Bunk Replacement

I tried looking through old threads but I need to replace a broken bunk board on my trailer.

What exactly do I need to get prior to taking the old one off?

Board> what type/size

seems like I need carpet and staples also?

and new bolts?

WELL, if ya gotta do one, you might as well do all !! It's not as difficult as you may think. You'll have to measure the length and width of the board/boards. You may be able to re-use the brackets unless they are all rusted out. Then you need indoor/outdoor carpet, stainless staples, and new galvanized lag bolts to attach the brackets to the boards. Next remove the boat !! I usually do mine when I'm fishing over a few days and have the boat in a slip and the trailer in the parking lot. Once your figure out how to do one the rest go pretty quickly. I usually do one or two in the evening after fishing and relaxing and dinner. Hint: when you remove the old carpet, cut off a foot of the end so you can use it as a pattern on how to cut the new carpet to wrap around the ends !!.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Have done a couple of different trailers , you can prep the boards at home , once you know the size , you can buy , cut to size if needed and apply the carpet, then go to the lake , drop your boat in, in the parking lot remove the old bunks and install the new ones

Usually the boards are 2 x 4 or 2 x 6 PT

2009 ELITE 210

4. Member
    Plan on replacing any nuts, bolts, washers and lag bolts. Use stainless or galvanized at worst. Don't be surprized if the bolts and nuts snap off. Sometimes you need a Forsner bit to countersink the through bolts.
    On some trailers the bunk supports are weak or rusted to the point of being ready to break off so look them over carefully.
    Use stainless or monel staples.

5. mikesxpress
    KDAT boards. Gatorbak bunk covers. Check your bunk brackets for corrosion. Gatorbak has stainless steel replacements. All new 316 SS hardware. You can build your new bunks at home and swap at the ramp unless you have carriage thru bolts holding the bunks on. That's an entirely different nightmare.

I also filled the holes for the lag bolts with silicone before I bolted them down.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

7. Member
    This is super easy. Climb under trailer and measure all the bunks. Go to hardware store and buy all the materials. Build them all at home. Go to lake launch boat and and tie up. Remove old bunks and install new ones. Took me about 30 mins. Go fishing.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

8. WRONG!!!!!!
    Is there anything other marine wood for bunks?