Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Daughter got lice from school.

For a few days my daughter said her head was itchy, wife and I didn't think anything of it, checked her head and never saw anything. We did this for the past few days until we saw a bug while searching her head before school, it was definitely lice! We had her stay home, I ran and got the special shampoo, cleaned everyone's sheets, coats, pretty much everything that would fit in the washer went in, steamed the beds, couches, chairs, carpet, ect....

We called her teacher to let her know that she had lice and to let the rest of the parents know to prevent spreading of it in the school. The teacher tells us they are NOT allowed to say anything and its our job to notify the parents. We did end up getting out of the teacher that 5 classrooms right now have had lice these month, and its still going around.

For the teachers on this board, why cant the teachers or the school let parents know that lice is going around?? I remember when I in school they let everyone know so they can check their kids hair to prevent it from spreading.

We didn't think much about her itching because in the winter my daughter can get a dry scalp and cause her to itch.

They’ll let you know here in about 30 seconds.

3. Banned
    It happens, on more than one occasion with our kids.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BPenrod View Post
    It happens, on more than one occasion with our kids.
    Same here.

5. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Probably some privacy thing or whatever but just another way the new society or the way of the world is not working....lol
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

I understand that it happens, what I don't understand is why the school can't let the parents know its going around...

7. Banned
    Probably confusing Hipaa in some way. Easy to say that there have been instances of lice, without saying who exactly has lice.

Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    Probably confusing Hipaa in some way. Easy to say that there have been instances of lice, without saying who exactly has lice.
    Exactly.

9. Member
    my granddaughter has come home with them twice. Same drill as above, shampoo, comb, and clean everything

I can remember, back in the day, our principal would make everyone put their head down and he’d do lice checks.

School I teach at will send out letters or emails stating that there has been lice at that particular school. They obviously can't give the child's name, but they will notify them. Last year we had several cases of whooping cough going around that they notified every one of.

11. Member
    We had same situation. The funny part was when we returned to school we had to be checked before we were allowed to come back. I asked what the point is in checking us if they didnt let anyone else know so they could be checked and treated like we have been. She didnt have an answer. My wife made sure other parents were notified since the school wouldnt.

12. Member
    Sounds like they just don't want to bother with it honestly. Very simple to say there is lice going around without naming any names.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo188vs View Post

I can remember, back in the day, our principal would make everyone put their head down and he’d do lice checks.
    Me too. LOL.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Seems like a notification the school nurse should have sent out but I doubt those even exist any longer.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

15. Member
    At my daughter's school they will notify the parents if there is a student that has/had lice, they just will not tell you which student. In talking with someone that does professional lice hair treatments, she said that the shampoo's you can buy yourself are not very effective, but to rather just by a nit free terminator lice come and use it daily. Worked great for us when my daughter brought eventually brought them home from school.

16. Member
    It’s going around at my wife’s school too. Lice prefers people who are very clean and shower/bath daily. Her school can’t tell parents what kids have it, but they do send a note/email to parents letting them know there’s been a case of it in school.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

17. Member
    It happens but we've always got a call from the school or an email.

18. Member
    Our daughters had them a few years ago, it was a royal bitch to get rid of them. Call your family doctor, and have them write a prescription for the prescription strength shampoo. That was the only way we were able to get rid of them. Also the school would send a generic letter home stating "a child in your child's class had lice"

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bwell View Post
    Exactly.
    It's not a health issue it's an infestation. They can inform you.
    Please release me,let me go.

20. Member
    Boy how times change, we had more cases of the crabs in high school than lice!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast