Neely Henry Lodging

Any lodging recommendations at Neely Henry?

2. Member
    What time of year? Where are you launching?
    1997 STRATOS 285 PE EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175

3. Dogfish_Jones
    Gadsden if you are putting in up north, Pell City on the South side. There is a hotel on Hwy 77 in Talladega also right at I-20.

4. Member
    First week of May. Launch out of Gasden.

5. Member
    Hampton Inn Gadsden, not West Gadsden location. If you are budget minded, Gadsden Motor Inn. There are several hotels at the West Gadsden Hampton Inn location and good restaurants. That is also referred to as "the cracker barrel" exit off I59.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassHog007 View Post
    Any lodging recommendations at Neely Henry?
    If you have never been there before, you will need an ACCURATE map card. This isn't a TVA impoundment and there are no river channel markers.
    You can get in trouble QUICKLY there.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    If you have never been there before, you will need an ACCURATE map card. This isn't a TVA impoundment and there are no river channel markers.
    You can get in trouble QUICKLY there.
    There are markers now but were not installed in the best places. NOT all 52 miles of the river is marked. Minnesotta Bend south to Greesport has channel markers. But, a map card would be helpful.

8. Dogfish_Jones
    Yes, please have a good mapping card. There are many twist and turns on this lake(River) and if you get out of the channel in some spots, you will have a bent prop or worse.

9. Member
    I was there yesterday and there are NO Channel markers. There are some poles with signs on them but they are sitting in about a foot of water maybe. Use your GPS and you will be fine.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drake322 View Post
    Hampton Inn Gadsden, not West Gadsden location. If you are budget minded, Gadsden Motor Inn. There are several hotels at the West Gadsden Hampton Inn location and good restaurants. That is also referred to as "the cracker barrel" exit off I59.
    +1 Hampton Inn. Stayed there many times.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bustasack View Post
    I was there yesterday and there are NO Channel markers. There are some poles with signs on them but they are sitting in about a foot of water maybe. Use your GPS and you will be fine.
    They were installed to be channel markers and NO they are not in best places at all! Realize too that Neely was down 4 foot from normal winter pool because of the rains. State/Alabama Power teamed up for that. Guy that drove them in with his pile driver was not even from our river. APCO gave him some gps coordinates to go by. Poles have numbers on them for what I do not know but the arrow points to channel. They are supposed to be a mile apart but are not.

Map card for sure!

12. Member
    No it was down 2.5 ft to be exact yesterday.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bustasack View Post
    No it was down 2.5 ft to be exact yesterday.
    I live on Neely. Depends whether you are above or below Minnesotta Bend. Yes, by late afternoon it had came up to 505' and some change at my place.