Thread: Prop Shop

Prop Shop

Is there a good prop shop in MN or do you send them to Mark Croxton?

2. Member
    Send to mark Croxton for bass boats. Otherwise Brainerd Props is pretty good to deal with, knows walleye boat stuff real well.

Ronnie Gilbert is another excellent option if you're not opposed to mailing it.

Ronnie Gilbert
    Mobile (337) 380-1437
    501 S. Bernard
    Broussard LA 70518
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

I've had amazing luck with Prop MD in Plymouth.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I've had amazing luck with Prop MD in Plymouth.
    Care to expand on that a little?

6. Member
    Might want to check with your local dealer, I’ve sent mine in through Al’s Marine in Rochester. They have a company that comes in every Tuesday and pick up/drop off. Had a prop touched up through them and one cupped, very good results.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

7. Member
    Prop MD in Plymouth does comparable work to Croxton. Croxton used to get all my work, I've used Prop MD four or five times now with excellent results.

Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    Care to expand on that a little?
    Basically just what snodogg said. I brought it in to have it cleaned up, check pitch, and to either correct the pitch or add some cup if it was not under pitched (the prop is a 25p but was running too high RPMs for what I thought it should for a 25p...turns out it was closer to 24.5). They asked me about my boat, how it was currently running, and what my goals were. It was extremely reasonable, they did exactly what I wanted, the work was high quality, and the best part: the fellow who worked on my prop shook my hand and thanked me for the business when I left.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Basically just what snodogg said. I brought it in to have it cleaned up, check pitch, and to either correct the pitch or add some cup if it was not under pitched (the prop is a 25p but was running too high RPMs for what I thought it should for a 25p...turns out it was closer to 24.5). They asked me about my boat, how it was currently running, and what my goals were. It was extremely reasonable, they did exactly what I wanted, the work was high quality, and the best part: the fellow who worked on my prop shook my hand and thanked me for the business when I left.
    Excellent feedback. Thanks Drew

Jealous, where is Plymouth? Haha
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Jealous, where is Plymouth? Haha
    West side of the cities.

12. Member
    I would disagree on prop MD, I have had them fix a couple of props now. They look great when I get them back. They do not lift as much as they did before and they do not perform as well. When I asked them they said we can do custom work for x dollars. Catch is both were new purchased mercury tempest props. They are not back to mercury standard. They are pretty and they do work but they are not the same.

So prop MD can certainly repair your prop no problem. But in my exp they are not going to get you back to the OEM performance from that prop. I would send the prop to Mark. Mark is known to do performance prop work for Bass Boat guys and understands what we need and want out of our props.
    2019 z18 175 ProXs 4 stroke, DC, 10 Ft Power Pole Blades, Relion lithium batteries, Ghost trolling motor, Lowrance Live's, SS structure, Airmar TM150, Vessel View Link, PowerPole Charge.

13. Member
    Nobody suggested Formula Propeller in Rogers

Ranger z520 // Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12ft BT Talons/112 Ultrex/Hbird 360

14. Member
    I wasn't impressed with Prop MD when talking with them. Told them what I had done with another company in Texas, and all they did was give me slack about being "one of those bassboat guys trying to get maximum speed". I didn't give him my business.

Another time when I was in a time crunch, the marine I was working with said they would send my prop into Formula and get everything handled for me. I needed the entire repair done as soon as possible and since they were local, I let them. Prop looked great, but didn't ever perform to what it had in the past.

I will continue sending mine out to Steve's in Lake Fork, TX where I've had my best success or Croxton where I've had close to the same.

15. Member
    Bending props to customer or factory specs isn't an easy task. The average local "prop shop" simply can't. They can weld/repair, polish, and maybe true the pitch if they've invested in the right blocks...but that's about it. I send mine to Mark as well, used to send to a guy in Burlington, Wi...he did pretty good work, too.