BLACK GUM ON HUB

I have a 2007 Mercury Optimax 200 HP IB471947 and have noticed black gummy material on outer hub. I can peeled it with up my pocket knife. It is soft, black and gummy. Anybody have any ideas?

2. Member
    Might be soot or carbon. What oil,fuel and fuel treatments are you using?

3. Member
    Optimax oil, quickleen fuel additive fairly regular.

4. Banned
    Use Quickleen every time you put fuel in the tank... And be sure you get the RPM's up. I try to run WOT for at least 5 minutes every trip out, which is usually when I'm heading in at the end of the day. It helps burn off the excess carbon build up caused by idling or slow speed cruising... Dan

Mine is the same way. I've only used DFI oil and I've run quickleen in every tank of fuel since it was new. My thought is that carbon in the prop hub is carbon that's not in the motor, and that's a good thing.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There are numerous potential causes.

-Make sure you're running DFI oil

-Make sure you're using 1oz Quickare + 1oz Quickleen PER 5 GALLONS OF 87 OCTANE FUEL.

-Make sure that BOTH banks are coming up to at least 120 degrees at idle. If either is COLD, engine will be RICH.

-Idle long enough to reach operating temp, avoid excessive idling beyond that.

-Make sure you do a nice run in the 3800-4800 RPM range during each outing. Your engine get's it's best ECONOMY in this range, and that's where it also runs the CLEANEST.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor