XXL to XL conversion questions

Hi Mercury owner/mechanics.
    I just bought a clean 2003 optimax 225 XXL. Since I need a 25” on my boat we took off the 30” space and he gave me a 25” lower. He said it’s an easy fix to swap out the need parts but I’m second guessing that now. Please let me know if I’m correct;

1. Swap out the shift shaft in the upper.
    2. Swap out or maybe cut the water tube.
    3. Cut and rethread 4 shafts or buy 4 new shafts pull them out and replace them (I think I’d rather replace).
    4. Maybe something with the exhaust?

Do I have to remove the powerhead to replace the shift shaft and/or the water tube?
    Is this a big job? Seem people always offer a 25” when selling a 30 but maybe it’s a bigger job then I expected. Hoping to hear there’s a way around taking off the powerhead.

Thank you!

2. Member
    Serial number OT775102

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You will need to remove the Powerhead AND the Adapter Plate to change the water tube (and the shift shaft).

Replace the studs in the driveshaft housing with the correct length studs (normally 8M0008031, 4 Required).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thank you, any thoughts on the correct cost or maybe amount of labor hours for a mechanic to do it?

5. Member
    Thank you EuropeanAM I actually bought the incorrect studs. I ended up buying 8M0070951
    just checked and you’re right. I should have 31s
    thanks.