Coosa River and Large Tournaments

Seems like for a while there BASS was making frequent trips to the Coosa River. It was always fun watching the pros fight current and catch those big spots. I'm wondering why aren't any top tier series or open trails going there recently? Is it the chamber of commerce not wanting to fork out money to host or are their other factors such as environmental, regulations, etc. with the fishery that have them looking elsewhere? My money is on not getting host city money but curious if anyone had any other thoughts.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

2. Member
    I always liked seeing the big spots caught & weighed in myself.

3. Member
    For the most part none of the lakes have launch facilities to support these events. Sure we have large tournaments through out the year, but none on the scale of these multiday events. Once you get to Lay Lake and beyond the facilities are just not there.
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link
    Helix 12 Mega SI & Garmin Livescope w/ 1242XSV GPSmap

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G4bama View Post
    For the most part none of the lakes have launch facilities to support these events. Sure we have large tournaments through out the year, but none on the scale of these multiday events. Once you get to Lay Lake and beyond the facilities are just not there.
    Where did the Elites launch from in 2013? I would think that could handle any tournament if it could handle an elite event.

5. Member
    The last classic on Lay Lake launched out of Beeswax. After that going south the facilities are just not there.
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dstep0 View Post
    Where did the Elites launch from in 2013? I would think that could handle any tournament if it could handle an elite event.
    Not on any of the Coosa River lakes. They fished different bodies of water
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link

7. Member
    Looks like it was on the Alabama River out of Montgomery and a bunch of the field went up the Coosa.

I guess I should rephrase my question to the Alabama River.

8. Member
    Weiss, Neely Henry, Logan Martin and Lay Lake all have facilities that could host a major tour level event. However the best Coosa Rive lakes for GIANT spots are Mitchell and Jordan. The problem with those two lakes is that they are really too small to host a full field tour level event. With that said, I am betting you see BPT event using those two lakes sometime in the near future. Those two lakes would make for a PERFECT BPT event. However, I'm guessing the local towns (Calera, Clanton or Wetumpka) would have a hard time coming up with the kind of money Mr. Duckett would want to bring a BPT event to town. If you let those guys lose on the Mitchell or Jordan in the early spring you would easily see a ton of 4-6+ lb spots being caught. I saw two bags of spots, in a recent Federation high school tournament, over 20lbs weighed in on Jordan.

If I remember, that tournament had some high water and the anglers were able to run to places not usually reached in bassboats.

10. Banned
    They had one one Jordan if I remember correctly.

Jordan is one of my favorite lakes that I havent been to in years.

11. Banned
    Always were some of my favorite tournaments to watch. Would love to fish that area sometime in my life.

12. Member
    They have been on Jordan several times, but that was not a full size Elite event.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ski Tar View Post
    Weiss, Neely Henry, Logan Martin and Lay Lake all have facilities that could host a major tour level event. However the best Coosa Rive lakes for GIANT spots are Mitchell and Jordan. The problem with those two lakes is that they are really too small to host a full field tour level event. With that said, I am betting you see BPT event using those two lakes sometime in the near future. Those two lakes would make for a PERFECT BPT event. However, I'm guessing the local towns (Calera, Clanton or Wetumpka) would have a hard time coming up with the kind of money Mr. Duckett would want to bring a BPT event to town. If you let those guys lose on the Mitchell or Jordan in the early spring you would easily see a ton of 4-6+ lb spots being caught. I saw two bags of spots, in a recent Federation high school tournament, over 20lbs weighed in on Jordan.
    Duckett will surely cut them the friends and family discount, being a local and all.

14. Dogfish_Jones
    Lincoln going to build a state of the art fishing facility soon on Logan Martin. It hopes to bring some of the bigger tournaments back to the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    I always liked seeing the big spots caught & weighed in myself.
    I've always liked catching big Spots without anyone seeing me catch them.
    Last edited by OBT; 02-29-2020 at 06:41 AM.
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

16. Member
    Elites have fished full field events on the Alabama River out of Prattville.. Cooter's Pond has been the launch location in the past..