Thread: Sciatica Nerve

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Also, if you ever vacation in the Caribbean, go to a pharmacy. Most of f the countries down there allow you to buy prednisone over the counter. I bought enough for a tapering dose for a little more than a dollar a pill while on vacation (Belize). That stuff isn't the answer, but it does get you pain free and back on your feet in a couple days, as opposed to a couple weeks. As I said though, pain will return without finding the cause- mine turned out to be (largely) our mattress.

TENS unit for immediate relief of the pain.

Aside from stretching hamstrings, there is a stretch my father-in-law showed me that seems to help tremendously. Basically you want to be sitting with your knees at a 90 degree angle. Lift one leg and "rotate" its 90 degree angle (as close as you can get) toward the other leg so the outside of the ankle on the side you're stretching is resting on the knee of the opposite leg, similar to sitting "Indian style" with just one leg. It helps to be able to lean back a bit while you're getting into position. Push down on the knee of the leg that's resting on the other to stretch that muscle on the outside of your hip and right on your tailbone, exactly where the sciatic pain originates. After it loosens a bit, you can get more stretch by leaning forward as you push down. Do both sides to make sure you're not getting yourself out of balance, but I've found that doing this three times for 10-15 seconds or so several times throughout the day really loosens up those muscles and takes pressure off of the sciatic nerve.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    Sometimes stretching will work. I find that a good deep tissue message will help relax my lower back muscles and helps a LOT. Now I've found out exactly where I need to push to release the knot in the muscle so I just lean on something that presses that spot until I can get it to relax. I've had a sciatica issue for a while now. After different things I've found that in my case the muscles tighten and it causes the pressure on my L5 and the pain starts. So I can somewhat manage my issue with the muscles along with the chiropractor visits. I'm bound to have surgery eventually though. I cant really recommend this but one thing that really helped me was a steroid shot and pain shot from my regular doc. It helped everything relax to where I could work stuff out. The muscles were so tight without that shot I dont think I could have done it. One thing I do recommend is getting a MRI that way you know the problem. If it's just a bulge you can definitely work on it with stretches and stuff and get it better. If the disc is degenerated you may be able to manage it in a different manner for a while. Knowing the issue is a big thing though

4. Indiana Bass Club Moderator sc419795's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    The quickest way to figure out spasms versus impingement is if the pain is radiating to other extremities like going down the back of your leg. If its muscle related (spasms) there is not, a nerve impingement issue with radiate.
    The pain starts in lower back, moves to hip, then gets into my calf. Been stretching as much as possible. Heating pad. Ice. And now prednisone,
    Last edited by sc419795; 02-27-2020 at 10:48 AM.
    Steve
    2006 Sylvan Expedition Sport
    2006 Yamaha F150 TXR s/n 63P L 1041829

A new mattress really helped mine. Buy good shoes and when they start to wear out throw them away. Merrell shoes are great.
    Last edited by Grumpy; 02-27-2020 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Ranger R70 Mercury 115

6. HYDRA SPORT LS205 225HO JER-1 BIG BASS's Avatar
    Prednisone is great, will reduce inflammation almost immediately, I keep a scrip bottle in my frig from doc, and only take them if back gets really serious.
    only downside to shit you can’t take them all the time, safely probably only take couple times a year, maybe 3.
    Can affect to much other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bassworm1 View Post
    Stretching and don't carry a wallet in your back pocket
    THIS

8. Member
    Lay flat on your back, pull your knee straight toward your shoulder, then pull it across toward the other shoulder. Physical therapist showed me this and it works.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

One of my uncles had severe sciatic pain, off and on, but the worst was the first few days of tobacco cutting season. His chiropractor gave him immediate but temporary relief, also he made him quit carrying his wallet in a back pocket which helped him immensely. My wife has horrible pain, we're probably going to have to buy a tens unit soon. Every time the weather changes she has a miserable 2-3 days.

(606)305-1956

10. Member
    Been dealing with it every day for 18 months -it has gradually gotten better but still present-I stopped PT after three months and haven’t stretched once -good days and bad days!

11. Banned
    I had an old Baker climbing stand break and drop me 25 feet to the ground when I was 19. I landed standing up with the foot straps still on my boots. Compressions fractures on L-3, 4 and 5 with damage to the discs. 10 years later it started hurting again and has gotton progressively worse. I am doing all I can to avoid surgery again. Prednisone is your friend and alternating hot and cold will help the process. Good luck man, I know how bad it sucks.

12. Member
    see a dr you more than likely have a bulging disc , there are spinal injections that can help and in some cases relieve it permantly , and it may need a MRI, and get the disc fixed with a simple surgery,
    1996 Javelin 409T DC /225 Johnson Venom

13. Member
    Inversion table.....only thing that helps me. This is after 2 basically failed back surgeries!

14. Member
    Dealt with it for 9 months, ruptured disc. Inversion table made it worse, chiropractor made it worse, got epidural injection been about 85-90 percent for 2 months. Was about to have the surgery and still may have to. Take it easy, worst pain i have ever been in, i hope it gets better because i know its miserable

Quote Originally Posted by sc419795 View Post
    Lord have mercy!!!!!!!!

Been dealing with a sciata nerve now for a week. Once I get moving it tends to work itself out. But if I sit for any period or when I get out of bed in the morning I swear I am about ready to drop to my knees. Finally went to the doctor yesterday and they prescribed prednisone. On my second day of it - once it kicks in it seems to take the edge off.

Anyone have home exercise or stretching suggestions? I did look on youtube and have been doing a few that I found. Hopefully I shake this quickly.
    I have bulging discs and discs that are gone. I go to the gym almost every day and one of the things I do is ab exercises, and lower back exercises to build up my core to support my upper body. I also just had the nerves on the left side of my back caurterized. So far all of this has helped.

16. Member
    I had it many years ago. Walking was my cure. It hurt like heck to walk around the block, but once I started doing that a couple of times a day, the pain was less and didn't come back.

Until, I let my big tummy get out of shape again.

Of course, if you have serious disc issues or other major physical breakdowns, then simply walking isn't going to cure that. However, I haven't had the pain in 15 years or so. Everytime I get a "twinge" back there, I walk a bunch, and I am 80. And I hate walking.

Good luck. I know your pain.

I have been through three major bouts of sciatic and did physical therapy, pain meds and various rubs. Had a MRI the last time after five weeks with no relief. I'm talking major pain, I could hardly walk. It showed a bulge between the S4 & S5 and I was told that a operation could fix it or I could try a nerve block.(Never heard of any good back surgery outcomes) The nerve block is a injection into the sciatic nerve. The doctor lays you on your stomach and puts a X-ray machine over the area and then guides a needle to the nerve. Sounds terrible but they spray the injection site with something to numb the area. It was like a miracle. All pain was gone. I was told it could last a week or up to a year, so far it's been four months and still no pain. The good thing is they can do it again if and when needed.
    Bill

sciatica sucks. I've dealt with it and like you, after moving it works itself out to a "tolerable" level of pain, but after sitting for any amount of time, it's just plain crippling. My best advice is to get a GOOD chiropractor. I did 20+ sessions with one chiropractor and he only made it worse. A friend who went through sciatica recommended a different one. She had me 100% fixed in two sessions after being crippled for 8 months.
    2015 Ranger z119c, 225 Mercury ProXS

19. Member
    inversion table-also look up 'piriformis syndrome' and piriformis stretches--I dont know if I agree completely with hamstring stretching as mush as others as that could potenitally entrap the sciatic nerve against the back of the hip (trochanter) into the buttocks-
    I mainly would concentrate on the hip flexors (whcih can cause lordosis-which can cause sciatica) and the piriformis muscle--also stretch warm muscles not cold ones--
    many times sciatica stems from a muscular imbalance of the hip-lower back--15 years as an athletic trainer and sciatica survivor--PM me if ya need to and good luck

20. TJNYSNP
    i would advise not getting cortisone shots. will numb the area and u'll be dancing around not taking care of it and it will get worse and worse

excercise, stretch... good advice from others

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast