Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    If you think getting healthcare is frustrating, you should try providing it.
    Last edited by 188Musky; 02-27-2020 at 08:03 PM. Reason: missing word

Quote Originally Posted by mastergun View Post
    I'm with you. What irritates me even more is the medical communities general attitude of self-importance. I don't expect to wait 30-45 minutes AFTER my appointment time to be seen. My time is equally important as theirs, don't waste my time. If you can't handle the workload in a timely fashion, reduce the number of appointments you schedule. I won't hesitate to let them know when they waste my time. I think they sometimes forget that medicine is a service business.
    My tournament partner had an appointment with a cardiologist for a stress test. He arrived 15 minutes early and he still had not been called back 45 minutes after his appointment time. He ask the receptionist if the 45 minute wait was part of the stress test, as it had him stressed out! A few minutes later he was called back and said that the lady administering the test was kind of snippy!

Quote Originally Posted by TRCM View Post
    I've had doctors offices that have signs posted that state if you haven't checked in by your appointment time, your appointment will be cancelled and you will be charged 50 bucks.

I asked where my 50 bucks was when the doc hadn't seen yet and it was 30 min after my appointment time......they looked at me like I was crazy.

I said if you're gonna charge me when I am late, then I should have the right to charge the doc when he is.....and just like with if I am late, the reason doesn't matter.
    A number of years ago an attorney sued his Doc after waiting more than 2 hours in the waiting room. He sued for two hour's worth of his time, at the rate he billed clients. The court ruled that the Doc had to pay up.

General practice Docs have been scheduling several patients for the same appointment times for many, many years. Make them wait in the waiting room and then take them back and make them wait in the exam room. The problem is that, ever since the development of PPO's, HMO's, and the rest, Docs are now paid far less per visit by insurance companies than previously. Their student loan payments and malpractice insurance premiums are ridiculously high, add in workman's comp, and other benefits for their staff, plus trying to earn enough to maintain the standard of living their years of education justifies. Our family Doc instituted a policy that you can only discuss two medical issues with her per appointment. If additional medical issues are of concern, you must make an additional appointment. And, of course, that appointment must be a different day than the current appointment, or your insurance won't cover it. That allows her to collect an additional co-pay, but it also means making time in your schedule and driving to her office an additional time. I don't like this policy, but I completely understand the reasoning behind it.

A buddy of mine's wife is a Family Doc. When she got out of med school, she spent as much time as necessary with each patient, often over an hour. She was extremely dedicated to her patients. And, by using this policy, she could barely break even at the end of the month and she got her rent free and her staff free, as her practice was in my buddy's chiropractic office.

I don't envy Docs one bit.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    If you think getting healthcare is frustrating, you should try providing it.
    X2.
    It ain’t easy talking about your out of control blood sugar, the new mole on your back, why you can’t get hard, and why you have a cough with a pack of cigarettes in your front pocket in just 15 minutes.

4. Member
    Part of your appointment is securing the necessary documentation. Insurance companies say hell no, we won't pay for that. Hence the little guy has to pick up the burden. Surely you realize the top of the food chain heirarchy = Insurance companies- doctors- and you know who the bottom is - you. Follow the money.
    GETFISHED !!!

The irony of this thread is the fact that an attorney is complaining about the inconveniences of healthcare, when all the inconveniences were forced into the industry by attorneys.

6. Member
    That's a stretch with a broad brush.
    GETFISHED !!!

When you walk out of a scheduled Dr. appointment who do you think it hurts , grow up .

8. dartag1829
    Just went on Medicare. Figure I will be adding the hour to my next appointment for paperwork.

9. Member
    I don't complain if they are running late. The day will come when I will need an extra few minutes, and i expect a little more time.

10. Member
    If you think it’s bad now, just wait until the government is in charge of it all. I’ve waited months on appointment dates, only to wait hours before actually seeing a doc at VA facilities.

I have walked out of one appointment that just took too long as I had other appointments to meet. When I rescheduled the nice receptionist wanted my copay. I said I needed to talk to the Doc first. He apologized, we worked it out. Now, I always make the first appointment of the day so there is not a backlog. I am out in about 20mins usually.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

12. Member
    I’m a 3x cancer patient and survivor. I’ve “taken” more than my allotted time with the doctor many, many, many times. I always remember that when I’m in to see the doctor for something simple and I have to wait. Perspective.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by donpilot View Post
    I don't complain if they are running late. The day will come when I will need an extra few minutes, and i expect a little more time.
    same here and my doc don’t rush me and don’t want others rushed

14. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    Get there 15 minutes early to register and tell them you will have to fill the forms when you are waiting for doctor in the exam room for 15 minutes after they weigh you and take your blood pressure.

15. Member
    I always been curious how insurance companies can practice medicine without a license ? Which is basically what they're doing when they overrule your doctors prescribed meds.

Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    The folks at the VA are great!
    roger that My wife's dr. had her sitting alone in a room for over an hour waiting after they called her from the waiting area.I spoke to the dr. and his simple remedy was to schedule future appointments for 1 pm after lunch.I guess there's no emergency's at that time

17. Member
    Medicare also requires the dr to ask if you are suicidal.

I took a day off work last week for a 10:30 appointment. The Drs. office called at 10:00 and cancelled the appointment because the doc wasn't available.

19. Banned
    If you old fart's would have taken care of yourselves when you were younger you would need to be going to the doctor's office every 2 weeks... Dan

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pa.X19 View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm that old yet at 53 but I guess I'm lucky so far. My Dad's 80 and he told me 20yrs ago, Once they get their hooks in ya, look out!
    My dad was the first sergeant of the Malcom Grow hospital on Joint Base Andrews for 15 years.
    He always said, "stay away from doctors, they'll kill you".
    I'm only 77, I stay as far away as I can.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast