Thread: Boggs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Last edited by fishinarc; 07-28-2021 at 01:06 PM.

2. Member
    I'm certain the lake will become tough again. There are shad in the lake and in greater quantities than you'd think. Lot's of the shad are past the size of being "edible" for most bass. The only way the fishery will continue to be "good" to most people's standards is for the park to establish a stocking program for bass, crappie, bluegill, etc to keep up with the mortality rates, harvest rates, and increasing baitfish population.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishinarc View Post
    While your frustration is understandable, other than enforcement of fish and game statutes, the State of Indiana has no input on the management of West Boggs Reservoir. It is owned and managed by Martin and Davies Counties and is part of a conservancy district.
    Ok.. ya got me..

Belushi-335x188.jpg
    "Absence of Evidence does not mean Evidence of Absence."
    - Dr. Carl Sagan

Last edited by fishinarc; 07-28-2021 at 01:05 PM.

5. Member
    However, DNR has done 2 fish surveys in shocking past couple months and now have I think several hundred crappies tagged as they want to see how quick they are being caught. Then they will determine whether they are going to put a size limit on crappie. They know the fishing pressure is horrendous. Davis Co, and Logoottee have a booth in various Sports Shows advertising the Park every year to keep the money rolling in from admissions, launch fees, camping, etc. AND, all 3 times the lake has been drained, shad poisoned, then restocked, it’s been your tax dollars at work as DNR occurs the expenses and not the Park or Co. or City that owns Boggs.
    Last edited by cevans; 03-04-2020 at 12:02 PM.

6. Banned
    It’s seems like the county has a cash cow there with how good the fishing is there. You would think They could allocate money to stock each year. Basically just replenishing what is being taken out. Only seems like a smart business move to me
    Last edited by catch5; 03-06-2020 at 05:25 PM.

7. Member
    I see your point now cevans. Folks can do damage in a hurry if all keeping limits of bass with those numbers of fisherman throughout the season. That would assume they are all skilled enough to catch that many bass over 14 inches. There were still a lot of 13.5 inches last year but they'll be over 14 this year. If somebody wants meat that bad seems like they'd focus on gills and crappie. But in doing so one will definitely get some bass bites. And if one is in the keeping fish mode, they won't hesitate to add to their meat collection with some bass. Hopefully they at least respect the 14 inch rule and have a measuring board. It's pretty easy to convince yourself a bass makes the minimum length when it actually does not.

And yes hopefully those counties have some folks in charge who will listen to those who know what they're talking about. They certainly raked in some dough last year. Some serious dough.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKev View Post
    I see your point now cevans. Folks can do damage in a hurry if all keeping limits of bass with those numbers of fisherman throughout the season. That would assume they are all skilled enough to catch that many bass over 14 inches. There were still a lot of 13.5 inches last year but they'll be over 14 this year. If somebody wants meat that bad seems like they'd focus on gills and crappie. But in doing so one will definitely get some bass bites. And if one is in the keeping fish mode, they won't hesitate to add to their meat collection with some bass. Hopefully they at least respect the 14 inch rule and have a measuring board. It's pretty easy to convince yourself a bass makes the minimum length when it actually does not.

And yes hopefully those counties have some folks in charge who will listen to those who know what they're talking about. They certainly raked in some dough last year. Some serious dough.
    Had to pay for that new golf cart parking lot at the beach!!! lol

Last edited by fishinarc; 07-28-2021 at 01:04 PM.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishinarc View Post
    Unfortunately the particular group most often noted for their "keep them all" mentality has no respect for laws or rules which would limit their overharvesting of any fish or game..
    And with their purchases of farms and land, they don’t pay any taxes using their religion and church to put everything in ownership into. They know how to game the system.

