Best Method to Fish Wire from Back of Boat to Console or Vice-Versa

What is the best way to fish a 12-gauge wire from the back of my boat (battery compartment area), through the factory conduit, up to the driver's console? I'd really like to minimize the wire-fishing frustration, if that's possible. Thanks in advance.
    2016 Ranger Z518 - 150 HP Mercury 4-Stroke

2. Member
    Couple ways to do this.
    Fish tape is my first recommendation. I think Harbor Freight has a cheapy. Pull in a spare "pull wire" for future needs.
    If a fish tape is not an option, find an existing wire that you can disconnect at one end or the other and use it as a pull wire. Attach a spare wire to use to pull the one you disconnected back in and reconnect it.
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

3. Member
    Following is from a past post of mine, I hope it will help you out.

Then I took off the electric panel that has the start and acc buttons to run the fish tape. The tape went back to the back and I did not try to go through any tubes, I could see the fish but could not get it as there is no room. I pulled the tape out and ran it from the stern to the console and on first try it showed up where I took electric panel off. I taped onto the fish a length of exterior wire that was flexible and pulled the fish tape back to the stern where I took the fish tape off leaving the wire in place went back the console and taped on the fish tape to the wire and pulled the wire to the back so I now have the fish tape end at the stern. I taped the transducers to the fish tape end and pulled them to the console and they went through with no problems on the first pull.
    2019 Ranger Z 518 L
    200 Merc Pro XS 4 Stroke
    2016 Chaparral 246 SSI
    350 Mercruiser
    On new boat # 10

4. Prepare to be dazzled.
    Cheap fish tape, I use weed eater line as a pull wire. Always pull a spare whenever you need a cable or wire in. Be sure to tape the head up real good.

\"The only difference between me and the pros....they catch more fish.\".......Me

5. Member
    On my Ranger, I used the smallest tape for sale at HD. Hardest issue was to find the entrance on rear starboard position where wires were run from the factory, pretty far and hard to see under the deck. I ran the fish tape inside the PVC pipe that is used for this by Ranger. Know that the run pipe is split (at least it is on my boat) behind the motor control box which must be unbolted and pulled out slightly and there you will find your tape. Push the tape by reaching inside the hole under the control box (throttle/gear selector) and routing to the console. One can also run this tape from the console to the bow if needed. Really not hard to fish. If you can't find the entry at the stern, you might try running it backwards with the motor control box pulled out.

Take the driver side seat out.

7. Member
    Does removing driver seat help on the newer models? I know they did with early 201x models but I know the wall behind the seat is solid on 2015 and newer. Without taking the throttle and plastic trim off, take the vent lid off and use that as an extra access point.
    Joey Aderhold

8. Member
    Disconnect the battery first so there are no surprises. $.02

If you are gonna run a fish tape up the rigging tube from the stern forward, hope you got long arms to get it started in the tube.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Z518 Comanche View Post
    Take the driver side seat out.
    Yep this is the best and easiest way ��

11. Member
    How do you remove the driver's seat?

12. Member
    I have used a shop vacuum taped to a wire run end and let it suck the pull line thru. Sometimes it doesn’t work but not often.

13. Member
    On my 520C, I bought some of the flexible sticks that come in 4' lengths that can be threaded together. That worked well and in my opinion better than fish tape. No need to pull the seat.

Here's what I used:

https://www.menards.com/main/electri...065-c-6458.htm
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

14. Member
    I ran a fish tape and then attached a piece of twine to the fish tape. The twine was long enough so that when I pulled the fish tape back out, it actually left two lengths of twine in the wiring run. I tied the two ends of the twine together making a big loop with one end under the console and the other under the bow panel. I went this route so if I needed to run something else to the bow I could attach it to the twine and run it thru and since the twine was a loop, I would never lose my cheater twine for future wiring runs.

Hope that made sense
    2013 Z118 w/Merc 150 4S

15. Member
    Thanks for all the replies!

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by electritek View Post
    If you are gonna run a fish tape up the rigging tube from the stern forward, hope you got long arms to get it started in the tube.
    That is exactly how I did it. Yeah, long arms......a little scratched up after I did it too.