Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by InternationalMarine Brian View Post
    the nitro opinions are well founded.
    Not even remotely true but carry on with the bashing.

I would look at a Basscat Sabre, Phoenix 618, 818, or the Triton TRX189. All good boats, all have good resale and will do awesome with at least a 150HP motor and get more HP if you can. Those boats will have good speed, stable at both running on plane and fishing and will serve well if your kids get into High School or College fishing.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

I just bought a Triton 189TRX with the 175 Pro XS 4 stroke and I am very happy with my decision.

I was looking at 2019 left overs in November, so the best price for the best fitting boat was my shopping strategy.

I found a good deal on my boat, and it happened to be a Triton at a good dealer about 90 miles from my house.

I did compare the Ranger, Nitro, and Triton in a 18 or 19ft boat. Nitro is not really that good of a deal price wise when you equip it the same as my Triton came.

2019 Triton 189 TRX
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS 4 Stroke
    6" Rapid Jack Magnum Manual Plate

Absolutely agree with you here, there is no better value or quality for the money than the Nitro Z18!
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

5. California Fishing Moderator Captain Babito A7T3C's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nailbender8 View Post
    Absolutely agree with you here, there is no better value or quality for the money than the Nitro Z18!
    This. I love my Z18, and it's right in your budget. Find a leftover from the year before, save a bit more - usually around 1-2k. GL!
    2017 Nitro Z18 - Mercury ProXS 175 - 24P Fury - Elite 9 TI2 - Fortrex

I bought a left over 2007 Stratos 285 in early 2008. I never even looked at a Stratos before I bought my boat. It’s been an absolute great boat. If you have a chance go to a boat show or sports show that have a lot of different brands and check them all out. Have fun and enjoy the ride!

7. Member
    Only thing I don't like about them is having the big Z{7,8,9} or Z{18,19,20,21} block lettered on them. Some of the darker lettered ones look good though.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itperk76 View Post
    Only thing I don't like about them is having the big Z{7,8,9} or Z{18,19,20,21} block lettered on them. Some of the darker lettered ones look good though.
    Just remove them with heat & replace with decals....just cosmetics...lol

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mxmike View Post
    I have an 18' (**** fill in blank***) It's the best because I own one.
    So we should offer opinions on boats we've never owned?
    I didn't see a single post that said "This is the best boat in this category." I'm not sure what thread you read.

10. Member
    Love my 2017 Nitro Z18. I bought it late last year w/90hrs on the motor and 2+ years left on the motor warranty all for $26k.

2A2F2F24-F98D-49AD-B407-003C2CF3CEF5.jpeg
    Native Titan 10.5 Kayak

11. Member
    Before you go crazy with all the bramds - you do have a vehicle to tow your choice with right? I went with tin only because of my towing vehicle and safety of towing without trailer brakes and all that encompases (plug, controller, etc.)

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryPF View Post
    Before you go crazy with all the bramds - you do have a vehicle to tow your choice with right? I went with tin only because of my towing vehicle and safety of towing without trailer brakes and all that encompases (plug, controller, etc.)
    I think boat trailers, at least any 18-20 foot boat trailers, use surge brakes instead of electric brakes, so there is no need for a brake controller.

13. Member
    ^
    This my Triton 18 TRX trailer came with disc surge brakes and work very well.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

14. Member
    Look at what Charger has to offer. Family owned, been around a long time, excellent quality.

15. Member
    When I bought in 2014 I owned a 17'6 alum and a 19'6 Ranger fiberglass. I went in the middle with 18'6 glass an have been happy. The 150 pushes mine about 60mph and that is faster then I normally run. The single console on a 18'6 is key. You don't have enough room for a dual console.

since I purchased the alum have become longer and heavier so they might be legit option for you. I've probably buy glass again though and I think the layout of the top models and build details should be studied.

I can't recommend looking around for a used 18ft with almost no use. They are hard to find but when you do it is like jackpot
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

16. Member
    Wait til the spring event at Bass pro and buy a left over z18 w/175. They offer you more warranty and 750 gift card to bps and money for nitro gear. I got mine for 27k with one pole and a 175xs. Paid extra for 7 year Platinum warranty. Used gift card to buy the other power pole
    2017 Z18
    175 ProXS
    Dual Poles
    Ultrex
    2 Garmin 93SV+

17. Member
    I have to say I went with a 2021 Triton 189 TRX. My choices were limited to the dealers in my area since I didn't want to travel to get the boat fixed. My choices were Skeeter, Triton, Nitro, Ranger, and to a lesser extent Phoenix. I was looking for a boat in the 18 foot category. So Skeeter zx150, Triton 18trx and 189trx, Nitro z18, Ranger Z185 and Phoenix 818. The Phoenix was not available and time to get one was a guess so since I am very impatient I had to rule that out. I hear it is a great boat but want to be able to kick tires before buying. All of these boats were nearly identical in size.