11. Member
    So hows it fishing then? Whats the water like?

12. Member
    Close friend of mine fish’s all the USA Bass tourneys and opens,,,you can weigh in 5 fish a shade over 14” but it takes a good kicker to win. If crappie fishing, when you find a school right now in deep water,,and use spot lock to jig fish them or minnow fish them, it’s like a bunch of pyrania as the boats will swam you and get within 10’ of you horning in on your spot. If you tell a boatload of Amish to get the hell away and give you some room, they don’t pay attention to you. Best blue gill fishing will happen this spring if they didn’t rape it too bad last summer but this year will be the icing on raping it as biggest gills you will ever catch in Indiana and lots of them and red ears but you have to fish the beds, and once again, the swarms of boats will move right in on you. What your doing tho is devastating the beds. Super easy to find them using 360, mega 360, and SI in 4’ to 9’ of water. I just won’t fish Boggs anymore due to the pollution and fishing pressure. Pollution is heavy and no way to get rid of it. You will find the green scum like frog scum floating in the water at all depths, and will get heavier has the water heats up. Suck that stuff up in your motor and let it harden and your liable to burn it up. I spend all my time on Patoka, Monroe, Brookville, Lemon and Catarac and have no problems catching all species in them.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsmith223 View Post
    So hows it fishing then? Whats the water like?
    Post #6 was my Sunday experience

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKev View Post
    Post #6 was my Sunday experience
    That’s typically normal weekend, and about the same with 30-40 parked in launch lot during the weekdays. Worse as the weather warms up. I cannot exaggerate the fishing pressure on 600 acres of water and it’s not all fishable acres of water either.

You realize that boggs has always been a place that people keep fish. It also grows large bass, at least it has the last two times before they killed it all off. It is managed as a panfish lake, they care very little about bass fishing there. That doesn't mean it won't be a good bass lake again. History tends to repeat itself, about the time it becomes a great little bass lake they will kill it off and start over.

Boggs and Waveland are like most of the lakes up in the northern part of the state.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

16. Member
    Cubswin, Last 3 yrs has been crazy with triple the fishing pressure. The Conservancy has been advertising hell out of it thru 20’ booth in Indy Sports Show as well as attending other events and shows. Their advertising is paying off big time in the fact they have grossed more than a million in user fees past 3 consectutive years. It’s crazy when you have a report from basscatkev and what I see as when basscatkev was on Boggs, I was checking out lake lemon with not one boat on it, and my seeing only one boat on Monroe and nobody parked or launched at Cutright last weekend while checking water temps driving around with the wife. All the pressure is on Boggs,no bigger,than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by cevans View Post
    Cubswin, Last 3 yrs has been crazy with triple the fishing pressure. The Conservancy has been advertising hell out of it thru 20’ booth in Indy Sports Show as well as attending other events and shows. Their advertising is paying off big time in the fact they have grossed more than a million in user fees past 3 consectutive years. It’s crazy when you have a report from basscatkev and what I see as when basscatkev was on Boggs, I was checking out lake lemon with not one boat on it, and my seeing only one boat on Monroe and nobody parked or launched at Cutright last weekend while checking water temps driving around with the wife. All the pressure is on Boggs,no bigger,than it is.
    It is a money maker, and is why they keep the panfish guys fairly happy when the shad and bass start to take over. Every time I've been there it has been slammed. Pressure up here is usually limited by parking at the ramps, but with all the tournaments every lake is busy. Shoot went to a 60 acre lake last year that was having a tournament on it. I'd be willing to bet that the bass will do just fine in boggs, even with the pressure. I've never really gotten why clubs think they should have tournaments on it, but bright side is I only go there when I'm visiting friends. If it is busy, always dogwood, monroe, lemon, or even running over to turtle creek or shakamak.

Sullivan still get slammed in the spring?
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

18. Member
    Yep, Sullivan gets slammed and I never fish it anymore either. Did I ever mention I eat everything I keep? Including have eaten Asian carp? It’s the new white meat.

Last edited by fishinarc; 05-29-2021 at 10:16 AM.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cevans View Post
    That’s typically normal weekend, and about the same with 30-40 parked in launch lot during the weekdays. Worse as the weather warms up. I cannot exaggerate the fishing pressure on 600 acres of water and it’s not all fishable acres of water either.
    When the weather gets decent there's the additional mix of Jet Ski's and Boat Tubes that make it so rough you can't keep your trolling motor in the water...
    "Absence of Evidence does not mean Evidence of Absence."
    - Dr. Carl Sagan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast