Thread: 24v to 36v

24v to 36v

I just updated my 24v trolling motor to a 36v and for some reason I don't have power it, betteries are are wired for a 36v but I'm missing something any ideas ?

2. Member
    36 Volt diagram..... Is the breaker good?......Did you rewire a plug for the T-motor, if so, is it correctly wired?....... Is there an on/off switch on the trolling motor pedal?.....Are all the batteries good, charged, supplying 36 volts?

Inked36v_wiring_LI.jpg
    Last edited by Ed R; 02-29-2020 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Jonestrollingmotor
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Did your previous setup have a jumper at the batteries?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    I just did the same thing and I wound up having to do more than just add another battery and jumper due to the existing wiring in my boat. My boat was wired for 12/24V so I had to disconnect a couple wires, re-wire the plug at the bow, take out the existing 40A switches and replace with a 60A breaker, and also add the battery and extra jumper. Someone here gave me very nice, detailed instructions for what I needed to do with my wiring, so just let me know if you would like me to forward it on to you. If your boat is wired similarly, it might help get things straightened out.

You probably had a 4 wire set up for the 12/24. Make sure to remove the jumper at the plugin and on the plug if there is one. Now only use TWO wires connected to the battery. 1-RED and 1-BLACK. Run the RED from battery 1 to the in side of the breaker, and then the BLACK from Battery 3 to the front of the boat. Then only use TWO of the wires at the Female side (red and black) and then the same connections on the Male side. Use a meter and test for 24v.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bentrod202 View Post
    I just updated my 24v trolling motor to a 36v and for some reason I don't have power it, betteries are are wired for a 36v but I'm missing something any ideas ?
    Depending on how you wired, could be several issues. Can you expand on what you have and what you did.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

7. Member
    I have an 07 Triton tr20 x it had a 24v on it I replaced it with a 36v so I had to add an additional battery and charger, the batteries are wired properly.
    Are there other leads comming from the two cut off switches that I'm missing ? None of my other boats had cut off switches.

8. Member
    wmitch2 is the one who helped me when I was switching from 24V to 36V in my 2000 Ranger. I'm guessing your Triton is set up very similar. Here is exactly what he sent me (your wire colors could be different than mine):

It looks like you're replacing a 12/24 set up, so the first thing is to un-hook every thing !! Tape off the ends of the ORANGE and WHITE wires, you won't be using them. Starting with the batteries, each battery will need to be hooked up in SERIES, so, hook battery 1 NEG to battery 2 POS, then battery 2 NEG, to battery 3 POS. You show in the bilge pic that there are 2 breakers (black box with a switch) You'll have to remove them and find out what amp they are rated for. You'll need one rated at 60 Amp. so you may have to get a new one. Those may only be rated at 30 or 40 amps. Next connect the NEG of battery 3 to the BLACK wire in the bilge, and the POS on battery 1 to the red wire to one side of the 60 amp breaker. Ignore the Orange and White wires, you won't need them. Now go to the PLUG at the bow. Remove the Orange and White wires, you won't need them. Tape off the ends and push them back into the plug hole. There should be a "Jumper" (strip of Metal connecting one pin to another) on the plug that also needs to be removed on the female and the male ends. Now you should only have the RED and Black ends on the female plug. Now go back to the bilge and connect the RED wire that goes to the bow to the other side of the breaker. Go back to the bow and Make sure you get 36v +/- reading on the pins using a Volt/Ohm meter. On the MALE part of the plug, connect the RED and BLACK wires from the Trolling motor to the same PIN to match the Female plug in. You should now be set to go !!

I followed his instructions and got mine set up correctly. The only thing you might need is to purchase a 60A breaker. The two on/off switches I had in my boat by the batteries were only 40A breakers which is not enough for a 36V motor. I took them out and replaced them with a 60A breaker.

9. Member
    Im doing the exact same thing soon so I’m glad I found this thread.

@coreynov93

Appreciate you posting the advice you got, I’m going to follow those steps too, thank you

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bentrod202 View Post
    I have an 07 Triton tr20 x it had a 24v on it I replaced it with a 36v so I had to add an additional battery and charger, the batteries are wired properly
    Are there other leads comming from the two cut off switches that I'm missing ? None of my other boats had cut off switches.
    On the Triton, it normally has a 3 wire plug and if all the wires are used, it would be wired for 12/24 at the plug. You would have one ground, and two hots (probably orange and red) The Ranger mentioned above would have been wired with 4 wires, so it could possibly mislead you. Anyway, you need to check the back of the plug, it will have a black, silver, and gold screws for connections. Then on the trolling motor plug, make sure the two wires are connected ground to black and hot to the same color screw as the red on your boat plug. Now, at the batteries, you'll have the same three colors that are connected to the batteries. You'll want to connect the black to battery 1 ground and the red to a 60A breaker, then from the breaker to positive of battery 3. Then a jumper from positive to neg of battery 1 to 2 and battery 2 to 3.
    This should get you going.
    BTW, someone did a drawing above which is correct but the breaker is mis labeled. The breaker does not have a negative or ground connection to it. It has positive in and positive out.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

11. Member
    Thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it I think I finally got it sorted out.

12. Member
    Just curious, what batteries you guys using to run a 36v TM?
    Need advice on that.

Also, are you guys running a battery charger with your set up?
    Ive seen guys use a Minn Kota charger with their setup but do they work good and how do you know which one I would need?

Here’s a diagram I found:

http://walleyeworkshop.com/sites/def...20set%20up.pdf
    Last edited by datbasstho; 03-02-2020 at 01:54 PM.

13. Member
    Currently I have two Optima blue tops and one interstate group 24 mainly because of the limited space I have.

14. Member
    Glad i found this post! Upgrading from 24 to 36. Currently have a 4 wire plug (2 red, 2 black) with each pair going back to a its own battery to complete the 24v. No jumper cable involved. My question is do I remove one pair of wires from the plug and just use the other set for my new 36 volt set up?

I am going to be using a 60amp circuit breaker as well. Do I run the wires from the plug directly to the circuit breaker then to the appropriate batteries to complete my 36v system?

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by beeware290 View Post
    Glad i found this post! Upgrading from 24 to 36. Currently have a 4 wire plug (2 red, 2 black) with each pair going back to a its own battery to complete the 24v. No jumper cable involved. My question is do I remove one pair of wires from the plug and just use the other set for my new 36 volt set up?

I am going to be using a 60amp circuit breaker as well. Do I run the wires from the plug directly to the circuit breaker then to the appropriate batteries to complete my 36v system?

Thanks in advance!
    Yes you just need to use one set of red/black wires.
    Run the red wire thru the breaker and to the positive terminal of the last battery in your series battery setup
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger519VS View Post
    Yes you just need to use one set of red/black wires.
    Run the red wire thru the breaker and to the positive terminal of the last battery in your series battery setup
    Thanks Butch! So i'm am going to run the negative from the plug straight to negative on 1st battery?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by beeware290 View Post

Thanks in advance!
    Or you could not worry about the rewiring and just add a battery, move one of the positive from one of the batteries to the positive of the other battery. Then add a jumper from the negative of the new battery to the positive post that you just removed the positive lead from.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

18. Member
    John, I like that idea! Question, where would the circuit breaker fit into the set up?