96 150 Fastrike charging/running problem related?

New member here and a little stumped. model j150gledb. Earlier last fall the motor started a random misfire. Only intermittent, some times on take off, other times at around 46-4800 RPM. Sometimes it would not do it at all. Fast forward to a few weeks ago. I replaced the powerpack, coils, plug wire and optical sensor. All CDI and the recommended Champion plugs. Ran great the first few times out then the next time out it ran great the first run and did not start again. I got towed to the ramp and when i got home the dang thing wouldn't not fire, started right up every time. I went out again this past weekend and same thing-ran fine first run, fished 45 mins or so went to move and no start, no fire. Towed back once again. I checked the kill ckt as i have read about, kill switch lanyard connected. When I got home i put my old powerpack back on, no fire, removed the rectifier and looked ok but the gasket tore. As a last resort i put the old optical sensor back on, inspected the wheel for cracks etc and looked ok. Hit the key and she fired up, of course cant tell much on the muffs other than it runs. Had a tournament yesterday and braved it. It never failed too start but runs like crap, like missing a cylinder. compression test reading 120 psi in all holes. As the day went on it never ran better but never got worse. I also noticed it wasnt charging as normal, usually around 14v and yesterday all i could muster was 4300 rpm and only "charging" at 12.2v. At idle it is lower than that. battery terminals tight and clean -no wing nuts- battery stays on a maintainer and load tested ok. My question-is my rectifier crap or when the gasket tore when i removed the rectifier i had some gasket maker and gooped it up good and tightened it down. Could i have caused a ground problem with too much sealer? I dont see any goo running down the block like a stator failure.🤔

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Test your stator.

3. Member
    +1 on the stator. Mine did the exact same thing (Intruder 150) championman told me check my stator. Guess what? It was my stator. Also, try pushing in the choke when it happens to see if it makes a difference. If it does could be fuel related, but like champiionman said check the stator.
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL 150 Johnson

4. Member
    Welcome Cobra. These guy's are awesome!!! Helped me many times over.
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

5. Member
    Stator test it is. I will update with progress. Thanks

6. Member
    EDFC9D05-41BD-46CE-B277-8B87D328819D.jpegIs this the telltale goo from an overheated stator? I forgot to grab my DVOMwhen I left work so I figured I’d just have a look see.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Hard to tell from your picture, a picture of the coils would be nice. If they look burned then the stator is likely bad.

8. Member

9. Member
    Do you have the real OMC service manual for this motor? If not, you should get one.

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 316jughead View Post
    Do you have the real OMC service manual for this motor? If not, you should get one.
    ^^^^This. I meant all of the coils, you are looking for burned coils.

11. Member
    well the bottom side of the stator told the tale it was melted pretty bad and smelled of electrical. I replaced the stator and rectifier and she is charging once again and good fire on all 6 holes

12. Member
    Awesome glad to hear
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL 150 Johnson

13. Member
    Took her out today for first time since replacing everything. Starts right up idled fine but still has a problem. Gets on pad but not as quick as it should and I only get 4500 rpm or so at WOT and 44/45 mph. Before all this I was running 56-58 mph and 5100 rpm.

14. Member
    I took my spark tester and found one of the new coils was not firing good on bottom starboard cylinder. They all have a good bright purple/blue spark except that one. I had to turn off all the lights in shop to even see it. Put one of the old coils back on and they all fire the same now. New doesn’t always mean good I guess.

15. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra96188 View Post
    I took my spark tester and found one of the new coils was not firing good on bottom starboard cylinder. They all have a good bright purple/blue spark except that one. I had to turn off all the lights in shop to even see it. Put one of the old coils back on and they all fire the same now. New doesn’t always mean good I guess.
    CDI is junk. Went thru so many CDI coils and stators and pick ups that where new and failed or bad from the box.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omcforever View Post
    CDI is junk. Went thru so many CDI coils and stators and pick ups that where new and failed or bad from the box.
    I have never installed any of that CDI junk, but I have replaced a whole lot of it, with OEM parts. Remember with CDI they are in the business of selling parts, we here on this forum are not.