Thread: Boggs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Boggs

Anyone been to Boggs lately? I'm going tomorrow. Not asking for fishing info. Just wanted to know how it looks.
    Water level? Clarity? Temp?
    Thanks

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Drove past it a couple of times yesterday. “Looked” normal. Couldn’t see any splashing in the spillway. No boats on it, but it’s going to be a lot warmer tomorrow than it was yesterday.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Thanks

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKev View Post
    Anyone been to Boggs lately? I'm going tomorrow. Not asking for fishing info. Just wanted to know how it looks.
    Water level? Clarity? Temp?
    Thanks
    Let us know how you do...
    "Absence of Evidence does not mean Evidence of Absence."
    - Dr. Carl Sagan

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BackLash625 View Post
    Let us know how you do...
    X2. Weather is getting tolerable for fishing!
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    2 keeper bass. No other bites. We were the first boat there and put in at daylight and fished until 2:30. Both fish were caught early in the morning. I thought it would only get better in the afternoon. But not for us. I couldn't believe how many boats were on the lake by the time we left. You had to find a place in line in the 2 tributaries closest to the dam. It was stupid when we were leaving. There was a line of boats waiting to launch while we were taking out.
    Water temp 40 degrees first thing in morning and never changed much (40-41.5). Maybe a foot of visibility. These conditions were the same on both ends of the lake. We actually finished up by the dam and boats were still coming. Every fish in that lake must have holes in them by May.

7. Member
    I just can't figure why grown men want to go down there and fish for the bass that are in that lake right now....panfishermen excluded. Let em grow up some

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaBassMan View Post
    I just can't figure why grown men want to go down there and fish for the bass that are in that lake right now....panfishermen excluded. Let em grow up some
    Because its easy and its fun for a while. Besides, without a good food source like shad, those bass probably aren't going to get a whole lot bigger than they are now.
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

You can call me and I will explain it to you. Grown man to Grown man.

10. Member
    Point taken, but apparently there are mixed opinions on this..

http://www.usabassin.com/modules.php...divisionID=515
    - Dr. Carl Sagan

11. Member
    There are plenty of 14-17 inch bass in there. That's the size I'm happy to work hard to catch at other public lakes.

12. Member
    The fish in West Boggs aren’t going to get a chance to grow much bigger than they are now due to the heavy fishing pressure from the Amish and other meat hunters that camp and take more than a limit per day. Not much DNR enforcement either.

13. Member

you will find that the tourneys and the first open is pretty much filled up. Check anyway to see if there is still a opening.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorShine View Post
    You can call me and I will explain it to you. Grown man to Grown man.
    Ok tough guy

15. Member

Whopping results....proves my point.

Funny little thread, sad how people get their panties in a wad over fishing.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

17. Member
    I realize there are more serious issues going on on this planet. But this is a fishing forum and it does fire me up when people break the rules and abnormally affect the health of a resource, in this case bass. I also worry about the bass not getting a chance to grow much bigger due to meat hunters. I don't see any harm in keeping a few legal bass WITHIN THE LAWS. I personally don't keep bass and will keep a mess of pan fish (within the law) at times. It's sad that there needs to be enforcement on creel limits to keep people honest. I wish everyone could respect the few decent lakes we have in this state. I have a good friend who grew up and still frequently visits family in Lagootee. He introduced me to Boggs last year and I think it's a gem and look forward to fishing it several times a year. I could tell from Sunday that the pressure will be enormous on Boggs this year. Catch and release will need to be a priority. It won't take many egregious rule breakers to decimate the resource.
    The above post wasn't the first time I've heard the Amish keep too many fish. I personally don't know the truth on that and hesitate to blame a group of people without proof.
    Do they purchase a fishing license? Are they keeping 5 or less of minimum size a day? Are they paying the lake entry fees like everyone else? If the answer is yes, we don't have to like it but no laws are being broken.
    The Amish practice being people of the land on a daily basis. It's hard to imagine many of them having utter disregard for conservation in fisheries.
    I'm sure there are folks of all backgrounds that could be overharvesting. I just hope the vast majority do the right things for Boggs. It sounds like it's been through a lot over the past 10 years. I'm new to visiting it but hope to make several stops there a year.

18. Member
    Amish know the laws and how to use them to their favor. 2 adults and 4 kids in a 16-17’ jon boat can keep 6 limits. Same goes for a couple of families on a small pontoon boat. Go to the west side of the lake where the county road crosses the lake and in the summer, no place to park as the bank is lined with them fishing. Check the launch parking lot tomorrow and I bet you can count 30 vehicles with boat trailers on them as well as at least a minumium of 50-60 parked on weekends not counting the campers in the camp grounds. Lake is only 600 acres and the county grossed more than a million dollars in the bank last year. Does anybody here expect the fishing after the 3rd time stocking it to last? Better fish it this year as it’s gettting raped,by the fishing pressure. I used to fish it and won’t anymore due to the pressure as I live 15 miles from it. Don’t get me started on the pollution from the turkey barns, hog farms, and cattle raised all by Amish that is dumping into the watershed. The water by June’s heat turns ugly with the algae buildup thru the summer.

Interesting thread. As for Boggs Lake and any other lake in the state, what about a slot limit? Size limit? Daily limit? There are some lakes like Turtle Creek 1 bass, 20" minimum per day. The Bass in Indiana and across the country are getting more pressure on them than ever. Me and a buddy was fishing a 800 acre lake last year and there was 3 bass clubs holding tournaments that day with a total of 78 boats plus people not in the tournaments fishing, we had about 40 yards of bank that we could fish at any one time or fish out in the middle of the lake. I know all the fish were released but for the weekend angler it sure makes it tough to enjoy bass fishing with most of the bass in the lake lip burnt. "Sorry about the rant", but there are plenty of pan fish in the lake for the meat hunters. Raise the size limit to 18" and lower the limits to 2 per day.
    Veteran 82nd Airborne Division " ALL THE WAY "

20. Member
    If you want to do things right, take a look at what the Canadian's do.. they will completely close a lake for a number of years. Their Ministry of Natural Resources personnel have boats, planes and automatic weapons to do their jobs.. They have road-blocks where they conduct creel inspections. Penalties are stiff. In contrast, you have the state of Indiana that doesn't place a priority on it's natural resources. Our DNR is horribly underfunded. I've heard stories of DNR officers parking their vehicles because they've exceeded their monthly mileage quota. Indiana water quality is ranked 50th in the nation because we are a state whose economy is driven by agriculture. Money and the p-word drive what we see at our lakes given they are multi-use facilities.
    It is commendable that a lot of the people who post here do their part to preserve what little we have with regards to resources.. but until changes take place at the top levels we will continue to witness our lakes over fished and overharvested because restrictions are not enforced or are too relaxed.

Boggs is just the latest in a line of lakes we've all seen this happen to.
    Last edited by BackLash625; 03-04-2020 at 09:49 AM.
    - Dr. Carl Sagan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast