Question for plumbers

The hose bibb on the well casing burst while I was away and dumped untold thousands of gallons of water in the back yard. That's no big deal but today when I replaced it, I was surprised that there's nothing special about the set-up so I just replaced it with the same. It's about 1' off the ground and it's just black water line with a PVC 90 to the bibb. No anti-siphon or expansion capabilities that I can see. So why doesn't it freeze and burst every winter? That one was at least 6 years old and it's been exposed to temps at least -25

IMG_20200226_080131903.jpg

IMG_20200226_161231993.jpg

2. Member
    Plastic may have just enough give to absorb the expansion. Maybe six years worth.

3. Member
    ^^^^^ What he said

4. Member
    Polyethylene (Black pipe) will expand alot like PEX (cross linked polyethylene) will.

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    You were away. Nobody using water would be my guess.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    Heat trace and insulate that thing bro!

Is there a way to isolate that water line from the rest of the house? If so, I would turn that water line off in the winter and blow the water out of the line with a compressor.

I don't completely understand what you have going on in this picture. Is that a hose bibb that is out in the middle of your yard somewhere?
    Gambler 2200/250 Pro XS

8. Member
    It froze one too many times.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambler Bob View Post
    Is there a way to isolate that water line from the rest of the house? If so, I would turn that water line off in the winter and blow the water out of the line with a compressor.

I don't completely understand what you have going on in this picture. Is that a hose bibb that is out in the middle of your yard somewhere?
    Yes, the first pic is of the well casing out in the yard. The line comes straight off the pump. Doesn't circulate with the rest of the system so there's no flow unless we hook the garden hose to it.

You got lucky for six years, just like Tom Brady.

11. Member
    What's all that white stuff? That line should be drained or inside.

12. Member
    Thats the first time I have seen a hose bib come right off the well. Insulate that thing.

13. Member
    I think you need to build a well house and install a well house heater.
    Mike
    2019 Phoenix 721 pro xp

Mercury 250 pro xs
    2B575862

14. Member
    If you have electric build a well house and leave a light withincondecent bulb on all winter in there. It won't freeze again
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Yes, the first pic is of the well casing out in the yard. The line comes straight off the pump. Doesn't circulate with the rest of the system so there's no flow unless we hook the garden hose to it.
    Gotcha. Since isolating the line would be rather difficult in your case, this would be my suggestion. Google what a "Yard Hydrant" is. I occasionally see them on farm properties. A yard hydrant should take care of the issue with freezing.
    Gambler 2200/250 Pro XS

16. Member
    Yard hydrants are on almost all newer houses around here, so are freeze proof spigots. Plumb it underground about 2 ft., run it at unregulated pressure off a tee. Have 2 at our house and over a dozen at our farm, follow install instructions.

17. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    you're too far north for southern engineering..........

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

18. Member
    UPDATE: I got the fittings and bibb all replaced as it was before and everything was back to normal....for all of 24 hours. Then the pump quit apparently due to damage sustained in the effort to put the entire yard under 10' of water. Pulled the 225' of line and submersible out using the Kubota and installed a shut-off on the supply line to the hose bibb while the system was down. Unfortunately the plumber didn't have the right parts to also put in a drain at the same spot but we can do that later.

If we were planning to stay here long term, I'd replace the hose bibb with a yard hydrant this summer but that's a lot of digging for not much return on investment