Out of towner coming to Champlain!!

Hey guys,
    I will be coming to Champlain May 16-22. I have never been on a lake with smallmouth and that is what I am looking to go for. Please if anyone could give some ideas on baits and or colors and areas I sure would appreciate it. We will be staying at The Anchorage. I am trying to put together a tackle order for smallmouth. I have never fished a tube (what colors and sizes and weights of hooks) and very rarely drop shot so need a lot of advice on that. I do love jerkbaits and I hear that is a great time for jerkbaits. A couple other questions is what size line. I am normally throwing 65 braid or 16lb flouro. Is 8lb light enough for the clear water on a drop shot rod? How about 10lb on a jerkbait?

I am So looking forward to this trip. My brother an I have not caught a smallmouth over 2.5lbs. Thanks for any help guys.

Happy Fishing!!!
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    doesnt all have to be tubes and drop shot super good action on spinnerbaits and jerkbaits that time of year 10lb fluro is good all around line. if you havent caught a smallmouth over 2.5lbs hold on you will break your PB over and over again.

3. Member
    SSSSOOOOOO looking forward to it!!! Just still need so info on colors and hooks for tubes and dropshot baits.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JINXBASS View Post
    SSSSOOOOOO looking forward to it!!! Just still need so info on colors and hooks for tubes and dropshot baits.
    message Champlainbassman hes a guide and know champlain better then the fish themselves

5. Member
    I've been going to Champlain for years the week of Memorial Day. Done well on Jerkbaits white and silver. Done really well on Chrome and Blue Chug bugs of all things. Nothing like 3 and 4 lbs smallie hitting topwater. Square bill cranks in 8 to 12 ft usually white and geen. Most years it's not hard to find a good bite.

6. Member
    Oh lord!!! A top water bite that early???
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

7. Member
    Yes sir! Hard to believe I know but it's true.

8. Member
    This is a bucket list trip for me. All I am asking for is a small mouth over 3lbs. I am not gonna be greedy.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

9. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    This is a bucket list trip for me. All I am asking for is a small mouth over 3lbs. I am not gonna be greedy.
    lol.... you will have way more then 1.

10. Member
    3lb is average especially in May. A few buddies of mine jackpot the Cashions and they’ve said if they come in with a 15lb bag of smallies, they’ll just release them and not even weigh in since a 3lb average is good enough for middle of the pack. Expect to break your PB multiple times. Jerkbaits, jigs, ned rigs, spinnerbaits, Crankbaits, small swimbaits etc will all work. The fish up there only get about 6-7months of open water pressure so they feed like crazy. Mid May, expect most of the fish to be prespawn to early spawn
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

11. Member
    So no tubes are necessary? I have never fished a tube and kind of want to try it. My drop shotting is not great either.

How about swim jigs. I love a swim jig.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

12. Member
    So no tubes are necessary? I have never fished a tube and kind of want to try it. My drop shotting is not great either.

How about swim jigs. I love a swim jig.
    tubes work wonders on smallies. Get some Strike king coffee tubes and drag them on the bottom with a few hops thrown in. They’ll bite. With a drop shot, less is more. Don’t shake the rod like you’re having convulsions. Cast it out and drag it back, stop every now and then and hold the rod, let the wind and waves work the bait. I learned from a guy who fished the FLW tour, and he learned from Shin Fukae and Aaron Martens. I’m not a dropshot guru at all but the biggest mistake i see is people shaking to rod too much.

As far swim jigs, id personally leave them at home. Early May is mostly about crayfish and bottom bait. You could try a swim jig, but it wouldn’t be on my rods up there.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

13. Member
    Thanks that is some of the info I am looking for. I am assuming that natural craw colors are best? How heavy of a weight?
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

14. Tony C
    Sent you a pm
    Ranger Z21/Yamaha HPDI 250

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonyc View Post
    Sent you a pm
    Got it thanks
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx

16. Member
    Getbit baits tubes in the 2.75" size, these are tye best tubes for me in any area with smallmouth. But that time of year its all dependent on water temps and clarity. Depends on what stage they are in, if they moved up in prespawn mode they will chase down anything.

17. Member
    If your staying at the Anchorage, just talk with the owner Dave. He is a very good fisherman and can help you out.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wyngo View Post
    If your staying at the Anchorage, just talk with the owner Dave. He is a very good fisherman and can help you out.
    Ok will do.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx