Hydra sports 196 help

Hydra sports 196, running a 2004 Johnson 175 carb. 25 renegade with weed ring. Prop to pad is set at 3.5”. Seems the further I go up with prop to pad to keep rpms where they need to be (current set up is 5400 rpms and 55.7 mph) the worse the boat rides(porpoises bad unless running at least 38-40, which sucks on a rough day) and speed suffers. I know I’m missing something. The lower the motor is the better the speed. When I first got it it was set at like 6.5” under and would do 60 with a 24 raker but only 5100 rpms. Tried a fury prop and would run like 62 6.5” under at 5100 but when I raised it to get the fury at 5400 rpms, mph down to 51. I’m so confused idk what to do. I feel like I have the right prop now with the renegade but idk where to go now. I haven’t went higher than 3.5” under because I don’t have a pressure gauge.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. Pat Goff
    You're over thinking it. It happens.
    First, that johnrude won't run as high as a merc or yamaha, nature of the gearcase. So listening to internet wranglers telling you to set it *here* is at best misleading.
    So, that prop is nothing other than another gear, when you have it running at the right height that is giving the proper results, you might indeed need to gear up or down to achieve the correct rpms, whichever that is. If I'd done the work you've done, I'd take the raker, get a quality prop guy to get me a couple hundred rpms and stick it back in the water and go fishing.
    No two boats/motors/prop/load are identical, find your combination and go catch some fish.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>