1) Sat in a Nitro Z18. Man that was nice. Fully rigged with Lowrance and ghost equipment already linked and 150 for I think about $45,000 out the door. And it did say it included TTL. A lot of boat for a really good price. I just hated the way you sat in it. The seats were so high you had to lean over to grab the steering wheel. The top of your legs were higher than the side of the boat. It felt like you could just slide out the side if something happened. My wife hated that too. I also really didn't like the fact the front deck had no side gunnels on it. I like a little lip on it so if something happens to the rod holders my rods wont just fall overboard. I also find the side of the boat by kicking it while fighting a fish. Just something I guess I have gotten used to doing. It also had smaller pumps all around than the others I was looking at. Livewell and bilge. Might just be little things but it would have driven my anal butt crazy over time. Also I was just a little hesitant about having to take it back to Bass Pro for service. The one in my area just doesn't have the best reputation for that. Not the worst in the Bass Pro world but still a lot of horror stories from people I know.

2) Skeeter was nice too. Seats were a lot more comfortable to me. Maybe because they sat a little lower. The reason the skeeter isn't in my garage, which I really thought it would be, was the livewell, rear storage and deck, and limited to 150hp. It also had a 5 inch hummingbird on the console and 70lb Minnkota trolling motor. That all can be corrected but I didn't want to have to start adding a bunch of things to get it to where I wanted. Those things just put me off of it a bit. It was the least expensive of all the boats I looked at but as sparsely appointed as it was it just threw me off a bit. I did revisit that boat before I made my final choice.

3) Rangers are just nice boats. What more can you say about an Ranger. I was looking at the z185. The same dealer sells Ranger and Triton. The z185 is obviously more of a 1st bass boat type boat. Kind of sparsely setup. Single axle trailer, Small 5 inch lowrance hook on dash, nothing on front, and 70lb Minnkota, 150 Mercury 4 stroke not the Pro xs. In this model the drivers seat wasn't very comfortable. No storage in between the seats or anything. Being a Ranger it was same cost as all the others I looked at but with much less on it. I am sure it is well built but I feel other boats are also.

4) Triton impressed me from the start. Both the 18trx and the 189trx. The 18 was nice with the 200hp. It also had stereo and Lowrance 9 inch hds console and front. That would have worked great. I think it was selling for $51,000 or $52,000. I think for that it was a good price. Of course it had all the pro aeriated separate live wells and tandem trailer. I am not sure if had a specific package or not but I couldn't think of anything more I could have wanted add to it.

B) The 189 TRX is what I went with. It came with the 175 Pro XS. I was really only looking for a 150hp boat so to me that was a plus. Really didn't need the 200hp with 70mph speed. You just really can't run 70, or even 60, most places I fish so that wasn't important to me. 175 on a large heavy 18 foot boat just seemed better for hole shot when loaded over a 150hp. The 189 and the 18 are the same hull. Well at least the 2021 model was. They are removing the 189 for 2022 and going with just the 18trx but will put a 175 on it for the same reason the 189 was even around. Price point with a few less amenities. I put a 9 inch HDS on the front of mine and is all I will need. Glad I went with the 9 for these aging eyes. My175 came with everything the 18 had with the exception of the 200, front fish finder, and stereo. At least all I could find after going over both boats sitting next to each other. Plus I saved about $7000 over the 18trx. The dealership was also one I had done business with for previous boats and rv's and have always done a good job for me over all the years. I trust them. For me I feel I made my best choice from setup to price and to dealership. The criteria I used to pick this boat may not fit others but wanted to explain my choice so it may help others decide.
    Last edited by Rigit; 11-23-2021 at 01:54 PM.

18. Member
    Mine is an OLD ( 2005) 185VS Ranger Comanche. All the boat I ever needed and then some ! LOVE it !!!!!

19. Member
    Congratulations, you made a wise choice!

20. Banned
    Too many issues with those tin boats, personally if you want a bass boat layout stick with a glass rig. I have a 2013 ranger z118 I picked up second hand with 18 hours. It's been a great little boat, very well build lots of storage and easy to tow around. For the millions of smaller lakes we have here in Ontario it easy launching around these poor ramps. Paired with a 1500 pickup I can throw this boat anywhere. I have a dual console, and yes there would be more room with just the one, it wasn't a deal breaker for me. If I had the choice I'd go single but I can't complain. And with a Yamaha 4stroke it's crazy reliable and I can get mid 50's loaded and high 50's light load.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12