Thread: Reapers

Reapers

I ran across a couple packs of Reapers that I had stuffed in a box on my tackle shelf. No one fishes them around here, so I may give them a shot this year. I discovered that, while Tackle Warehouse does carry two brands (Iovino and Uptons), they are out of stock on many colors and sizes. They don’t even stock the smaller size in green pumpkin. I searched the web and didn’t find a whole lot more info. Any suggestions on where to find some 3 1/2 inch black/blue and green pumpkin?
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Hey Jeff I ran across an old pack of white ones that have been in my extra box of stuff for years Didn't some one local sell those years ago in fact may have gotten mine in a gift bag or something during a local tournament many moons ago.

3. Member
    You can order from Uptons or Iovino.

I found what I was looking for. Since I never throw anything away, I dug through some boxes in the basement and found the card board tag that was on the Reaper style baits I bought at Dixie Marine about 15 years ago. Turns out they are made by Western Plastics and are called Sweepers. I found them on the web and ordered a couple bags.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Yeah, I also have a small stash of sweepers, likewise a few with the Western Plastics tag still attached. My favorites have always been the darker colors, smoke flake as well as black with a chartreuse tail. I’ve been hoarding these for years, as on some of our more stained inland waters they offer the fish an action they haven’t seen. The ones I have on hand are from at least 30 years ago. One central Ohio lake in particular, I can go down a bank with several other baits, catching nothing, then go right back through with the sweeper and catch 3 or 4 keepers.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

6. Member
    2o years or so I got serious about Bass fishing and for the next few years bought and tried everything,everything. I bought some Iovino’s in 2001 or 2002 with the intention of using them. Jeff’s starting this thread reminded me they are on a peg behind a bag of Mann’s dragin-it and Gambler Beacon Rinds. My question is a simple one,how do you fish them?
    Red Sox in 6!

7. Member
    And When I met Don Iovino in 2003 he talked a bunch about drop shottting coming from Japan.
    Red Sox in 6!

Quote Originally Posted by Phrog Phil View Post
    2o years or so I got serious about Bass fishing and for the next few years bought and tried everything,everything. I bought some Iovino’s in 2001 or 2002 with the intention of using them. Jeff’s starting this thread reminded me they are on a peg behind a bag of Mann’s dragin-it and Gambler Beacon Rinds. My question is a simple one,how do you fish them?
    A lot of people use them on a drop shot or split shot. Some people Carolina rig them and others flip or pitch them. I had never seen them before about 2003 or so. I drew a guy that won the co-angler side of a BLF out of the back of my boat. The only bait he fished all day was a Junebug 4 inch Sweeper. He Texas rigged them and shook his rod like many do when fishing a shakey head. We got along really well, so he practiced with me for a couple other BFL's that year, including on Erie. He fished that same Junebug Sweeper everywhere and caught smallies on them in Erie! The one downside is that these baits will twist the crap out of your line. They dart, dive, and spin...resulting in twist. But, they have a unique action that fish don't often see.

9. Member
    Thanks
    Red Sox in 6!

10. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I always Texas-rigged a sweeper. The only downside to that approach is that you must use a shorter-shank hook, because there isn’t a lot of body to hook into. This past year, I got the bright idea to rig it on an open hook like a Ned rig, which ought to work great, except that I have so few remaining sweeper baits that I hate to sacrifice them when not needed. There are lots of other baits that will work in open water like Erie [where I typically throw Ned rigs], so I save the sweepers for inland lakes in the summertime, when bites are extremely tough.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    I always Texas-rigged a sweeper. The only downside to that approach is that you must use a shorter-shank hook, because there isn’t a lot of body to hook into. This past year, I got the bright idea to rig it on an open hook like a Ned rig, which ought to work great, except that I have so few remaining sweeper baits that I hate to sacrifice them when not needed. There are lots of other baits that will work in open water like Erie [where I typically throw Ned rigs], so I save the sweepers for inland lakes in the summertime, when bites are extremely tough.
    I always rigged them with a regular hook or EWG when Texas rigging them. Since they are made out of a relatively stiff plastic, I don't worry that I may have to hook them part-way down the tail.

12. Member
    Good on a bladed jig when trimmed to a tail shape. (4.5") I also dropshot with them. (3 - 4")
    Wave Therapy

Dry Creek Outfitters https://www.drycreekoutfitters.com/ and Venom https://www.venomlures.com/ both have Reapers of sorts. I've done real well with Venom Super Doo's, too. I have not yet tried them on a DS or Ned rig, but I have no doubt that they'd work as well as anything.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    Dry Creek Outfitters https://www.drycreekoutfitters.com/ and Venom https://www.venomlures.com/ both have Reapers of sorts. I've done real well with Venom Super Doo's, too. I have not yet tried them on a DS or Ned rig, but I have no doubt that they'd work as well as anything.
    Super Do’s were all the rage around here in the 1990’s. Won a bunch of $ on them, but haven’t fished them in many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Super Do’s were all the rage around here in the 1990’s. Won a bunch of $ on them, but haven’t fished them in many years.
    Same here...they were not very easy to get, before online shopping. They'd be killer on a DS rig, but I just don't DS all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    Same here...they were not very easy to get, before online shopping. They'd be killer on a DS rig, but I just don't DS all that much.
    We pitched and flipped them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    We pitched and flipped them.
    I mostly threw them (5") unweighted...they didn't cast very far, but significantly farther than a 4" finesse worm...deadly if it's calm and clear water.

Coincidentally a few days before this thread showed up I found some online and decided to give them a try. Give the fish something different to look at. Rivers around here get fished heavily. I'm curious to see if they'll produce.
    Last edited by white gambler; 03-08-2020 at 10:58 AM.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

19. Member
    Ahhhhhh. The sweeper, I have 100s in my stash for "what if"

20. Member
    K5 Custom baits on FB makes some great reapers and his prices are hard to beat. Been using them for years on a darter head and dropshot.
    Bruce Theriot
    2003 Champion 196 Elite
    200 Mercury Optimax