Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chevy Colorado with 6’ Bed - Light Tow Duty and Reliability?

Curious about how you guys are liking the Chevy Colorado. I am interested in the 3.5 V6 with 4x4 and the 6’ bed. I’m not sure if it’s a true 6’ bed. I would probably only tow up to a 17’ or 18 1/2 boat with it. Some towing through East Coast hills and mountains in the Virginia up to New England area is possible.

Right now I am driving a full size Tundra with the 5.7 and 4x4 and I am starting to realize that I’m a bit tired of averaging 12-14 MPG during daily driving.

The Colorado seems like it could fit my needs with 18-24 MPG. I really want at least a 6’ bed so I can sleep in there. The truck is definitely going to have a cap on it.

I’m a little nervous about possibly going back to Chevy. I just feel a lot more confident driving a Toyota. Wondering if any of you guys have put 100-150-200k on your truck and how they’re holding up. I would want to keep this truck for at least 5-7 years and 150-200k with hopefully only one or two mechanical issues which is what I know I would get out of my tundra. 65k on my truck right now and zero issues so far other than routine maintenance.

Thanks.

2. Member
    Look up torque converter problems and you won’t buy a colorado.
    2015 189 trx

Get a Tacoma with the 6’ bed.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by I.P. Freely View Post
    Get a Tacoma with the 6’ bed.
    I don’t think you can get a Tacoma with anything bigger than 5’ 1/2 and that’s too small to sleep in comfortably.

I wish they never stopped making the first generation Tundras. They had it perfect with both models available.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    What size and type of boat?
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

6. Moderator
    I have a tundra that I just got and it's a pig. But a little more money for gas far exceeds a weak (compared to the tundra) Gm V6....No way I'd make that trade....no way!

Quote Originally Posted by 5-20 View Post
    I don’t think you can get a Tacoma with anything bigger than 5’ 1/2 and that’s too small to sleep in comfortably.

I wish they never stopped making the first generation Tundras. They had it perfect with both models available.
    Weird, I went to Toyota’s website it only shows the 6’ bed in the access cab, look on Autotrader and theirs a bunch of new Tacoma crew cabs with the 6’ bed? https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&firstRecord=0

8. Member
    I drove my Colorado to about 70k when I traded it. I liked it. Only traded it because I wanted a full size truck. We had only 1 issue and it was a minor power window issue. If you are planning on keeping it that long I would get the diesel option for sure. The Colorado is so far ahead of the current Tacoma platform it isn't even close. The Colorado wins literally every magazine comparison test of mid size trucks since it came out. The Toyota may be more reliable long term, but that isn't surprising when you are selling a truck that is based off of tech that competitors were using two generations ago.
    2015 Ranger rt188/115 Etec

Pulled a 19 foot with my old Tacoma. Pulled it just fine. You will definitely tell a difference from your Tundra. I had a 6 foot bed on my Tacoma, but that was the last generation. It was available in some configurations, but not in others. I had the trd sport, the trd off-road was only available with the 5 foot bed. Not sure what the case is with the new ones.

10. Member
    Towing capability for me is secondary to long term reliability. If it can pull a rig weighing maybe 3,500 lbs altogether decent enough I would be happy with that.

Diesel motor. Hmm. I make a lot of short and quick trips. Not sure how that would work out with the diesel.

11. Member
    A co worker has a 5 cylinder Colorado. He claims it tows fine going down the road and it is somewhat hilly around here. I know first gear is a little tall. You have to slip the clutch pretty good at a few ramps pulling out his boat.

12. Member
    The AWD Ridgeline has more interior room and will pull 3500 pounds no problem. I’ve tried to go smaller a few times, always go back to FS. I went with another antiquated Tundra for the reliability.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    The AWD Ridgeline has more interior room and will pull 3500 pounds no problem. I’ve tried to go smaller a few times, always go back to FS. I went with another antiquated Tundra for the reliability.
    That is actually what I have been thinking about doing too. Just getting harder and harder to find a reasonably low mileage G1 tundra in great shape. These trucks definitely go for a pretty penny, but most of them are totally worth it considering what auto repairs cost nowadays and how reliable those trucks are.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukhntr View Post
    I have a tundra that I just got and it's a pig. But a little more money for gas far exceeds a weak (compared to the tundra) Gm V6....No way I'd make that trade....no way!

weak? 300 hp best running domestic v6 out there!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Hmm. I make a lot of short and quick trips. Not sure how that would work out with the diesel.
    We have a diesel X5...pure stop and go in Honolulu...lots of short trips. 135k miles, first major issue was due to gas in a diesel tank at the gas station. Separated the head. Other than that we have had no issues. The diesel Colorado is 75% my next vehicle when the raptor hits 250k.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    weak? 300 hp best running domestic v6 out there!
    308 to be exact...
    2015 Ranger rt188/115 Etec

I have an 18 colorado z71 4x4 with the 308 hp V6. It is a shortbed (5') though. I have not had an ounce of issue with it since i bought it new. Make sure you get the tow package. I tow a 178 ranger with a 150 on the back and it gets 18 mpg's when towing. The dealer called me and told me that i needed to take truck in for a flush on the tranny 2 months after i got it. This was last march. I asked why and said it was a service bulletin that needed to be accomplished for a tranny issue. New colorados do not have the issue some on here speak of.
    When towing i leave it in 7th gear cause 8th gear is to low at highway speeds of 70mph. I dont go over that on the highway with boat in tow (my preference).
    The truck is really tuned for towing and without the boat it definitely has some get-up-and-go.

Screenshot_20181107-164638_Gmail.jpg
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

18. Member
    Lots of great comments and input. Appreciate all of it.

The diesel option is intriguing. I don’t know if that’s really the way I would want to go, but I will look into it more if I feel like a Colorado might be my next truck.

19. Member
    Just looked up some diesel Colorados. Seems like the price is significantly higher than the 3.5 gas motor.

I think the odds are I would probably stick with the gas motor.

Just looked up some diesel Colorados. Seems like the price is significantly higher than the 3.5 gas motor.

I think the odds are I would probably stick with the gas motor.
    Alot better gas mileage with the diesel. Here....its only 7K
    Screenshot_20200229-002935_Drive.jpg
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast