assbook BS?

I've had my Merc repower on my Z21 Intracoastal since July 2018. Having been thru the propping exercise extensively on my own (I got one of 1st V8's around here in VA), a 23P Fury 3 blade taken to the shop and trued up to an actual 23P will turn 6150 rpms in the summer months. A little over 6200 when it's cooler. The box prop sucked to the point of 5800-5900 at best prior to correction. Note* The Fury doesn't need any prop butcher nonsense done to it. Just brought to a true 23P and run with all PVS holes plugged.
    This engine/gen 3 Torquemaster likes to run higher than the previous 2 stroke ProXS.

14. Member
    So is everyone on here plugging all vent holes on the Fury 3?
    2023 Ranger 521R DC
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S

Quote Originally Posted by Rickybobby View Post
    This coming from long time Merc mechanic he's usually spot on and I'm hoping he's correct for my current situation lol....
    Ask Don W. in the Merc 4 stroke forum, he would know.
    2B576211

Quote Originally Posted by MakingWaves View Post
    None are plugged
    2B576211

17. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by MakingWaves View Post
    Not sure if the go fasters benefit from any PVS action but the pig Ranger and many others will not see any with the gen3 Torquemaster and the V8. Details on the Mercury board.

18. Member
    Not sure if the go fasters benefit from any PVS action but the pig Ranger and many others will not see any with the gen3 Torquemaster and the V8. Details on the Mercury board.
    Which thread on the merc board are you referring to in regards to gen 3 thx

19. Member

20. Member
    Ran mine again yesterday. Best I could do is 63 MPH @5900 RPM's.
    Ken Kipler
    South Mills, NC by way of
    CV-43, AS-31, CVN-69, FFG-56, CVN-69, CVN-71
    Ranger 520L w/ Merc Pro XS 250 4S (2B635878)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast