Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    If nobody buys something new how are the rest of us going to know if it's good or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    If nobody buys something new how are the rest of us going to know if it's good or not?

Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Sounds like you need an ultrex, those things have no issues!

Even when these updates come out this month, you’ll still be having issues on your aluminum boat. Just save yourself some whining and sale that TM.

OP, make a thread in the Lowrance page and ask guys to comment on who all is happy and would purchase one again.

and he's off...........................

4. Banned
    Technology is a great thing, until it stops working... my fortrex has worked flawlessly for 7 years and feels just like a cable steer. There's something to be said about simplicity. I hope minn kota doesn't forget about us simple guys and makes an upgrade to the fortrex. If not, I really like the new motorguide and the improvements they have made to the old school cable drives.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by champy View Post
    I have recently been in touch with Lowrance and asked these questions which to this day they advertise to work on their motor...
    1. Does the Course Lock function work as advertised on the website and videos?.... No
    2. Does the Heading Lock function work as advertised on the website and videos?....No
    3. Can you create a wayoint as advertised on your website and videos?....No
    4. Does the Power Pole function work as advertised on the website and videos?....No
    5. Is the TMC puck extention cable available yet?......No (just very recently a spare prop was not available)
    6. Does the Bluetooth pairing function work as advertised? No
    7. Are their any authorised repair centers available?.... No, at least not in my area.
    8. Lowrance I heard does report and admit there are many anchor lock issues with lighter boats at this time (mine doesn't work at all).
    9. The calibration audible tone is very hard to hear for some people. This is important for calibrating and troubleshooting.
    10. Is the 3-1 Active Imaging sidescan transducer available yet as advertised on the website and many videos?.... No (this one was a tough one for me as i sold my sonic hub thinking i would not need it as I trusted Lowrance.)
    Jeff
    There is NO such thing as truth in advertising, especially in today's overly exaggerated Photoshopped social media BS.

6. Member
    Yes,, which is why I am sticking with my hand control.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboat View Post
    Without details this is a troll. Go back under the bridge.
    Yeah, obvious troll is obvious. Drops this thread with zero details only to never be heard from again.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

8. Member
    Is the ghost next gen ultrex?

9. Member

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by creekchub View Post
    Not sure what you’re asking about, are you talking about certain features or what specifically?

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    My original interests were in the Ghost or the new Motorguide.
    I was hoping the MG would be substantially cheaper than the Ultrex (due to the lack of power steering), but its not. This has me leaning more toward the Ultrex or Ghost.
    Unless I am missing something the new MG has power steering. How else would the spot lock feature work?
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by e-tec View Post
    Unless I am missing something the new MG has power steering. How else would the spot lock feature work?
    I thought so too? I checked everywhere on the MG site and others and its never mentioned. Its listed as TRUE cable steer.
    Ultrex uses cables, but only to work a switch.
    My guess is when spot lock is turned on the MG, it must engage a gear system.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

13. Banned

They are calling it “electric assist”. The motor will still turn should the electric part go out, but it becomes harder.

14. Member
    I don't know much about the new Lowrance motor. I did, however, have along conversation with the Motor-Guide people at the ICAST show back in 2018 and asked them when they would have a new motor that could compete with the MK Ultrex. They told me that they had been working on a new motor and had some in the field for testing, but also told me that it was very challenging to build all of those features into a trolling motor and get everything to sync together with electronics, etc. Based on all the feedback I've seen on the Ultrex and these other new motors, I have to believe what they said is true. Personally, I wouldn't touch any of these motors until they've been in the field for a year or two, because it will take that long to work all the bugs out and get all the updates working. I don't have a factory service truck waiting at the ramp like the pros do at the end of the day so I can't afford to experiment with new equipment that doesn't work.

15. Member
    It must have an electric actuator controlled by electronic board to modulate the steering cable or the pedal itself when GPS signals are sent to it.
    In other words, a lot of expensive crap that at some point will need to be repaired and replaced.

16. Member
    I had the Ghost for a week now with four fishing trips under my belt and I'm really impressed with itt:

1. Mount appears to be very robust and will built. However time will tell.
    2. The foot control works really well with good pressure feedback. It has been a very easy transition from a Fortrex. I would not worry about changing from cable steer to steer by wire.
    3. Anchor mode works great even in calm water.
    4. I'm running in 24 volt mode and I have a Lynx. I think the Ghost has 97 pounds of thrust in 24 volt which is only 4 less than my old 36 volt Fortrex. Top speed with the Ghost in calm conditions is 2.8 mph. If I find that I have 24 volt have performance issues in rough water I will switch to 36 volt. With 24 volts, I shed 65 pounds of weight for the third 31 series AGM battery.
    5. The propeller motor is very quiet and the steering motor does make some noise but it is not annoying.
    6. The only problem I have had is with the cable popping out of the two clamps and getting pinched in the mount. This was easily fixed with some wire ties as described in the installation manual.

17. Member
    They are calling it “electric assist”. The motor will still turn should the electric part go out, but it becomes harder.
    I could not find anywhere that MotorGuide states it has Steering assist. Only Lift assist and true cable steer.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    I could not find anywhere that MotorGuide states it has Steering assist. Only Lift assist and true cable steer.

It was on some of the Icast videos on YouTube. The video where the designer was taking to Russell from RMP, it I remember correctly.

I replaced a one year old Ultrex with the 36 volt Ghost and am anxiously awaiting the 3 in 1 nose cone for structure and side scan. In the meantime, I fish Lake Fork at least 60 to 70 days per year and I would never go back to the MinnKota on my FX21LE Skeeter. I have a real problem with Lowrance letting Garmin kick their butt like a pro team playing kindergarteners when it comes to Panoptik Livescope units available right now versus Lowrance’s pathetic Livesight but the Ghost is a big home run over MinnKota or Garmin trolling motors.

20. Member

Ultrex not as good as you think

I have a ultrex that today took a complete dump I have broken cables 2 times and now the it sounds like a rocks are inside the Head and the prop will not physically spin even by hand. my ultrex is 4 years old was fixed under warrantee 2 times. they are not as good as you think they are. I have babied mine and it still crapped out.
    I will be ordering a Ghost ASAP. Anyone want a free boat ancor??

Sounds like you need an ultrex, those things have no issues!

Even when these updates come out this month, you’ll still be having issues on your aluminum boat. Just save yourself some whining and sale that TM.

OP, make a thread in the Lowrance page and ask guys to comment on who all is happy and would purchase one again.

2012 Ranger Z520 Comanche

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast