Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    I am on my 2nd Xpress started with x19 now a x21 .The sea dek is NICE, Storage is super big ( I can't even buy enough tackle to fill the boat up). Run with the big glass boats been in some pretty rough water that when it show out it's great.
    Not knocking any of them but I saw a Vexus at a tackle show a month ago very nice but the console to me looked like an after thought.
    The Ranger is built by JM now so some where ( I think) he has found some ways to cut to save a penny.
    Crestliner don't know anything about.

I do like alu boat they are tough if it gets a scratch I can fix it myself . So get one that's tuff rides like a glass and you can't hardly tear up.
    LIFE IS GOOD
    STILL CAN'T CATCH A FISH.

I raised three kids while owning bass boats. If I did it over again a Lund Pro V Bass or a Charger Fish n ski would be what I'd get. But out of your list The RT198p, unless I wanted a 20' plus boat then it would be the Xpress.

Vexus 1st(of course I own one) then Xpress is a very close 2nd. Sitting in a Vexus is one thing but actually running one and seeing how they perform is a whole other experience. The boats perform damn good. Just drove in an Xpress this weekend and man they are very close in performance w/ the 250 better. But the fit finish definitely goes to Vexus. Ranger, will never own one again. I am not speaking negative about brand as they make an awesome boat. I just had a shit luck with my 188. I was able to get in Keith Poche's new tin Triton(19 TXP) at a MLF event, mirror image of a 198P but the Ranger has a better fit/finish.
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesslk View Post
    Vexus 1st(of course I own one) then Xpress is a very close 2nd. Sitting in a Vexus is one thing but actually running one and seeing how they perform is a whole other experience. The boats perform damn good. Just drove in an Xpress this weekend and man they are very close in performance w/ the 250 better. But the fit finish definitely goes to Vexus. Ranger, will never own one again. I am not speaking negative about brand as they make an awesome boat. I just had a shit luck with my 188. I was able to get in Keith Poche's new tin Triton(19 TXP) at a MLF event, mirror image of a 198P but the Ranger has a better fit/finish.
    Never seen an Xpress in person, is the fit and finish a major issue in these boats, or are you really paying for the hull and it's performance. I have seen a Vexus, they are very nice, great to hear they ride like they look

Quote Originally Posted by MetsFan9 View Post
    Never seen an Xpress in person, is the fit and finish a major issue in these boats, or are you really paying for the hull and it's performance. I have seen a Vexus, they are very nice, great to hear they ride like they look

IMO, the fit/finish of Xpress is not an issue. The SeaDek is a really nice option, wish Vexus would offer that in their boats.

Vexus just hit a home run with their overall fit/finish, I don't see any tin brand that has the edge on them in regards to the overall look.
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

6. Member
    Cant say I disagree with that.

Vexus...up here in the north the Vee hull is a must in big water.....also the Vexus supposedly has actually dry storage and better fit and finish
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

8. Member
    Well if I had my choice any money was not a big deal I would start at the top of your list and work down. If I had to think a little more about money I would get the RT198 that is a nice boat in that price range with a good network of dealers.

9. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Ranger all the way if your priority is catching fish and looking like you know what you are doing.

If your priority is to look pretty and talk about how you have the advantage of "fit, finish and curb appeal" or if you like to talk about how fast your boat is, then one of the other options may be your huckleberry...

2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Fish View Post
    Ranger all the way if your priority is catching fish and looking like you know what you are doing.

If your priority is to look pretty and talk about how you have the advantage of "fit, finish and curb appeal" or if you like to talk about how fast your boat is, then one of the other options may be your huckleberry...

But does it fish flat?

11. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    But does it fish flat?
    You betcha.... Can even catch Flatheads.
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

12. Banned
    You betcha.... Can even catch Flatheads.
    Can you set your beer on a flathead?

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    Can you set your beer on a flathead?
    Definitely, but only after the flathead stops the "spin move".
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

14. Member
    I have ridden in the Express X model boat in
    a heavy chop. If you closed your eyes you would
    think you were in glass.
    The down side of a high performance aluminum boat,
    is metal fatigue after prolonged rough water use.
    Glass flexes and returns to its original shape w/o
    stress. Aluminum does to some extent, but w/hard use
    the metal has to eventually crack or a weld will fail.
    Its all on the operator as to how long his boat lives.
    LDS
    Larry D. Scott Retired KY Water patrol/F&W
    www.greatscottshooters.com

2008 TRACKER TV 18 w/150 Mercury 4S
    MK Ultrex 80lb, 102 Garmin Live scope
    and a UHD93SV Garmin on the bow.
    UHD 93SV at the console.

15. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Definitely, but only after the flathead stops the "spin move".
    Exactly, just like a Gator...

Speaking of Gator, I wonder how our dearly departed brother's Gator Trax is coming along...?
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

16. Member
    Xpress
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

Exactly, just like a Gator...

Speaking of Gator, I wonder how our dearly departed brother's Gator Trax is coming along...?
    RIP Chicken
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200
    Gas mileage is for sissies

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesslk View Post
    IMO, the fit/finish of Xpress is not an issue. The SeaDek is a really nice option, wish Vexus would offer that in their boats.

Vexus just hit a home run with their overall fit/finish, I don't see any tin brand that has the edge on them in regards to the overall look.
    Huh - Xpress has the worst fit and finish of those listed - they live on their name and speed alone. All have small decks. You want a boat. Sea Ark BC 210, Alumacraft XB 200, have huge decks and are big bass boats. Not the wedge shaped of the others.

19. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorShine View Post
    Huh - Xpress has the worst fit and finish of those listed - they live on their name and speed alone. All have small decks. You want a boat. Sea Ark BC 210, Alumacraft XB 200, have huge decks and are big bass boats. Not the wedge shaped of the others.
    But they are not pretty...
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

Quote Originally Posted by MetsFan9 View Post
    Roy, it was actually a general question on these rigs, if i did upgrade my Triton I would not consider these a downgrade. With three kids the idea of aluminum does appeal from a number of perspectives such as less up keep, less to worry about when beaching and docking at camp, cheaper to tow, and more value. A 20 foot aluminum is far more affordable than its glass counterparts. Most of the lakes and rivers I run are small and rocky, glass isnt needed, more of a luxury. I am plenty happy with my 150 on my 18XS, changing isnt a reflection of performance for me, but rather a bigger platform for my kids and something a bit more practical. Trading for the 18TRX just gets me more HP. Good part is the twins are still little, so till the need to change i will be running my 18XS which I love. But sooner rather later I will outgrow the 18 footer. An I have spent years fishing from aluminum, so the transition for me isnt a big deal psychologically haha.
    I never really understood the “less upkeep” statement on aluminum boats compared to glass. If its a plain jane boat then yea but just about all the nicer 18ft and up aluminum boats are painted on the bottom as well. So aluminum or glass if you arent willing to wipe the whole boat down and keep it waxed its gonna look just as crappy. If you fish nasty rocks or beach alot that can warrant it but a big rock can punch a hole in aluminum all the same. When i think of upkeep i think of maintanence on the motor and trailer hubs etc and that is the same regardless.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast