Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Battle of the Aluminum What Would You Choose

If you had the choice, which option would you choose and why:

Xpress X21
    Vexus AVX 2080
    Ranger RT 198P
    Crestliner PT20

2. Member
    Xpress if $ were no consideration between the four choices. The 250hp rating and SeaDek look appealing to me. Also the HyperLift hull is proven.
    Last edited by yogib; 02-26-2020 at 09:06 AM.

3. Member
    I would be torn between Xpress and Vexus. I really like the fit and finish of the vexus, and the styling... But the overall performance you can get from the Xpress is a real consideration. Have never seen an Xpress in person, so I cannot speak to the fit and finish, only base it on what you read about the brand. But that Ranger offers a ton of value.
    Last edited by MetsFan9; 02-26-2020 at 09:16 AM.

4. Member
    Ranger or vexus only because those models are sold locally here.

I like the Xpress but i have never seen one in person, no crestliner dealers nearby either!

What about the Alumacraft Pro 200? Any reviews on this boat. Seems hard to find.

6. Member
    Xpress

7. Member
    Out of that lineup the Xpress.

8. Member
    The closest dealer that sells that list. I have fished out of my Uncle's X17 and X19 for more than 15 years. They are tanks and run like a glass boat. If my dealer sold them, I'd have an X19 with a 200. A solid 70mph boat.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

9. Member
    After seeing one up close, would have to same Vexus.
    Semper Fi

Xpress but I may be biased as I am on my second Xpress with no thoughts getting rid of her.

11. Member
    I already have an AVX 1880, so given the choices above, the Vexus 2080 definitely has my vote.

12. Member
    Altro which Xpress do you have?

13. Member
    Dealer, price, and personal preference go a long way. That said, the OP has them listed in the order of my preference if everything else is equal.

14. Member
    Xpress for sure but if money was not an issue I would splurge for a kind pro v bass.

Vexus and it isn't even close.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Ill take an Express
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200
    Gas mileage is for sissies

17. Member
    You listed them in the order I would take them!
    2015 Ranger rt188/115 Etec

Quote Originally Posted by MetsFan9 View Post
    If you had the choice, which option would you choose and why:

Xpress X21
    Vexus AVX 2080
    Ranger RT 198P
    Crestliner PT20
    Why not just get a newer version of what you have and get a 200 on it and have something better than all these options?
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Of your list the Ranger is sort of the odd man out since its rated for 150 hp while ther others are 200 and above. Not even close performance wise although havnt seen too many blistering speeds posted on the vexus with a 200 on it alot of posts saying 63-64. Kindof on the slow end for that hp range. Crestliners had some transom issues not sure if they figured that out or not. I finally got to see a vexus in person at a boat show it was an 1880. I will say the welds and construction were very very nice and i liked the details on the trailer. Sitting in the seat i sat above the windshield which i found very odd i would be eating alot of bugs driving it and the shifter was way too low and close to me. Im a skinny guy and my thumb hit my leg trying to run the trim switch in the full throttle position. The driving position didnt impress me at all. Honestly its like standing in a skinny ranger on the front deck layout was exactly like the rt188 and console felt the same too just more gauges and too low. Switch panel was just like a phoenix just toggles instead of rotary switches. Nice boat overall but not worth all the fuss alot of guys put into it. Certainly wouldnt give up my nice glass boat for it. “Isnt even close”
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

20. Member
    Roy, it was actually a general question on these rigs, if i did upgrade my Triton I would not consider these a downgrade. With three kids the idea of aluminum does appeal from a number of perspectives such as less up keep, less to worry about when beaching and docking at camp, cheaper to tow, and more value. A 20 foot aluminum is far more affordable than its glass counterparts. Most of the lakes and rivers I run are small and rocky, glass isnt needed, more of a luxury. I am plenty happy with my 150 on my 18XS, changing isnt a reflection of performance for me, but rather a bigger platform for my kids and something a bit more practical. Trading for the 18TRX just gets me more HP. Good part is the twins are still little, so till the need to change i will be running my 18XS which I love. But sooner rather later I will outgrow the 18 footer. An I have spent years fishing from aluminum, so the transition for me isnt a big deal psychologically haha.
    Last edited by MetsFan9; 02-26-2020 at 11:28 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast