AGM Trolling Battery suggestions.....? for the experts

Hey guys,

I've have always run AGM starting batteries (Sears PM1/Odyssey 2150), but only ever used regular lead batteries for the TM (36V).

I'm starting to fish more trolling motor only lakes, and need a little bit more capacity, so was wondering what AGM batteries you guys suggest for the trolling motor, looking for max capacity/RC.

Thanks!!!

RL

2. Member
    I have used Cabela's group 27 AGMS for the last three years. No issues with power after all day tournaments.

I've been running the Duracells 27 agm from Sam's Club for a year now with no issues.... I'm on the TM a ton on the Big O covering water.

4. Member
    31 Series Odyssesy would be my first choice if Lithium is not an option.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by blade1970 View Post
    I've been running the Duracells 27 agm from Sam's Club for a year now with no issues.... I'm on the TM a ton on the Big O covering water.
    Me too. Best bang for the buck, in my opinion. They're rebranded Deka's.

North Stars', they are the most powerful and have the most reserve (they make/ made the Sears PM1, the Xtreme 2, the Cabelas, pretty sure the Trojan), but they are also the heaviest, like over 80# each and retail for about $400 direct ship from NorthStar. The Lithium batteries are beginning to look more reasonable now that more companies are offering them. They are the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Garfish View Post
    North Stars', they are the most powerful and have the most reserve (they make/ made the Sears PM1, the Xtreme 2, the Cabelas, pretty sure the Trojan), but they are also the heaviest, like over 80# each and retail for about $400 direct ship from NorthStar. The Lithium batteries are beginning to look more reasonable now that more companies are offering them. They are the real deal.
    which model North Stars are you using for the TM?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboat View Post
    Are you talking about the same battery I'm using for my cranking (Odyssey 2150, aka old Sears PM1), or is there a different model/size for the trolling motor batteries?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboat View Post
    This

10. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    When I was going through this process last summer, I decided to spend a bit more and go lithium for my TM batteries. IMHO, lithiums are now very price competitive with the top quality Group 31 AGMs.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by blade1970 View Post
    THIS
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

12. Member
    Duracells from Sam's Club for five years and still running strong. Don't over pay for a name.

First thing is first: Always go with the biggest size you can, so no group 27s if you're trying to maximize capacity. Group 29/31 will have more capacity (and group 29 = 31, so don't let the numbers fool you).

Group 31 Duracells from Sam's will be the best bang for the buck at $180; they're Deka Intimidators with different stickers. If you want the absolute best, group 31 in North Star, Odyssey, or X2 Power (Batteries Plus) will be the best of the best. Usually the X2 will be cheapest with buy online pick up in store discounts, but not always. They're all very close in capacity, almost identical to the PM-1 if not actually identical, and are the best of the best in traditional chemistry. You also pay for them. If you're spending that much for trolling motor batteries, you can damn near go lithium...out of stock now but restocking within a couple weeks: https://ampedoutdoors.com/collections/lifepo4-battery
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

14. Member
    Just got 2 Duracell agm’s from Sam’s last night. They were on sale 160 each plus tax plus core charge if you don’t exchange.

15. Member
    AGM's are just like lead acid without any maintenance, the more they weigh the more capacity they will have with everything else being equal. I would be surprised if Trojan AGM's are made by anybody else, but with the way the market is today it is possible. Trojan keeps pretty tight control over their battery manufacturing. Out of a bunch that I have sold I have had only 1 return about 2 days ago and have yet to figure out why it has a bad cell. I try to stick with Deka, trojan and US battery in that order for flooded batteries. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lund View Post
    which model North Stars are you using for the TM?
    Grp 31

17. Member
    Who makes the AC Delco Voyager marine batteries. They used to be made in the Middle East but not sure where now.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ththomp2 View Post
    Just got 2 Duracell agm’s from Sam’s last night. They were on sale 160 each plus tax plus core charge if you don’t exchange.
    Thanks for posting this! I need a few.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ththomp2 View Post
    I'm picking one up tomorrow for a cranking battery. Put 2 group 31's in almost 3 years ago for my trolling motor and they have been great.

Belated thanks for all the inputs guys, super appreciated!

Going to roll with group 31 AGMs for now, but am keeping my eye on lithiums in the future