Questions on Wedges

so looking to get some different wedges.
    so when doing a little looking around there is a PW,SW,AW,LW and each sometimes have different degree angles
    so I get the difference in the different degree angles. but what I am a little lost on is what is the difference in the different types PW,SW,AW,LW are each going to just be called different names but have different degree angles?
    and what would be 3 that you would say are a "need" to have in the bag

Yes, different names, different lofts.I carry 4 wedges, some carry 3. My wedges are as follows:

Pitching Wedge(PW)-43 degrees
    Approach Wedge(AW)-48 degrees
    Sand Wedge (SW)-55 degrees
    Lob Wedge (LW)-60 degrees

My opinion, if you are carrying 3...PW, AW and SW...some people do not like the 60, I happen to love it and use it quite often.
    What we cannot obtain from intelligence, we can learn from experience.

3. Member
    Luke
    I carry 3 wedges

LW 58°
    SW 54°
    GW 50°

Important to keep a 4° gap between your wedges. Anymore gap and it will leave you with distances that are hard to hit with a normal swing.

Also the sole grind of wedges are important depending on the type of swing you have along with the type grass you consistently play.
    Getting the proper grind is very important to be a consistently good wedge player.

4. Member
    I currently carry 4 wedges in my bag, getting fitted next month for irons and wedges, should be interesting to see what they recommend versus what I've been using.

PW - 47*
    GW - 52*
    SW - 56*
    LW - 60*

5. Member
    I've got four wedges in my bag. I just recently added the 60* but it is great for greenside bunkers.

PW - 46*
    GW - 51*
    SW - 56*
    LW - 60*

6. Member
    I carry a 4. I'm a 4 handicap that plays twice a week and at the range 2 days.
    PW 46 degree carry distance for me 138 max 150
    GW 50 degree carry distance for me 127 max 131
    SW 56 degree carry distance for me 116 max 120
    LW 60 degree carry distance for me 100 max 108

I used to go 46, 54 and 58. My current setup is perfect for me.
    For me each degree is 4 yards of carry

Spin gets worse the harder I go at it. Gapping is the most important part, especially if you don't have time to practice. When I played a lot, I had 3 different distances for each wedge - full, 3/4 and 1/2. I used to hit wedges 3X a week for an hour each session and full swings 2 times a week (I was a range rat and loved it) Handicap was scratch then. That really allowed me to dial in yardages with spin and being able to flight them correctly.
    I don't know where we are, but we are making darn good time.

7. Member
    Name of the club (8 iron, 9 iron, Pitching wedge, gap wedge, sand wedge, etc) doesn't mean anything. There are no standards. Over the years, manufacturers have been delofting wedges and short irons so that they can advertise how much "farther" they go. The loft on your pitching wedge today, is what they would have called a 9 iron a few years ago. For this reason, they needed to come up with a name for the wedge that fits in the "gap" between what your new pitching wedge is (44-46 degrees these days) and you sand wedge (54-56 degrees). That "extra" wedge (somewhere around 48-52 degrees), which they used to call a pitching wedge.

Bottom line, lofts matter, name they give the club doesn't matter. What matters most is that you have the right combination of clubs in your bag to cover all of the distances without any large gaps where you would have to try to manufacture a shot.
    ZEROCOOL
    '07 Tracker Avalanche
    Mercury Optimax 115

8. Member
    Today I am playing with my new to me set of irons .
    PW. 43 deg
    W. 47
    W. 52
    and I am taking my 58 degree Vokey

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerocool View Post
    Name of the club (8 iron, 9 iron, Pitching wedge, gap wedge, sand wedge, etc) doesn't mean anything. There are no standards. Over the years, manufacturers have been delofting wedges and short irons so that they can advertise how much "farther" they go. The loft on your pitching wedge today, is what they would have called a 9 iron a few years ago. For this reason, they needed to come up with a name for the wedge that fits in the "gap" between what your new pitching wedge is (44-46 degrees these days) and you sand wedge (54-56 degrees). That "extra" wedge (somewhere around 48-52 degrees), which they used to call a pitching wedge.

Bottom line, lofts matter, name they give the club doesn't matter. What matters most is that you have the right combination of clubs in your bag to cover all of the distances without any large gaps where you would have to try to manufacture a shot.
    This is why I do not count the PW as a wedge. They are lofted so strong now that they are basically an old school 9 iron!