Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gel Coat Issues/Repair

Haven't gotten any responses in the Boat Restoration section on this so figured I'd post here as well.

Has anyone else had this issue and were you able to fix it without taking to a repair shop?

Looks like gel coat crazing or crows foot. Only had a few small spots that looked like this last year, but now the entire top cap looks like this.

Started wet sanding the other week and went back over a few spots with compound and wax and still have a bunch more to do, but it doesn't seem to have an affect on the cracks.

At this point I'm wondering how many thousands of dollars this might cost to have a repair shop fix.IMG_5417 front.jpgIMG_5418 rear.jpgIMG_5419 corner.jpg

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

3. Member
    I have not seen the top cap of a BCB look like that before.. Not to say that it doesn't happen. Looks like the sun got to it, crazing. Do you run in allot of rough water. You are right flake work is $$$$. Following

4. Member
    It almost looks like crazing. Its most seen on plexiglass. The sun UV causes it.
    Not sure if sanding will correct this, unless its only the top layer of gel coat?
    BCB may have more input. I have seen older boats get like this and the only way to fix it was applying a clearcoat.
    You can PM Doug, He specializes in Bass boat restoration and repair. D&T Boat works.
    He doesnt seem to be on here lately.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/member.php?u=18483

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

5. Member
    Hopefully crank68 will see your post here and respond. If not, send him a PM. He does repairs like that for a living, is very good at it, and, will likely be able to advise you as to cause and resolution.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

6. Member
    If you leave it out side all the time that’s what happens I don’t care what brand it is . Don’t spend the money to get it fixed if you don’t have a roof to put over it when not in use .

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skennedy View Post
    If you leave it out side all the time that’s what happens I don’t care what brand it is . Don’t spend the money to get it fixed if you don’t have a roof to put over it when not in use .
    It has spent the majority of its life outside under the boat cover. Spent 1 year in a garage. I have a buddy with a 2007 puma that has a black cap and has spent its entire life under a boat cover as well and the gel coat on his still looks new.

It’s definitely not stress cracks or from rough water.

UV damage... Strictly sunshine on it's shoulder.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    UV damage... Strictly sunshine on it's shoulder.
    It's a shame these boats can't handle being outside in the sun if that's truly the case

10. Member
    IMG_5461.JPGIMG_5462.JPG

My buddy sent me pics of his 2007 puma. Said it's spent its entire life outside under a boat cover as well, yet his gelcoat doesn't have any cracking in it.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    Hopefully crank68 will see your post here and respond. If not, send him a PM. He does repairs like that for a living, is very good at it, and, will likely be able to advise you as to cause and resolution.
    I'm calling him after I get off work.

12. Member
    I don't know of any glass boat that can withstand UV and the elements and not show it. Something as simple as sunlight coming in through a window in your garage can discolor the finish. If you want your boat to look new as possible, I hate to say, it's got to have a house to sit in out of the elements. My 07 has a little bit of sun exposure on the rear end from where it was sitting in a boat house for only a couple seasons before I bought it. The Merc decals were deteriorating as well. The sun is a mean animal. I would go as far to say that looking at that black boat, the owner more than stays on top of it. They may even add another level of covering to prevent UV damage. A typical boat cover just won't cut it.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat29 View Post
    I don't know of any glass boat that can withstand UV and the elements and not show it. Something as simple as sunlight coming in through a window in your garage can discolor the finish. If you want your boat to look new as possible, I hate to say, it's got to have a house to sit in out of the elements. My 07 has a little bit of sun exposure on the rear end from where it was sitting in a boat house for only a couple seasons before I bought it. The Merc decals were deteriorating as well. The sun is a mean animal.
    Based on the condition of my buddy's cap I thought he stored it under a carport or something, but he swore it's always just been stored under the boat cover.

Agreed, the sun does have an affect on boats, but I haven't seen other boats that were affected the same as mine that were the same age. First bass boat I ever had from a different manufacturer was 9 years old when I sold it, had never been stored under carport or garage, just boat cover, and had simple oxidation that was fixed from wet sanding.

I spent a decent chunk of money a year ago having the bottom of my boat redone. The gel coat on the boot had been blistering and popping off leaving sections of fiberglass exposed. Wasn't caused from any impacts according to the repair shop. There were scratches though from dragging the boat in shallow water but they weren't bad.
    Last edited by crwood; 02-27-2020 at 03:20 PM.

Original ownership?

15. Member
    I believe your buddy definitely kept his upper cap protected with wax. His fenders show signs that they are not covered.
    Its all about protecting it. I wax my boat a minimum of 2-3 times a year. It sits under a carport and I'm gone half the year. So it doesn't see the sun as often as other rigs, but protection is a must.

Even my fishing rods have faded from the sitting on the deck while fishing. The sun is a mean woman!!

If you look close, there is minor sun damage but still in great shape for an older rig.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crwood View Post
    It's a shame these boats can't handle being outside in the sun if that's truly the case
    doesn't matter what brand of boat the sun doesn’t care. And if you sit there throughout the day does the sun touch the boat where you’re having issues? I’ve seen where boats get spotted damage because sun still got through (in morning or afternoon) if Roy get it fixed I’d get you a cheaper cover and put it on then under your cover

From what I’ve seen this happens more often with darker colored boats stored outside under a cover. Extreme heat built up under the cover over and over “appears” to be worse than the sun from normal usage. I’m not sayin it will or does happen to every boat stored this way. I do see it way more in older boats of course but if they are newer with this issue, they are stored outside under a cover. I do a lot of blend work and such with a local very well known glass shop (46) years. This is also there findings over the years. I’ve not seen where one brand is better or worse for this.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

Quote Originally Posted by BASStex1988 View Post
    doesn't matter what brand of boat the sun doesn’t care. And if you sit there throughout the day does the sun touch the boat where you’re having issues? I’ve seen where boats get spotted damage because sun still got through (in morning or afternoon) if Roy get it fixed I’d get you a cheaper cover and put it on then under your cover
    No different than paint on a car! Gotta keep some kind of protection from UV rays on there. Wax, sealant, etc...? My buddy has a 2002 P3, the right side of his car port gets hit with the morning sun, his fender and right corner of the boat look like someone rubbed it down with scotch bright pads.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Original ownership?
    Yes. Boat was built and picked up 3rd quarter of 2011.

20. Member
    Interesting perspective from crank68 on the problem being extreme heat and not sun related
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast